Brief Odac impressions
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,682 of 2,018
if the ac adapter is the correct size to fit the O2 then I dont see why it wouldnt work.
Remember Nwavguy states that a 20vac pwr supply will stress  the voltage regulators and run hotter.....

But I dont think this really would matter in the real world....most of us dont have these things on 24/7.

Let us know..

A.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,683 of 2,018
Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere, but will an iPad Mini be able to drive the ODAC directly via CCK, or will a powered hub be necessary? I remember reading that a Galaxy Note 2 can power it via USB OTG, as it apparently needs very little power.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,684 of 2,018
Quote:
Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere, but will an iPad Mini be able to drive the ODAC directly via CCK, or will a powered hub be necessary? I remember reading that a Galaxy Note 2 can power it via USB OTG, as it apparently needs very little power.

Depends on the CCK. Apple's official CCK will not power ODAC, so a hub is necessary. There are a few generic CCK's on eBay that act as a hub, which tricks the iPad into powering an external DAC (iPad reads the maximum current tag via software; actual current draw is not measured).

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,685 of 2,018
Do you guys think the ODAC will be a significant upgrade over a Fiio E07k (just the DAC section)?. My set up is Laptop -> Fiio e07k -> Fiio L7 (LOD) -> JDS Labs O2 amp -> Headphones.

I was also looking at this DAC: HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC, but I haven't find much in the forums.

I like the way it sounds, but I can't help wondering if I am missing something.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,686 of 2,018
how do you think this compares to the audioengine d1?

similar price as a DAC/amp, looks better, single unit- tested it against the fiio e17, cleaner output for sure, much more clarity- think the odac is a step up again?

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,687 of 2,018
Quote:
Do you guys think the ODAC will be a significant upgrade over a Fiio E07k (just the DAC section)?. My set up is Laptop -> Fiio e07k -> Fiio L7 (LOD) -> JDS Labs O2 amp -> Headphones.

I was also looking at this DAC: HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC, but I haven't find much in the forums.

I like the way it sounds, but I can't help wondering if I am missing something.

I don't think it will be a significant upgrade. I doubt that you will hear any real difference, but I use the ODAC for peace of mind. That hifimeDIY yada yada sounds like complete BS just by the name..
Quote:
how do you think this compares to the audioengine d1?

similar price as a DAC/amp, looks better, single unit- tested it against the fiio e17, cleaner output for sure, much more clarity- think the odac is a step up again?

I personally couldn't hear much of any difference between the e17 and odac+o2. Sooo, I dunno, take that how you will. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,691 of 2,018
Originally Posted by tuna47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do they compare

turkeybacon.png

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,692 of 2,018
Just won a JDS Labs ODAC on ebay for $115. New, but open box. Seem like a decent deal?

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,693 of 2,018
Good deal for a great DAC.

I have several now in different systems, rooms etc...they work wonderfully.

I bought 2 and bought boxes and RCA connectors etc. The assembled dacs were I think $99 plus shipping , then the cases, connectors etc....

For $115 that not to bad at all..

Good luck with it!

Alex

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,695 of 2,018
Originally Posted by Battou62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

" as the UB seems like a more refined, articulate, & detailed version of the ODAC"

This is why I am finding it harder and harder to some back to this website.

LOL.. apparently, Jude's got a gun to your head, forcing you to visit, eh?

..and yeah, the UB sounds/feels/massages/telepathicallytransmits/whatever than better than the ODAC.  I love the ODAC, btw.. I'm just not one of the robot minions who think it's the end all be all.  Sorry, no blind test done here.. I've been around these parts & heard enough gear to be aware of my biases.  I'm a believer in both subjective and objective analysis.. I think there's much to be gain from both.  If that bothers you:

worlds-smallest-violin_190.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back