Build your own high quality CD player
Jul 6, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 92
Again I'm left speechless and in awe of the amount of time and effort that must have gone into that project. It is, in a word, beautiful...

Nate

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #62 of 92
Thanks for the thumbs up. It's basically as done as it's going to be until I think about adding a lid, or perhaps shielding the AC wires a bit better (I get a relatively strong 60Hz hum at the highest levels on my Goldpoint attenuator -- obviously nothing anyone would ever be able to hear at such earshattering levels, but still something I'd like to be rid of). Sitting pretty and burning in now...it survived overnight with no meltdown, so that's a good sign.

Case still gets very hot, as expected, but I'm not going to bother ventilating it further. Had to decrease the current running through the Dynahi because that was making things *way* too hot -- replaced the 100ohm resistor bridging the transistors to an 87ohm, which brought the current down to more acceptable levels. It had been running at about 800ma per channel before.
eek.gif

Couple more, all sown up...

5660front1.jpg

5660rear.jpg

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #65 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
How does it sound? Looks great, man.

No complaints so far other than the 60Hz hum (which I've figured out is due purely to proximity to the bottom box), but I'm going to let it burn in before giving much commentary. At the very earliest we have an Illinois meet two weekends from now, so there should be some outside opinions at that point.

edit: I think I might have blown a resistor in the attenuator at the 10kohm level...or something. Because there's a really jarring hum at that level...
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #66 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I gotta say, I don't know if I could dedicate myself to a huge project like that. Very nicely done though.

Heh. There are beginner DIY projects, advanced DIY projects, then this. I don't know what to call it. Psychotic DIY?

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #68 of 92
Awesome achievement...
eek.gif
I really like you attitude of no-compromise in design and choice of components. Congratulations!

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #69 of 92
I was kind of surprised by your report of hum, but I can see that you may get some stray EMI if they are stacked. No problem, a small spacing between the power supply or using covers for the toroidals will clear that up I'm sure.

Bravo! It looks great, congrats.

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #70 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
I was kind of surprised by your report of hum, but I can see that you may get some stray EMI if they are stacked. No problem, a small spacing between the power supply or using covers for the toroidals will clear that up I'm sure.

Yea, I was a bit surprised to hear it too. But really, given the thickness of the cases themselves (~1.75 inches for each) it's not too surprising that some stray EMI makes its way into the top box. I'm going to putz around with some materials and see what makes a difference. I had thought to sandwich a heavy layer between the two boxes to deaden the bottom one, so that may do it. Really, I only have to raise the top box about an inch for it to stop.

No room for toroid covers, thought to do that. They're *that* close to the top of the box.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #72 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman79
Jason,

She sure is beautiful. How much does it all weigh?

Bryan

Good question. <<goes to check>>

About 22 lbs. Most of that is probably the bottom box -- I doubt the top one weighs more than 5 or 6 lbs.

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #73 of 92
Excellent Strohmie
cool.gif

I also use Pedja's dac in my main system with TDA1541S2 double crown and the Reclocker.
It took a while to burn in but the sound is now excellent, certainly better than my last diy TDA1543 dac
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #75 of 92
Jason,
I really admire your effort man! Well done, I'm looking forward of reading impressions of your high quality CD player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back