Brief Odac impressions
Jun 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #81 of 2,018
This is why I went with Audio Poutine.  I get the same chassis as the O2 plus RCA inputs in additional to the 1/8 input, but pretty much the same price.  You get the streamline stacked look.  Plus you get an O2 board that you can build later should you decide to remove and relocate just the ODAC and install it in the up and coming ODA.

Hats off to Joe for his well executed ODAC production.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #82 of 2,018
Just got my ODAC and installed it in my O2 and it sounds Incredible!  I was using the DAC in my fiio E7 via a dock adapter and my O2 for my amp, now I am strictly using the O2/ODAC combo and I think I will be set for quite a long time now! Also,  this is a HUGE improvement over my E7. I have only been listening for about 2 hours now, but it's almost like listening to a lot of the songs for the first time again...There is more clarity, soundstage, smoothness, everything! Maybe not such a difference for some of you who have been on higher quality DAC's already, but I am really satisfied for my $100 :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #83 of 2,018
why the case is so expensive 50US$,in my country i can built the case with acrylic for 1/10 or with wood case for 1/5 price
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 2,018
Quote:
I've got about 40 hours on mine. Some brief, preliminary impressions: detailed, black background, neutral, tight bass.
I've owned the HRT MSii and the MSii+ (2nd rounded version). The Odac is definitely better than the MSii and as good or better than the MSii+.
A/Bing the two I couldn't tell them easily apart, probably could not in a blind test. Given this I sold my MSii+.
The odac has my vote for the best bang for your buck in a usb dac.

That's quite a statement hahah considering the ODAC is roughly $100-$150 and the MSii+ is $349+

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #87 of 2,018
Quote:
That is most definitely not the case they have advertised on the website.  Like someone else said, it's the C421 case.  =/

It is indeed the case shown on our site; the rendering is an exact model of the c421 case (same CAD model provided to our manufacturers). We also announced that we're using the c421 case well before the preorder went live.

JDSLabs is using the case for their c421 amp because it just happens to be the right size (other than length).  I believe they may be eventually offering a smaller version at some point, but I am sure this helped them to keep the cost lower for the early batches of them, either that or they couldn't get a custom one created/ordered in time or in enough quantity to cover the preorders.  They say they are going to talk about this in a future blog post, so really the second sentence is just my logical conjecture.  

^^^ Basically correct. It takes almost 3 months to produce a custom length case with a nice finish. You can do it faster, but quality always suffers, and I'm not a fan of low quality parts.

By the time the ODAC PCB was finished, we had only 4 weeks to judge demand and choose enclosures. YoyoDyne Consulting suggested that a standardized case for ODAC would benefit the entire DIY community. So we coordinated demand with all ODAC builders. The entire prototype discussion has been publicly posted, along with our reasoning for using the c421 case in the first batch: It's available now, and it looks great. Cost doesn't change much from one case to another...

Exact length ODAC cases will be ready in mid-July. The finished parts will be distributed to other builders and sold as individual 'DIY' items in our store. Believe me, I wish production for this stuff wasn't so slow...

If you guys want Standalone ODAC's in the O2 "B2-080" case, we can do that now. But the Standalone ODAC in the c421 case is a nicer looking product. We'll get pictures up this week.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #88 of 2,018
Quote:

It is indeed the case shown on our site; the rendering is an exact model of the c421 case (same CAD model provided to our manufacturers). We also announced that we're using the c421 case well before the preorder went live.

My mistake then, John.  I guess it just looks different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back