Brief Odac impressions
Jul 5, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #406 of 2,018
Quote:
Wrong statements there. There is no uncolored headphones on the market. Every headphone have their dips and accents. And, a truly uncolored headphone with perfectly flat FR would be just unenjoyable to listen, because when perfectly flat and uncolored response enters our ear, it's becomes colored, because sound waves reflecting from the walls of the ear canal,and become colored. Not pleasantly colored, thats for sure. What FR should have a headphone to reach our brain in perfectly flat, uncolored sound? Well, that's another question. I could just post a picture describing it, but everyone would flame me to death yelling "You call this an ideal? What a moron" Etc. 
If you really interested and got time, then read some books about psychoacoustics, there is an answer in it, and some other funny facts. Like what ear sensitivity to high frequiencies reduces with age. Thats why some old guys find grados pleasing. I just love to know what my Denons are futureproof and would sound even better in future.

No, I was right, I used "uncoloured" for simplicity sake because "analytical" is close but not quite right either, the flat debate is out of scope, but some headphones need added colouration to sound best, agreed? And that's the point I was making

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #410 of 2,018
Quote:
Oh. Darn. Those are pretty much my two options right now, and I'm wondering if the Firefly is worth the extra Benjamin.

I'm confused... someone mentioned the DragonFly (small usb-stick DAC/amp), then everyone since has mentioned a FireFly?  Is this another product or are we talking about the same thing?

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #412 of 2,018
Quote:
Oh. Darn. Those are pretty much my two options right now, and I'm wondering if the Firefly is worth the extra Benjamin.

I highly doubt the sound is a factor here, I was more talking about the footprint -- I would have preferred the usb stick.

Quote:

I'm confused... someone mentioned the DragonFly (small usb-stick DAC/amp), then everyone since has mentioned a FireFly?  Is this another product or are we talking about the same thing?

Oops, Dragonfly.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #413 of 2,018
Quote:
Hey guys this might be a stupid question but here is the dilemma I got. Do i connect the DAC using 3.5mm to 2 x RCA or should I just use the 3.5 to 3.5 mm port? My amp has both 3.5 and RCA input. 

It will not make a difference. Use what you want

Quote:
ENDING THE TRANSPARENT/COLOURED DEBATE

• ALWAYS use a transparent source/DAC
  • for a coloured headphone (Denons) you want a transparent and an uncoloured amp.
  • for uncoloured headphone and sometimes boring, cold, overly analytical headphones (AKG springs to mind) you want a coloured amp (like tubes) to make it musical, especially IME AKGs take on the characteristics of the amp way above its own.
  • if you are just after accuracy, uncoloured everything, and don't mention musicality.

By doing this, one component is mostly responsible for the difference sound signatures, matching components becomes easier.
\end discussion.

and to note, there are oddballs who have success with coloured headphones and amps, (Denon + Woo) but thats just up to you, I still don't agree.

I really like this post. I used to be dead-set against tubes.. Until I listened to some with sennheisers and Electrostats, I like the tube sound sometimes. It's not my preferred thing, but it just sounds nice sometimes, especially with more "analytical" headphones

Quote:
Wrong statements there. There is no uncolored headphones on the market. Every headphone have their dips and accents. And, a truly uncolored headphone with perfectly flat FR would be just unenjoyable to listen, because when perfectly flat and uncolored response enters our ear, it's becomes colored, because sound waves reflecting from the walls of the ear canal,and become colored. Not pleasantly colored, thats for sure. What FR should have a headphone to reach our brain in perfectly flat, uncolored sound? Well, that's another question. I could just post a picture describing it, but everyone would flame me to death yelling "You call this an ideal? What a moron" Etc. 
If you really interested and got time, then read some books about psychoacoustics, there is an answer in it, and some other funny facts. Like what ear sensitivity to high frequiencies reduces with age. Thats why some old guys find grados pleasing. I just love to know what my Denons are futureproof and would sound even better in future.

He was just using that term for simplicity's sake.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #414 of 2,018
Quote:
has anyone with the RCA version of the ODAC used it with more expensive amps?  good? bad?

Although I don't have expensive amp, I have vintage amp and speakers.
I was very impressed when I heard music from my setting at the first time.
The sound is very transparent!!! In addition,the sound has a lot of detail from low to high freq.
biggrin.gif

My setting is ODAC (RAC output)-->Mcintosh MC2105-->Marantz SP-1000

My two cents.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #417 of 2,018
Yeah, how about Dragonfly and C421? I think this is a little bit strange but come on guys, Jude mentioned in his review that Dragonfly can compare to other DACs about $1k
eek.gif
. Now I am confused. Which combo should I buy Dragonfly + C421, Odac + C421 or just Dragonfly? Need more impressions and opinions of these little monsters.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #419 of 2,018
..as in, without a point of reference, most wouldn't know what to make of that statement.  I imagine the O2 (edit: ODAC, I meant) compares to more expensive DACs in certain ways too.  

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #420 of 2,018
That doesn't really mean much if you think about it.  

Exactly. I can never take "reviews" seriously when the reviewer is someone that receives money and products from so many of the audio companies that are getting "reviews" done on their products.

The ODAC is so cheap, that there isn't any reason not to purchase one just to try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back