Budget Grado SR60i DAC + AMP
Jul 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stinkysbsc

Head-Fier
I own the Grado SR60i and I currently have them running some 320kbps MP3s out of an Asus Xonar U3, which I have plugged into my laptop. I am going to be doing some nice mods to my Grado, and I was wondering if I might benefit from a better source. For the DAC + AMP, I don't really want to spend more than $100, I have more money, but I don't see the point in spending more money on the source than on the headphones... I haven't done any DIY DACs or AMPs before, however if it has good value return, I am willing to give it a go because I have all the tools required.

Cheers!

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm not familiar with the Xonar, but I'd probably ditch the lossy mp3s first. Then you could try replacing the Xonar with a combined DAC/amp. I've been thinking of picking up an Audioengine D1 for this purpose but haven't decided yet.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I own the Grado SR60i and I currently have them running some 320kbps MP3s out of an Asus Xonar U3, which I have plugged into my laptop. I am going to be doing some nice mods to my Grado, and I was wondering if I might benefit from a better source. For the DAC + AMP, I don't really want to spend more than $100, I have more money, but I don't see the point in spending more money on the source than on the headphones... I haven't done any DIY DACs or AMPs before, however if it has good value return, I am willing to give it a go because I have all the tools required.

Cheers!

That U3 looks like an interesting little gizmo. I just did a quick search on it to check it out, and that's probably all you need to drive any Grado, There are more benefits to going up the Grado ladder than what an amp may or may not provide. What sort of mods are you planning with your SR60?

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 5
I am planning on doing an Aluminium-mod supplied by a headphone store in Singapore, as I will be moving there in a couple days. So essentially you are replacing the plastic air chambers and grills with aluminium, and it comes with the jumbo pads also. Then I will do the basic re-cabling, where you simply cut the Y-splitter and tubing upward from the splitter, and then braid the cable. 

I was looking into an amplifier, and I found a nice Cmoy RA1 amp on ebay that this guy pumps out! It seems REALLY promising. I was just wondering how this amp fairs with other headphones like the Fostex T50RP or Fischer Audio FA-011...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back