Budget rigs for the HD800, what's the best you've heard?
Mar 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, after having my socks blown off by a Buffalo 32S > Balanced Beta22 > HD800 rig at the last meet, I want to find out just how picky the HD800 is with it's amps and sources, and if there are any systems out there which can get the HD800 "most of the way" to what I heard out of the above, with a more modest price tag.

So, for those who have heard the HD800 at their best out of top-tier amps and sources, have any cheaper systems pleasantly surprised you?

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 49
You are going to break your bank account
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, for those who have heard the HD800 at their best out of top-tier amps and sources, have any cheaper systems pleasantly surprised you?

Yes, I have a very cheap, nevertheless almost equal alternative to my Corda Symphony (in some aspects it's even better). But there's one decisive precondition: a DAC with very low output impedance (< 60 Ω) capable of delivering enough current to drive the HD 800 directly. In my case it's the Bel Canto DAC2. I use a (no-name) 500-ohm potentiometer switched between DAC and headphone for decreasing the signal volume. If you're lucky to have or find a DAC with variable line out, the potentiometer could be renounced – but I guess this configuration is rare (since variable outputs usually are of higher impedance).

Of course the DAC2 isn't a cheap DAC, but I think there should be good sounding DACs or even CDPs with low output impedance around which don't cost a fortune.

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there's one decisive precondition: a DAC with very low output impedance (< 60 Ω) capable of delivering enough current to drive the HD 800 directly. In my case it's the Bel Canto DAC2.

It's interesting that this is the solution you found. Am I to infer from this that a high quality source is more important to the HD800 than a top-notch amp?

I'm coming to a similar conclusion as well. I wonder if a Buffalo 32S with Volumite would drive them adequately? I can't find the specs for output impedance or current/voltage output for it.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting that this is the solution you found. Am I to infer from this that a high quality source is more important to the HD800 than a top-notch amp?

That's not exactly my approach. But a cheap amp will probably always represent a bottleneck, so if you can renounce it, you save money and theoretically avoid the signal degradation that comes even with the best amps. Every electronics step you can renounce brings you closer to the original signal. Provided that the configuration is capable of driving voice coils instead of input impedances without any drawbacks. That's the case with the Bel Canto and its output impedance of 20 Ω.

Quote:

I'm coming to a similar conclusion as well. I wonder if a Buffalo 32S with Volumite would drive them adequately? I can't find the specs for output impedance or current/voltage output for it.

Unfortunately I can't answer this question myself. In any event, measuring data alone may not be enough, you need to try if the configuration really works (also in terms of sonic synergy). I just picked up a comment that says you can get the Buffalo's output impedance down to 21 Ω, but at the same time it mentions that this is not recommended for driving headphones, for whatever reason. BTW, isn't it the Volumite which is supposed to drive the headphone then? (You see: I don't have a clue about these devices.)

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, isn't it the Volumite which is supposed to drive the headphone then? (You see: I don't have a clue about these devices.)

The Volumite is just a volume control module. The Buffalo has an I/V stage capable of driving headphones direct, which basically becomes the headphone amp.

I should be able to try out this combo myself in the nearish future, so I'll report back with findings then
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else heard any particularly synergistic combos with the HD800?

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just based on specs, Lake People G100 should do fine, it's $550 + shipping from England.

I'm more looking for people that have actually heard the HD800, both out of top-notch equipment and lower-end rigs, and found the ideal price/performance points. Spec sheets don't really tell the whole story.

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 49
I tried them from NAD set up: C515BEE CD Player + C325BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier.
I dont know much about what NAD put inside their products, but the sound was more than just decent, means that you dont have to spend sky high dollar to get what you may like, its more like matching than amount you spend, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back