Brief Odac impressions
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,561 of 2,018
Quote:
My ODAC is now being pushed along by an iFI iUSBpower, massive smile on my face as I type this.

Too much of an audio nub to describe what I'm hearing but it's a fair bit smarter then it was yesterday...

That looks like an interesting device... will have to look into that. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,562 of 2,018
Quote:
The little round thing in the lower right hand corner it the inductor, L100 in the +5VDC line in.
Note: Edited to remove the URL.

Oh that's it! I thought this was probably it, but it just looked a bit different. I definitely have that on mine.
I never get any noise or anything ever. My ODAC is always dead silent. My Magni..not so much.
I don't even use USB cables with the ferrite bead. I have a ferrite bead on my USB hubs power cable though.
Haha, don't ask me why. I had to put it somewhere
normal_smile .gif

I've never had an O2 before, but I was cheap and got the Magni instead but I do like it.
Maybe they both sound the same, but I highly doubt it. I do believe the Magni and my Micro are very transparent though, so the O2 shouldn't be dramatically different..I think.

I'm going to be comparing the Modi to my ODAC this weekend. Love the ODAC so it's never gong anywhere.
I think it's my favorite piece of equipment behind my Micro Amp.

As much as I like the ODAC, it doesn't really do anything to impress me and I like that 
biggrin.gif

Mine is not too cold and doesn't seem to be excessively detailed, which is OK by me. I mean it's all there, but doesn't annoy me. It does however make the HD-650 more revealing and less forgiving.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,565 of 2,018
I have yet to try the ODAC with my laptop but I will say that I have no issues whatsoever in my desktop without even using the ferrite cable.  Even with the computer powered off I hear nothing.  I have had the same fulltower rocketfish case for years which was made by Lian-Li and I am using the top usb port, the cable was the original that came with the case and plugs into the usb header on the Sabertooth Z77 motherboard.  As I stated previously and it seems to hold true in my case so far that the power supply may have more to do with the issues that people are experiencing with the ODAC.  The seasonic gold 750 is a great power supply and is powering a good load in my system including a water cooler.

So far I am really enjoying the sound of the ODAC paired with the portaphile and Heir Audio 8A's.  I am not sure if the ultra violet cable makes a difference or not however other than the color it is a really well built cable and has better ergonomics than most usb cables that I have used.  I also like the fact that it splits the power and data wires.  Listening to some Dire Straits and I am completely blown away.  All this and to boot it stacks very nicely with the port as I requested the ODAC in the C5 case from JDS.  A match made in Heaven, now the wait begins to replace my 4s with a Note 2 later this year when I am eligible for an upgrade.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #1,566 of 2,018
Quote:
The little round thing in the lower right hand corner it the inductor, L100 in the +5VDC line in.
Note: Edited to remove the URL.

Dang!  That's a long way to go from pin 1 on the USB connector to that inductor.  I'd hate to see the trace path on the back side.  A ferrite is common practice immediately in the USB +5V line from the connector, but I've never seen one that big on a USB-powered DAC - more like a typical 1206 or 805 ferrite.

I'm also very surprised that there appears to be no power capacitor anywhere in the USB power path (+5VDC) on the DAC PCB at all.  All this time, I thought that was what the inductor was (an SMD electrolytic).  A standard DIY USB-powered DAC would have at least a 1000uf electrolytic there.  That certainly explains all the power issues and sensitivity with the ODAC.
wink.gif

No power LED, either, but I guess that's trivial.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,567 of 2,018
Anyone encounter this problem?

I'm using a odac+o2 combo. Amplification part unused hence now the dac is only powered by the usb.

I'm plugging it to a tube amp , 3.5mm out to 2x RCA.

The gain seems to be too high and causes distortion. I'm currently my foobar ( with wasapi ) to -12db and it's better. 

Is it meant to work this way?

Thanks

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #1,568 of 2,018
Quote:
Anyone encounter this problem?

I'm using a odac+o2 combo. Amplification part unused hence now the dac is only powered by the usb.

I'm plugging it to a tube amp , 3.5mm out to 2x RCA.

The gain seems to be too high and causes distortion. I'm currently my foobar ( with wasapi ) to -12db and it's better. 

Is it meant to work this way?

Thanks

The ODAC has a relatively high output at 2Vrms. I have a similar problem running it to a speaker amp set up for less powerful sources.

I suggest setting your system up as ODAC>O2>Tube Amp and making use of the o2 as a preamp. This works well for my situation. I leave my speaker amp set at about half volume and use the o2 as my volume control.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,569 of 2,018
DAC's do not have gain. . . and 2 volts is normal not high. I thought with a speaker amp you use the pre-amp alone to control the volume? How are you using the ODAC alone in a ODAC/O2 combo?

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,570 of 2,018
Quote:
DAC's do not have gain. . . and 2 volts is normal not high. I thought with a speaker amp you use the pre-amp alone to control the volume? How are you using the ODAC alone in a ODAC/O2 combo?

When you attach the output at the rear. Some opt for 2x RCA mine comes with 1x 3.5mm. I didn't use the power AC/AC adaptor, hence I guess it's a direct out from the DAC

ChrisLangley, not sure if it's advisable to double amplify as I only want amplification from my tube amp.

Just wondering if anyone knows the gain and voltage direct out from the odac only and why is it happening.

Thanks all :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,571 of 2,018
Quote:
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone knows the gain and voltage direct out from the odac only and why is it happening.

To quote Satellite_6, "DAC's do not have gain [they aren't amplifiers]. . . and 2 volts [RMS, the industry standard] is normal not high."

Perhaps your amplifier expects a reduced voltage such as supplied by a low-power portable player. What amp are you using?

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #1,572 of 2,018
Quote:

To quote Satellite_6, "DAC's do not have gain [they aren't amplifiers]. . . and 2 volts [RMS, the industry standard] is normal not high."

Perhaps your amplifier expects a reduced voltage such as supplied by a low-power portable player. What amp are you using?

Amp that I'm using is La Figaro 339.

I do have another Calyx DAC which is also 2v, no issues with this.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,573 of 2,018
Just thought I'd post my impressions of the ODAC. I've been living with it for about 2 weeks now. I have been constantly comparing it to my Arcam Rdac using Sennheiser HD 600's and 650's. My test amps. are an O2 and a Beta 18 with LM4562.

I give up!

I cannot tell the difference if there is one. Even with HD audio, Wasapi... ASIO. I may just put the Rdac on Ebay. This is a pleasant and surprising outcome. I did not think the ODAC would compete with the RDAC.

What a deal at $139 free shipping. And it doesn' need an ext. pwr. supply!

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #1,574 of 2,018
Imagine that...and the Odac doesnt have an exotic external power supply, is not synchronous, and is very inexpensive in comparison to lots of other dacs....isnt it nice to be able to have a world class DAC that doesnt bankrupt you!!..

Glad like it...

Alex

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,575 of 2,018
Just took an ODAC board to home this week. I was waiting for this day for so long (after several months to save enough money :xf_eek:). So far so good but ODAC and C421 OPA 2227 pair with HD598 is still not strong enough to take me to heaven yet but may be so close, at the heaven gate. Next upgrade is the MoonAudio Black Dragon V2. Keeping saving money :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back