Broken Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro, What to do?
Aug 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sioban

New Head-Fier
Hello
I have had these cans for a couple of years now.As for most of the headphones I have had to date, these have finally given up. Although these with cans it is nothing electronic related. As you can see from the pictures the plastic "thing" on the headband is broken.
Are there spare parts readily avaiblable so I can swap out the broken plastic "thing" or do I have to send the cans to Beyerdynamic?

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 12
Beyer sell replacement parts so those should be able to be repaired. Looks like you use them and abuse them
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
You need these replacement parts: http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/schieber-reparatur-set.html

Exactly. Just DIY and you'll save a lot of money instead sending them back to beyer for repairs. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
The OP doesn't say where s/he's located,
but I found Beyer's Authorized Service in Long Island NY to be very reasonable when I dealt with them about a year ago.

Fast also.

I kind of expected him to be in the US, so the point of my page wasn't so much the availability of the parts directly from Beyer as their shipping rates are quite high, but it has the part number on the page so he can ask a more local distributor for that. OTOH, given the size of the parts, perhaps Beyerdynamic can be pursuaded to forego shipping by UPS and simply put them in a regular envelope.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for all the answers! I am very grateful!

At the moment I am located in the UK so I might be able to buy the spare parts from the German webshop.
Thanks once again for all the help!

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 12
@CyBeR

THANK YOU!!! Yes, I meant to shout that...from the roof tops even. My six year old DT-770 Pro 80 ohm cans are broken in and both plastic sliders are broken *exactly* like in the picture. I treat my headphones well, but my kids... they've tripped over the cable or pulled out my chair and pulled the cans down a bunch of times. Other than the plastic deals, everything is in tip top shape.

I looked on the Beyerdynamics USA site and they don't have that repair set on it. At least not that I could find.

So, now I can pick up the phone tomorrow and order that part and the new velour pads and I should be set.

I mean, I just LOVE my DTs. They're underpowered only being run by my Mac Pro or the headphone jack of my Sony 555ES receiver, but they still get me where I want to be.

So thanks a million times.

Be well,
Mack

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 12
 underpowered when used with a receiver?? 
basshead.gif
 wow. I was looking forward to buying a nice receiver for my dt's to amp them a bit, since i am a loud listener, and find them a bit quiet for my taste. but now .. i don't know

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm going to NECRO this thread for a good reason.

The Broken plastic part can now be ordered from the US site, beyerdynamic.com

it's 28 bucks. shipping is 15 flat to the US, which kinda stinks, but at least I can get it now. 

I'm actually thinking after I fix these that I'll audition some new cans and flow these down to my son.

I may get another pair (I need closed cans) or go with something from maybe AKG? I dunno. Lots of auditioning to do.

But!!! the good news is that rather than all the unanswered phone calls and the unanswered email from Sound Design in New York (the authorized repair shop for Beyerdynamic), I was able to order the parts directly from Beyerdynamic.

I'd love to have ordered new Velour pads and another headband, but the Beyerdynamic site just isn't very good. Still, I'd rather they make good cans than have a great site if I had to choose one...

Also, does anyone know if the 990 Velour pads also fit the DT770s? I desperately need to replace mine, but like I was saying, I can't really tell and the site doesn't say.

Edit: No, these aren't underpowered when run by my Sony DA-555ES receiver. They sing when used there. But I do need to get a proper headphone amp. Real life keeps conspiring to keep that from happening. I'm using it on my Mac and the built in analog is just not good for these. Thankfully, I had the Sennheiser DA dongle from my headset and it's a lot better. Not great, but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back