BRITPOP - Best of the Rest
Jul 17, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #91 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What??????
Who dares to sully the greatest Britpop band ever! I love Oasis....
k1000smile.gif

There are Beatles references for sure, but taken through a wonderful feedback washed modern prism, and love Liam's swaggering slurring vocal treatment, cocky arrogant self destructive......but boy could they rock the house, listen to any of thier live tracks from early days

Bah! Get XTC's Skylarking to hear it done right. I will admit that Noel Gallagher is quite a witty person though.

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #93 of 120
http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...ylarking.shtml

Skylarking marks the instant where one of the most creative and talented groups of songwriters and musicians hit their stride and blossomed into full maturity. If the albums preceding Skylarking can be said to have contained a good deal of genius and some moments of brilliance, everything after was virtually seminal. And it was here, in the mid-point of their career, a decade after they emerged incongruously in the punk scene, that their combination of English pastoral leanings merged with a full nod to their Beatles and Beach Boys influences. Freed somewhat by their psychedelic Dukes of Stratosphear side-project, XTC finally embraced the pure-pop direction that they'd already been headed towards.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #94 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although both of these Embrace CDs are very good I like the debut better, has more rocker type songs and fewer slow ballads like more recent "out of nothing" sounds similar to Oasis at times, therefore I also ordered:

Drawn from Memory - 2nd album
Dry Kids - import non album b side collection, companion to "fireworks" A side collection

"Drawn From Memory" and "If You've Never Been" are the most well recorded of their back catalogue. The last album is too loud as with a lot of things these days.

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will admit that Noel Gallagher is quite a witty person though.

The Gallaghers are the best.

This is my favorite, its Liam on Franz Ferdinand: "Franz Ferdinand? Right Said Fred in a suite, mate!"

I like Franz Ferdinand, but this really made me laugh.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #96 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's bad when it is not done very well. Get XTC's Skylarking, you will probably love it if you are a Beatles fan. I always liked the Stones better than the Beatles though. Especially early Beatles. "Love, Love Me Do" just doesn't cut it for me. "Get Off Of My Cloud" does.
smily_headphones1.gif

hmm whats your 2nd and third best xtc album? just to get an idea of what you like

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #97 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was Starsailor mentioned yet? By the way what is their greatest album not including love is here

i love Starsailor and they can't get enough praise from me. i saw them last year and they are amazing live, in fact i can be seen in their YouTube American Tour video diary on the NYC installment.
icon10.gif

anyway, hard to say what's their best album after Love Is Here as they only have three albums in total. while Love Is Here is mostly mellow and introspective, Silence Is Easy is more optimistic sounding in comparison. On The Outside is definitely the most aggressive sounding of the three albums.

i'd rate them like this:
1- Love Is Here
2- On The Outside
3- Silence Is Easy

of course it's all a matter of personal preference. Love Is Here is a classic album in my books, On The Outside is one hell of a solid rock album, and Silence Is Easy has some brilliant moments (espeically the title track) but unlike On The Outside, i feel it has a few fillers.

remember when MoFi had UltradiscII versions of XTC's Skylarking and Oranges And Lemons? should've picked them up years ago when i had a chance, i wonder how much they're worth these days? at least i have my UltradiscII version of The Jam's All Mod Cons/Sound Effects.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #98 of 120
I remember skylarking on mofi but never saw oranges. wow, i love that album.

You know what, Ive had oranges, nonesuch, and compilations but never skylarking. Is the stuff in it similar to dear god more than the other albums?

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #100 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm whats your 2nd and third best xtc album? just to get an idea of what you like

Hard to pick as I don't have all my XTC collection anymore. I think I would pick English Settlement as 2nd and Mummer as 3rd. I've always like Drums and Wires a lot too as that was the album that introduced me to them. I don't think I've ever bought any of their albums and didn't like it. I rate them a lot higher than Oasis anyway. Oasis may have sold more records but they are not better at all when it comes to good song writing and as musicians.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #104 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Gatticus

I will give XTC a try. I love discovering new(old) bands, and I think maybe they will be something for me.

Good. They are one of the greatest Brit pop bands ever, IMO. Don't blame me if you don't like them though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back