Broken RE0's and bad luck with IEM's
Dec 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 30
My re0's have just become defective after 4 months of use, only mine was the left earphone. Pity, but you get what you pay for. The Fischer Audio DBA-02 may be something to look into.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 30
mine died a couple of days ago. It looks like it has the same problem as others have described.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 30
It's sad the re-0's are such great sounding headphones...Mine died too right side I think it's cable failure though because I managed to get some signal when I moved it around. I was going to send them in for replacement but honestly I don't know if it's worth it

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 30
I too, receive some signal when moving the cable around. I've even gone as far as using scotch tape to keep it held in place. I'm desperate to keep them working so I can try them with my coming S:Flo2. After that I'm going to buy me a different, but similar sounding pair of IEMs.

Zeppelin rules!

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 30
So I wear my RE0's out today, into the freezing weather (-20F windchill), and after a little bit of walking outside, I realize that the left earphone split. The metal behind the grooves and the part where the wire comes in is the place where the metal split. Now, is this a problem with these headphones if you take them into really cold weather, and they will shrink, at least the metal, and cause the earphone to break into two? Or did they just become unglued? I've only had this pair for less than 4 months.

Now only the wires are connecting the tip of the earphone to the rest of the headphones. I hear no audio difference though when listening to them, but I don't know how long it will last. Is this a problem others have had? Also, will Head-direct replace my pair under their 1 yr warranty?

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #23 of 30
The RE0 has had known issues with quality control for, by my count, at least 14 months. My friend only had his for a couple of weeks when the top of the earpiece separated from the base - he went to the trouble of sending it back to the reseller and it was, to their credit, professionally repaired. When mine suffered the same fate, I tried Supa-glue to no avail - binned them shortly thereafter. By contrast, I have a pair of Sony IEMs which never rarely rate a mention on HF, and they have stood up to sustained abuse for over 18 months. The RE0 are hothouse flowers IMO - keep them on the bedside table or cast a wider net.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 30
You should go with the ER4S if you like the sound signature of the RE0, but much better sound quality. I have had my ER4S for almost 7 years! Not a problem with them.

My main problem with the RE0 is that one of the tips was loose out of the box. As a result, the tip is always left behind in my ear when I try to pull out the earphone. Then I have to fish it out, everytime. I tried the tip with my right and left ear and it was the same deal. So I emailed Head-Direct, but they were not convinced. They were saying that the problem was my right ear. I really got fed up emailing them back and forth. However, I am not happy with Head-Direct!

Quote:SUBMIT
I too, receive some signal when moving the cable around. I've even gone as far as using scotch tape to keep it held in place. I'm desperate to keep them working so I can try them with my coming S:Flo2. After that I'm going to buy me a different, but similar sounding pair of IEMs.

Zeppelin rules!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #25 of 30

Quote:
You should go with the ER4S if you like the sound signature of the RE0, but much better sound quality. I have had my ER4S for almost 7 years! Not a problem with them.

My main problem with the RE0 is that one of the tips was loose out of the box. As a result, the tip is always left behind in my ear when I try to pull out the earphone. Then I have to fish it out, everytime. I tried the tip with my right and left ear and it was the same deal. So I emailed Head-Direct, but they were not convinced. They were saying that the problem was my right ear. I really got fed up emailing them back and forth. However, I am not happy with Head-Direct!

Almost 7 years?! That's truly incredible, but I ended up ordering the Audio-Technica CK10 a few days ago. Thanks for the advice anyway, mate.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 30
haha shadowfox i didnt even notice the comment until now but yeah zeppelin rules!
as for the re-0's i mailed them out to head directs New York hq through standard mail, i know they ask for tracking numbers but i'm poor and i'm not paying all that money to send headphones that broke down because of their crappy qc for now i'm just waiting without any headphones :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #29 of 30
Thanks for the info shadowfox! Ahh for now I can only dream
rolleyes.gif

as for the re-0's i have great news! A few days ago I asked Head-direct if they had received my package...nothing but they told me they would let me know when it came in. Soon after they replied and stated that because I had bought them from a 3rd party seller they would require a $10 fee to replace and ship them out (something i didnt know and didnt have the money for...yeah theyre tough times). So I replied and said sorry cant make ten bucks...to my amazement head direct is shipping me a new set free of cost through first class mail! Now that's what I call customer service! I really respect a company who can do something like that for their customers and I wish them the best I really loved those re-0s and now I'll have them back in time for Christmas!
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #30 of 30
Your welcome, RokBoks and kudos on the success with head-direct.

I wonder if those who owned the original, cloth cable version of the re0 had better luck with durability, anyone know? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back