Broke College student wants to escape the clutches of stock ear buds armed with $30
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Abhi91

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. This is my first post here on Head Fi. For my whole life, I have been satisfied by the stock earbuds with my respective mp3 players. In my first semester at college, I decided to buy first 3rd party buds, the Jlabs J2, thinking I was getting them for a steal at $15 when the MSRP was $80. Now, i was blown away by the sudden jump in quality (which shows how little my expectations were/are). Anyway, now the left channel does not work unless I contort the wire in various ways, and I am looking for a replacement set. These are the qualities I desire.
1. The Price should be below $30, max $35.
2. They should be durable. 
3. They should be comfortable.
4. Sound quality should be as good as I can get in this price.

Now, I have read the other forum posts on this site, and based on them, I was this close to buying the Koss Portaros, before stumbling upon the fact that they are open, and that they will leak noise. I live in a small dorm, and I listen to music while studying in the library, so I would like either closed headphones or durable earphones. 

I have heard good things about the Pl30 and am also looking at the HD201 and Koss UR-20. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help

Edit: Isolation is important in the sense that I should be able to watch a movie and not disturb a sleeping roomate and/or be able to concentrate on my work with a movie/game going on. I dont need world class isolation, but I am a little wary of the poratpros in this respect

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 24
Koss PortaPro 32 bucks off Amazon, nuff said. EDIT: Oops I should read the whole thing before I posted lol. EDIT AGAIN: Dude unless you like to blow your ears out I don't think the portapros will be a problem IMO.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 24
+1 Best bang for buck there is.

EDIT: Haha, I only read the second post before it's edit. This thread is clearly one for Team Idiot-Fi

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 24
hifiman RE2...got one for sale (wink wink) some shameless advertising there, they're very nuetral, clear and detailed

james

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
No Re-0 Buffalowings? Read over here that they are legendary for budget-fi, the IEM equivalent of the portapros. What do you guys think of the me6?

well, they're a bit out of your budget ($60-70 used) sound sid wise the RE2 and RE0 are FAR from portpros, but value wise, I'd say they're the same

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 24
I dont really think that IEMs in the 30-35 price range would really make that big of a difference in terms of sound quality. At most you'll get the same sound quality as your broken IEMs. You should really consider buying a RE0 at head direct for like 79 + 10 postage. You would not regret it as they have some of the most beautiful textures vocal ever not to mention flawless treble without any sibilance.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 24
Xears Bullet XB120Pro - probably as good SQ as you'll find in the price range but not exactly high-grade in any other respect. Besides that H2O Audio Flex, Meelec M6, and ViSang R01 are all quite good in terms of value for money,

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 24
I disagree, you can still get good quality headphones for around $50. However, I do agree that 30-35 is a bit low, but if you find a amazing deal you should be fine. Just steer clear of skull candies and fakes. Also, I have heard the re-0 and re-zero [they're different] are crazy for their price, but it is out of your range.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 24
The RE zero is basically the balanced version of the RE0 so if you just use the TRRS adapter there is almost no difference at all other than having a tad more bass. You should read the joker's review thread and look at IEMs in your price range to pick out the most sound quality.

Quote:
I disagree, you can still get good quality headphones for around $50. However, I do agree that 30-35 is a bit low, but if you find a amazing deal you should be fine. Just steer clear of skull candies and fakes. Also, I have heard the re-0 and re-zero [they're different] are crazy for their price, but it is out of your range.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
The RE zero is basically the balanced version of the RE0 so if you just use the TRRS adapter there is almost no difference at all other than having a tad more bass. You should read the joker's review thread and look at IEMs in your price range to pick out the most sound quality.

No that is not true. The RE0 and RE-Zero sound different

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 24
wow. Joker's review thread is pretty epic! I think i will buy the me6 over the Xears Bullet because of the build quality. How is the quality of the portapros compared to the me6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back