BRITPOP - Best of the Rest
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 120
i was looking at that Rhino box set online a week ago thinking to myself.. "hey, cool stuff! but do i really need it? i've got most of the songs on original CDs already." oh well... probably one of those "get me this for Christmas" items.

anyway, dunno where to put this news article but this thread is as good as any:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-verve/29261

Quote:

The Verve reunite for tour
Richard Ashcroft and co write new songs
3 hours ago
The Verve are set to reunite for a winter tour.

The original band of Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe,Simon Jones and Pete Sailsbury have got together for the first time in almost a decade.

In a statement, the band have announced they were: "Getting back together for the joy of the music."

It is believed they will take a summer break and then return to the studio to complete their next album.

The band broke up in 1999, with the tumultuous relationship between Ashcroft and McCabe being well documented with the two exiting the band repeatedly since they began in 1993.

The band are set to play:

Glasgow Academy (November 2,3)
Blackpool Empress Ballroom (5,6)
London Roundhouse (8,9)

Tickets are set to go on sale on July 6.

i'll believe when i see it. there were recent RIDE reunion rumours as well but i knew that would be near impossible since Andy's busy with Oasis, Mark's busy with his solo stuff, and Loz's busy touring with Jesus and Mary Chain. suffice to say, the RIDE rumour was swiftly diffused.

we'll see about The Verve.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #47 of 120
To the person who mentioned the Hershey, PA band 'THE OCEAN BLUE'... GREAT BAND!!! I was just listening to 'Cerulean' and 'Davey Jones Locker' today while chillin' on my patio. That band is 'ear candy' to the max!

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #48 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

another is The Farm, who's album Sparticus is pleasant enough, but like Northside, isn't very memorable. they'll forever be known for their on-hit wonder "Groovy Train."

of course, there's Ned's Atomic Dustbin, with God Fodder being the strongest set. they're not entirely Madchester, but share a similar dancey spirit along with rock and slight funk. God Fodder is chock full of hooky rhythms and catchy pop songs. my personal fave is "Happy."

I thought altogether now was the hit in that farm album. It was very popular in southern spain when I went there 91.
As for ned's atomic dustbin, I also really like the album "are you normal". Slightly slower in tempo than the kill your television style but a slightly cleaner sound that is also great. I did not like the album after that with the pool table on the cover. Forgot the name but it was meeeh whatever music

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #49 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, and for Suede fans, check out The Tears, with the album Here Come The Tears. it's Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler reunited, and the album is a bit like... "what would Coming Up sound like if the two songwriting partners never split." right now Brett Anderson is working on his first solo album, and sadly Suede is on permanent hiatus but i don't they they ever announced a complete split yet.

how about Embrace? their debut The Good Will Out was very good... very Urban Hymns era Verve-like. i'm not a big fan of them, but they've got some great staying power.

Brett andersons album is out, Ive only played it once. Not bad so far. More slow songs than the upbeat ones in the suede albums

Embrace kicks buttocks... Out of Nothing is great, This new day is also good

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #50 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the person who mentioned the Hershey, PA band 'THE OCEAN BLUE'... GREAT BAND!!! I was just listening to 'Cerulean' and 'Davey Jones Locker' today while chillin' on my patio. That band is 'ear candy' to the max!

The debut album is great and so is Beneath the rhythm and sound. The album "see" is not that great but I like the song "slide". This band feels so much like the wild swans, which is also one of my favorites by the way.

And about Genres.... Where does Morrissey fall into since he is still making music today?

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 120
I think I'm right in saying that no mention has been made of John Squire's short-lived band The Seahorses, who released one very good album - Do It Yourself - in 1996 before imploding. The album is more like The Stone Roses than Second Coming.

Also I see no mention of Terrorvision which, while not strictly BritPop, managed to follow a parallel course without getting the commercial benefit. Try How To Make Friends And Influence People (1993) or Regular Urban Survivors (1996).

On the acoustic side, the first Starsailor album - Love is Here - is pretty good.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #52 of 120
Thanks for the heads up on Embrace, ordered used from Amazon:

-Good Will Out ($1.00) (I vaguely remember having this before but can't find it)
-Out of Nothing ($1.50)

I have to agree with Bong that samples sound similar to Urban Hyms era Verve

Love the super bargain prices of obscure used Britpop CDs.......don't like Amazon's hugely inflated shipping charge of $3 per CD
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #53 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for ned's atomic dustbin, I also really like the album "are you normal". Slightly slower in tempo than the kill your television style but a slightly cleaner sound that is also great. I did not like the album after that with the pool table on the cover. Forgot the name but it was meeeh whatever music

third one's called Brainbloodvolume... yes, all in one word.
icon10.gif
i don't think anyone liked Brainbloodvolume as i recall was a drastic change of direction.

hmm... in retrospect, i think Ned's was the most Grebo i could handle! LOL

Quote:

Brett andersons album is out, Ive only played it once. Not bad so far. More slow songs than the upbeat ones in the suede albums

Embrace kicks buttocks... Out of Nothing is great, This new day is also good

Brett's album is good. it might not be as instantly likeable as any Suede records or even The Tears, but it's definitely a mellow and melancholy affair. some of it even reminds me of Dog Man Star at times. i hate to admit it but it's loads better than A New Morning.

Embrace, i really have to give them another try. off to Amazon i go... like DA says sucks about the high shipping rates from all these used CD dealers. they won't even give you a break if you buy multiple items from one seller, grrr.

so no one's excited about this Verve reunion news?

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #54 of 120
About Neds atomic dustbin, I also had a kill your television cd with a more raw version of songs and more powerful kill your television than the god fodder album. About other britpop, hmm what about thirteen senses, they are considered britpop arent they? pretty good stuff too

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #56 of 120
Quote:

Also wondering if Keane and Coldplay are considered as britpop

Sure they would stylistically since early Radiohead also considered Britpop, but chronologically they would be post Britpop since that style ususally limited to 1990s era work by UK bands........of course some of these bands still active, some have changed to much different style like Radiohead and some like above mentioned Embrace seem to still be producing classic style 1990s Britpop.

Doesn't really matter trying to exactly define bands style, we are just looking for good music ideas
k1000smile.gif

I don't really like Keane, early Coldplay is pretty good though. Maybe I should check some of these solo/spin-off projects Bong keeps mentioning, although normally they are not as good as original bands works......

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #58 of 120
Thanks to internet, music search engines, forums etc we can discover all these little known Britpop groups today that were almost unknown to me back when they were actually making these classic albums......and buy them cheaply used
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #60 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up on Embrace, ordered used from Amazon:

-Good Will Out ($1.00) (I vaguely remember having this before but can't find it)
-Out of Nothing ($1.50)

Wow......how did I miss this group, really like these two Cds and have ordered more. Both the rockers and the gentle ballads are soo good, this is what its all about, the collection keeps growing
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back