Budget earphones ~$30
Nov 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FinalAura

New Head-Fier
Hello, its been awhile

I'm looking for a pair of earphones or iems around 30$ price range. My koss ksc75 and jvc marshmallows both died and I really liked the sound from both. I liked the ksc75 more, but both were great.

This will be mainly for use with an iphone4 with high bit mp3s but mostly streaming pandora. I know the quality isn't that great on pandora, but I still wanna get he best earphones I can get for the money.

I got the ksc75 for like $8 and marshmallows for $10 so that knda explains my reason for such a low budget, haha. So is there anything as good as these for replacements? Thanks!

Oh yeah, I mostly listen to pop rock and acoustic stuff

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Check this must read, multi review of about 50 headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-52-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-esw9-added-10-29

P.S about the ksc-75 you can benefit from their life-warranty.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 10
If you've used KSC75 and loved it, then PortaPros aren't for you. They're quite opposite - the former has sparkling highs and punchy lows, the latter has much more recessed highs and boomy lows.

I'd say use your Koss Life Time Warranty and get a KSC75 new replacement. Cheapest investment that allows you the sound signature back heheh.

Edit: doh angelopsaro beats me to the punch.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
you can try a used pair of igrados, if you can find it for that price. for $30 you cant really do much better than the koss portapros.

Cramming those into one's ear canals might be a bit tough..

@OP: you can currently preorder the Mp4nation M1 or ProAlpha for $29.50 - one of the best deals out there. You can also get a Meelec M6 for ~$20 nowadays. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm going to put my vote in for the Hifiman RE2.  Great clarity, sparkly treble, smooth mids, very clean sounding, not much bass quantity, but enough for rock imho. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the lifetime warranty with koss! Do they need the original box and receipt though? If so, i'm out of luck cause I have neither...

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the RE2, M1, and Proalpha.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the lifetime warranty with koss! Do they need the original box and receipt though? If so, i'm out of luck cause I have neither...

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the RE2, M1, and Proalpha.

I doubt they need the box, and as far as the receipt goes, I don't think they should need one. After all, a lifetime warranty means that they don't even need to know when or where you bought it - it will always be under warranty.

I had my KSC35's replaced once, was quick and easy.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Sweet, thanks a_recording. Just checked their website and it seems pretty painless, though ill be paying more for shipping (to and from) compared to the $8 i actually bought the headphones for, haha. 

edit: quick question

If i cut quarter-sized circles in the foam cushions, would that void my warranty? I did it as part the "kramer mod" (i believe that what it was called), but I did not drill any holes through the black plate thing. I just messed with those foam cushions

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Just say you lost the cushions. Or rats got at them. Who knows? Since cushions are replaceable parts I dont think that would void the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back