Brief Odac impressions
Oct 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,727 of 2,018
To be fair, I have 2 odacs that I have used for hundreds of hours across several pcs, both commercial and DIY. without any issues at all.

All electronics stuff have issues from time to time.

But there are far many more satisfied users of the ODAC than the few people that have publicly announced their issues with the ODAC.

When things go well most folks dont take the time to post etc its usually only when it doenst do people post mostly asking and trying to understand what is happening.

That said, either of the dacs mentioned will do just fine...

All the best
Alex

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,728 of 2,018
I'm planning to buy the ODAC for my PC as well as for on the go use. I am a bit irritated that my PC  does not sound good compared to my smartphone. Would the ODAC solve my problem or am I better off with a USB Soundcard (Xonar U3)? 

By the way, I usually play hiphop and Rnb and a bit of movies in my PC. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,730 of 2,018
but the odac requires an amp no? 

PC>odac>amp>iem

is that the setup? why is there a need of an amp? (sorry it's my first time to use a dac)

then this setup is more expensive than using a usb soundcard like the xonar u3? how do they compare to each other?

(or considering the hifimediy dac)

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,731 of 2,018
The ODAC doesn't need an amp to do what it does, its a dac...but yes you need to take the output of the ODAC to an amp to drive your headphones.

The O2 Objective amp is an excellent choice.

A.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,736 of 2,018
I love mine, but I guess the hype is over. It seems now the hype is the Schiit Modi. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,737 of 2,018
  I listed my ODAC for sale a month ago for $99, is there a reason why it wasn't taken already I don't know about?

Honestly, if I see an ODAC for that price around xmas I will most likely buy it. Not that I am trying to get you to hold it! I'm just saying that I think it's likely that either I or someone else will buy it around the holidays. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,738 of 2,018
I'll join the people who like the ODAC/O2 -combo. Sounds very, very punchy!

O2 is DIY, ODAC was a complete set.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,739 of 2,018
I've bought the PCB version of the ODAC and installed it with a "starving student" hybrid tube amp.
So I've "built" my own headphone dac/amp
dt880smile.png
 . Connected to a Mele a2000 loaded with ubuntu (see: http://guillaumeplayground.net/)

And  I must say.....I'm convinced. Paried with a Senn hd600 it sounds wonderfull, detailed and not fatiguing
I can imagine that the odac can sound harsh with a more analytical headphone. But with my senn's it's just right
Hope I can enjoy this setup for a long time.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,740 of 2,018
ODAC harsh sounding, have to disagree there as i use my O2/ODAC combo with Senn's and Grados, and if anything it works better with the Grados.  Feed them a bad mp3 file and it will sound unpleasant, but i cant blame either of them for that, they dont sugar coat anything, they just play it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back