BRITPOP - Best of the Rest
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #61 of 120
Quote:

so no one's excited about this Verve reunion news?

i'm excited, there was another thread about this where i expressed my enthusiasm, though. the band members have been up to fairly successful ventures since their break up, but i hope they bring it all together to make a Verve album that is a worthy follow up to their original, excellent, catalog.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #62 of 120
I realize I'm a bit late on this thread, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned Stereolab. Ok half their songs are in French. Someone mentioned Ride earlier so I have throw Slowdive into the mix.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #63 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up on Embrace, ordered used from Amazon:

-Good Will Out ($1.00) (I vaguely remember having this before but can't find it)
-Out of Nothing ($1.50)

Although both of these Embrace CDs are very good I like the debut better, has more rocker type songs and fewer slow ballads like more recent "out of nothing" sounds similar to Oasis at times, therefore I also ordered:

Drawn from Memory - 2nd album
Dry Kids - import non album b side collection, companion to "fireworks" A side collection

Bong
Also ordered a Mansun 17 song collection called "legacy" which supposedly contains stuff from thier 14 EPs released

61V38RM9Z6L._AA240_.jpg

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #64 of 120
wow DA, judging from your reaction i better dig out my old Embrace CDs and buy some of the newer ones!
icon10.gif
they were just one of those bands i never did give much chances although i do remember The Good Will Out was very good.

as for Shed 7, i have one album called Change Giver, with their best known single "Dolphin," i believe... it's in storage somewhere and i'm not about to go dig it out! they were pretty much on the harder rockin' side of Britpop, but i can't see the Killers resemblance. heard they broke up a few years ago although they had a strong cult following.

good stuff on that Mansun Legacy singles comp, DA! they were one of those brilliant bands that faded all too quickly... but darn, their singles rock. "Stripper Vicar," "Legacy," "Wide Open Space," "Six," "Being A Girl," "I Can Only Disappoint U," all good stuff.

hmm... spinoff projects, i can think of Hurricane #1 right now. when Andy Bell officially disbanded RIDE, he formed Hurricane #1 with a local singer/guitarist (Alex Lowe i think if memory servers me right), quickly signed with Creation, and released their debut album which sounds awfully like Oasis, with maybe better lyrics (all written by Bell). if you like Oasis, you'll like Hurricane #1. their best known song is "Step Into My World," which was once used on a Volkswagen New Beetle commercial years ago. heard their second and final album was much better, called Only The Strongest Will Survive, but i didn't buy it as it wasn't released stateside. of course, Hurricane #1 didn't survive but Andy Bell got his ultimate wish and joined Oasis as their bassist.

Mark Gardener and Loz Colbert (both from RIDE), partnered with Oxford record producer Sam Williams (of Supergrass fame), along with other local musicians formed The Animalhouse. they recorded their one and only album Ready to Recieve, which was a odd but fun mix of Britpop rock, electronica, even hints of world music. if one is expecting RIDE #2 it might disappoint though, as it was more of a Sam Williams album than Mark Gardener. i wouldn't say its a great album, but half of it was good and had its moments.

when The Animalhouse broke up, Mark Gardener toured as a solo artist to fund his debut album (along with Oxford band Goldrush) and released These Beautiful Ghosts in 2005. if you like Carnival Of Light era RIDE, you'll like These Beautiful Ghosts. almost half of it is strictly acoustic stuff, when backed by a full band, the songs are really nice (especially the amazing title track). it also helps that Mark's voice is much stronger and clearer than his RIDE days... depending on your point of view, he's a much better singer these days.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #69 of 120
Quote:

Although both of these Embrace CDs are very good I like the debut better, has more rocker type songs and fewer slow ballads like more recent "out of nothing" sounds similar to Oasis at times, therefore I also ordered:

Drawn from Memory - 2nd album
Dry Kids - import non album b side collection, companion to "fireworks" A side collection

I have decided I really only like the debut Embrace album "good will out", most of the rest of thier stuff is too soft and mellow for me

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #70 of 120
I just bought Suede's - Dog Man Star about two weeks ago. I like it quite a lot but it sure does remind me of early David Bowie around the Ziggy Stardust or Man Who Sold The World era. Is that deliberate? I'm guessing the title "Dog Man Star" is a reference to Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". Right?

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #71 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought Suede's - Dog Man Star about two weeks ago. I like it quite a lot but it sure does remind me of early David Bowie around the Ziggy Stardust or Man Who Sold The World era. Is that deliberate? I'm guessing the title "Dog Man Star" is a reference to Bowie's "Diamond Dogs". Right?

Yes Suede was part of a mini neo-glam movement in Britpop of the 1990's, not sure about any Bowie reference for Dog Man Star, but definitely a great album..........for sure you need to get:

Suede - debut
SciFi Lullabies - 2CD collection, B side and singles, essential!

Bong is Suede fanboy for sure.............
k1000smile.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #72 of 120
x2 on sci fi lullabies. very good stuff. better than the debut to my ears. and DarkAngel I just got good will out and I love it, Thanks for the recommendation

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #73 of 120
You guys need to check out the wild swans by the way. Not really britpop, more like the smiths on their bringing home the ashes album and more like madchester on the space flower album but anyway they rereleased a remaster of the sire years containing both albums and some alternate mixes just a few months ago called magnitude. I love all their songs on both those albums. The Wild Swans is ex teardrop explodes keyboardist paul simpson and the lightning seeds singer ian broudie. Broudie and simpson also had a side band called the care which is also very good

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

Yes Suede was part of a mini neo-glam movement in Britpop of the 1990's, not sure about any Bowie reference for Dog Man Star, but definitely a great album..........for sure you need to get:

Suede - debut
SciFi Lullabies - 2CD collection, B side and singles, essential!

Bong is Suede fanboy for sure.............
k1000smile.gif

Suede fanboy... YES I AM!
icon10.gif

Dog Man Star does sound like prime Bowie. singer Brett Anderson has often cited him as a major influence.

Suede's first three albums are great, for all different reasons. s/t debut is all glammed up androgynous Britpop, Dog Man Star is lush melancholia, and Coming Up is pure unabashed anthemic pop. add the essential b-sides on Sci-Fi Lullabies and that's basically all you need from Suede. the Singles collection collects all their singles and that's a great collection as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back