Broken RE0's and bad luck with IEM's
Jun 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

dr.toboggan

New Head-Fier
Today my RE0's broke. The right earphone plays no sound at all, wobbling the cable around doesn't give any change and the entire unit is in like new condition as far as I can see. I've treated them pretty good, but a few times the earphones have clapped together when i temporarily take them out to talk to someone. Has this happened to anyone else?

I had used shure se210's for a year and a half before the right channel started going out intermittently. Eventually I got fed up, bought some RE0's on the for sale forum (to see what all the fuss was about) and sent in the shures for repair. Today I went out to pick up my new shures from the purolator office and literally 5 minutes after leaving the right earphone on the RE0's goes out. I seem to have bad luck with the right earphones on IEMs...

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 30
yea my re0 broke today. and yes from the right earphones. sadly, i only had it for a few months and i am extremely disappointed with the quality. maybe i got a bad one??? =[

I loved these phones, the sound signature hit everything i wanted from an IEM...well have fun with your shures!
ill be IEM-less for a while now. I have to go back to my stock earbuds since i won't be carry around my grados everywhere...

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
yea my re0 broke today. and yes from the right earphones. sadly, i only had it for a few months and i am extremely disappointed with the quality. maybe i got a bad one??? =[

I loved these phones, the sound signature hit everything i wanted from an IEM...well have fun with your shures!
ill be IEM-less for a while now. I have to go back to my stock earbuds since i won't be carry around my grados everywhere...

Contact HeadDirect customer service -- they are very good about replacing defective units.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
I was offered the option to upgrade my re0 to re-zero for 30 dollar more, do you guys think this is a good deal ? Should I stick with the re0?

If you don't want to use AMPs and canbe happy with little less highs and want more midrange clarity and more bass over RE0 then these(RE_ZERO) are perfect.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 30
Aug 20, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 30
Strange that we are seeing so many broken RE0s recently. And they all seem to die the same way - broken driver. Mine died this way as well. Makes me wonder if the QC had slackened, and if that is the reason why head direct are able to sell them at such a low price
blink.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 30
All earphones break sooner or later even expensive such as SM3 or e-Q7by Ortofon Jp, but reason why I always try purchasing my gear from reputable retailers with clear instructions for broken items and offers warranty services. It is worthwhile to pay a bit more upfront and be covered by warranty.

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
I was wondering, was it really the driver that was broken or the cable? 

In my case it should be the driver. Just before it completely died i noticed crackling sounds when i squeezed the driver while adjusting it in my ears.
I thought the cable was the culprit at first but i didn't hear significant cracklings when i shook the strain relief at the driver.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 30
I'm fairly sure mine was the driver too. the right ear just up and stopped working abruptly. my shure's cable died, and i knew it was dying for weeks before with sound fading in and out depending on the cable orientation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back