Brief Odac impressions
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,801 of 2,018
There is a solder pad for a power right beside the audio output pads, its right next to the inductor.  I think its 3.3v but measure it first to be sure and use a suitable resistor for your LED.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,802 of 2,018
Listening to my new ODAC for a day now. Very impressed with it.
I have the LCD-2 and B22, so my reference point is high. I previously had a buffalo-II which had a fault in it so I haven't listened to my gear in a while.
I heard many dacs and this is the first one (odac) I can confidently say that there is no real flaw in it. Just a great piece of equipment.
Though I can't compare side by side to the buffalo, I remember with the buffalo I had to lower the volume down from time to time due to treble hotness.
That is not the case with the ODAC. It is just so crisp and nicely balanced.
I'm hearing the Dark Knight Rises OST and never have enjoyed it more than now.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,804 of 2,018
Has anyone upgraded from the ODAC to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Concero, or the Arcam irDAC? I am currently using the ODAC and am just trying to figure out how the sound signature will change

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,805 of 2,018
I have tried several DACS but none of those and don't hear any real world differences at all.

The ODAC is really totally neutral and doesnt add anything or take anything away.

I would think that if any other DACS are designed as well and meet the specs that the ODAC has there should be no real difference between them.

The ODAC provides for 100% transparent performance, its as simple as that.

No real need to spend more $$$$$ on a DAC unless well......

A.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,807 of 2,018
  Has anyone upgraded from the ODAC to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Concero, or the Arcam irDAC? I am currently using the ODAC and am just trying to figure out how the sound signature will change

I mainly agree with the previous posts. Are you planning to use the Emotiva's amp section at all? Looks like they add a little dB to the lower end to compensate for "most headphones" short comings. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,808 of 2,018
Thanks for everyone's input! I actually like the sound signature of my HD 600s, so maybe I mis-spoke. I just wanted anyone's input on the Odac compared to these DACs. I have tried the NAD 1050 with my rig and it was clearly a step above the ODAC in terms of transparency, instrument separation, and smoothness/lifelike sound. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,809 of 2,018
  Thanks for everyone's input! I actually like the sound signature of my HD 600s, so maybe I mis-spoke. I just wanted anyone's input on the Odac compared to these DACs. I have tried the NAD 1050 with my rig and it was clearly a step above the ODAC in terms of transparency, instrument separation, and smoothness/lifelike sound. 

Sorry I couldn't put any input you are looking for. Those DACs are beautiful btw :]

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,810 of 2,018

I call BS on that! Measurements or it didn't happen :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,811 of 2,018

Never heard of NAD products, and not much written about its internals but looking at the above pic thats in another league to an ODAC... I totally believe him.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,812 of 2,018

Never heard of NAD products, and not much written about its internals but looking at the above pic thats in another league to an ODAC... I totally believe him.

A more complicated design don't mean a better design , but the NAD could be techniquelly better than an ODAC (well the ODAC is just using a entry level DAC from ESS maxed out ) , still there is better DACs than what used in the ODAC , it will have better measurements (if well implemented) . The thing is : is this will be audible at Carrefully Volume Matched ? I don't think soo ... (at least it's what i experienced , but you could always try , because volume matching with hear = no volume matching) .

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,814 of 2,018
I bought mine from Audio Poutine here in Canada and I really like having both 1.5mm and RCA outs; it makes changing between speakers and headphones easy. It really is a shame the designer went MIA before giving us the ODA. Nonetheless I don't think I'll be parting with my ODAC anytime in the foreseeable future.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,815 of 2,018
The Nad DAC may sound better without measuring better than ODAC. Some may like slightly rolled off highs or some other signature mark, that when complemented with good overall measurements might be more enjoyable, don't forget that. It is all down to what you expect your DAC to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back