Brief Odac impressions
Nov 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,743 of 2,018
You won't regret it, unless you're into eye candy. Not the prettiest, but great product. I'll post pictures when I finish my new wooden case for the combo
wink_face.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,745 of 2,018

Calling them ugly is a bit harsh, i rather like my all black brushed aluminum stack
normal_smile .gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,746 of 2,018
ODAC/Modi are both equally good to my ears. There is one thing the Modi did better, but people will yell at me and say it's impossible :D

center image depth (Huh? What? How?!)

But this can also be turned around and be interpreted as "less stereo separation" on your Modi..!!!.
Wow quite a negative perception on your part of the Modi(!)
Ha :p

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,747 of 2,018
I have the ODAC > Bottlehead crack > Hd 600 combo. Would it even be worth the money to upgrade to something like the Resonance Labs Concero or Parasound Zdac? I've done a lot of research, but wasn't sure where the point of diminishing returns was with dacs....... especially considering the odacs reputation.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,748 of 2,018
  I have the ODAC > Bottlehead crack > Hd 600 combo. Would it even be worth the money to upgrade to something like the Resonance Labs Concero or Parasound Zdac? I've done a lot of research, but wasn't sure where the point of diminishing returns was with dacs....... especially considering the odacs reputation.

I am interested in a comparison of these two DACs vs something like the ODAC as well. I actually have the HRT MS2, but the answer to this question would nevertheless be informative to me. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,749 of 2,018
  I am interested in a comparison of these two DACs vs something like the ODAC as well. I actually have the HRT MS2, but the answer to this question would nevertheless be informative to me. 

In the Concero forum, someone gave a brief summary of them compared to each other and the HDP, but not in much detail: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/570#post_9446856

It's still hard to tell whether the extra 500 or so would be worth it. I guess what I will have to do is try one of them through a website I can return to. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,750 of 2,018

In the Concero forum, someone gave a brief summary of them compared to each other and the HDP, but not in much detail: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/570#post_9446856

It's still hard to tell whether the extra 500 or so would be worth it. I guess what I will have to do is try one of them through a website I can return to. 

Yeah, I've read that entire thread. I guess I already know the answer. Some small differences, but the hard part is deciding if I want to spend the money. Such is life. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,751 of 2,018
  Yeah, I've read that entire thread. I guess I already know the answer. Some small differences, but the hard part is deciding if I want to spend the money. Such is life. 

Exactly! I was hoping someone that has more experience with different DACs could chime in here, since mine is pretty limited

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #1,753 of 2,018
I've been having some problems with my ODAC on recent days. It gets somehow disconnected from the computer randomly. It just freezes and I have to reconnect it for it to work again. Sometimes I see it quickly disappear or flash in the windows playback devices list but it might or might not freeze.

I've also used it with an externally powered USB hub and doen't seem to make a difference. Any homebrewing tips or contact the seller? I know a bit about electronics but I think troubleshooting from the PCB might be a bit much with so small components.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #1,754 of 2,018
Make sure your cable and connector (connections) are solid etc.....this can happen if the cable comes loose or is not a good mechanical fit.

Also try another USB port on you system and or try the ODAC on another PC entirely.

Alex

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,755 of 2,018
I'm thinking of getting an ODAC with RCA outputs so that I can connect the 3.5mm output to my O2 headphone amp and the RCA outputs to my stereo speaker amplifier.  However, the JDS Labs webpage warns: " Please note that ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously."

Why is that?  What would happen if I connect my equipment as described above?  I only intend to have one of the amplifiers on at a time (it wouldn't make a lot of sense to listen to music on the headphones and speakers simultaneously).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back