Breakbeats, Dubstep and Drum N' Bass:
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 89
Phil k's y4k album was very good. You have to hear the drumattic twins hammer & tongs album(mixed). Has a late 90's funky breaks feel to it. Broken planet is a great track from it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #33 of 89
Ah, you're from Florida...home of DJ Icey! No wonder you're a breakbeat head
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 89
Yeah im a florida breaks fan. not really an icey fan though. All his music sounds the same to me and none of it is very good. I mentioned his generate album earlier in this thread, but everyone getting into the breaks scene around 99 had that album. I do still like listening to old Huha Hudia, Infiniti, Mike and Charlie. Mariner made some good tracks and his Amphibian album still gets a once a week play through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, you're from Florida...home of DJ Icey! No wonder you're a breakbeat head
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #38 of 89
Noisia's full-length is either released or about to be released. Anyone who's been paying attention to the jungle scene for the last 4 or so years has surely heard of these guys...

The track 'Sunhammer' with Amon Tobin is a BEAST. I want to hear it played on a large PA before I die.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #41 of 89
actually, I should reformulate my previous post....is there anybody that masters DNB as well as Ed Rush & Optical? I mean their latest "travel the galaxy" sounds miiiiiiles ahead of everything I heard before
redface.gif

and all their old tunes from the late 90's are just a part of history to me..Cause 4 Concern sounds good too, though.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually, I should reformulate my previous post....is there anybody that masters DNB as well as Ed Rush & Optical? I mean their latest "travel the galaxy" sounds miiiiiiles ahead of everything I heard before
redface.gif

and all their old tunes from the late 90's are just a part of history to me..Cause 4 Concern sounds good too, though.

Check out Seba's "Return to Forever" if you haven't done so. One song in particular, "Blaze and Fade Out" featuring the beautiful vocals of Krister Linder, makes me hair stand.

I also really dig Ed Rush & Optical's, love the Half Life samples :p

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #43 of 89
I always skipped the movies in HL2, so I never realized that it's where they came from..but yes, great speech! "Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware."

I'm currently listening to the CD you mentioned, it's nice! but it sounds dated to me...like late 90's? it sounds like they bought a "dnb for newbies" sample cd and mixed it in Reason
redface.gif

the first track intro is great, but the beat is nowhere near compressed/agressive enough IMHO...the bassline is not nasty at all, and the synths are too clean...also using the Amen break in 2008 is getting odd, didn't they get the memo?

what I really dig in Ed Rush+O's material is the really siiiiick Virus Indigo distorted bass lines and nasty harsh beats...these guys are just amazing.

I used to listen to each and every SOUR release in the early 00's, and I remember hearing some really sick tracks from C4C...I'm sure Ed Rush can't be the only contender to dark dnb in 2010, I'll dig deeper
evil_smiley.gif

I did a few DNB tracks in the early 00's, but I'm nowhere near as talented as Ed+Optical so I quickly gave up ^^

I'm not sure I'd be allowed to post them here, there's some really cool samples like a short silent break with "huh, you're still alive?" instantly followed by a big beat+sick Virus bass
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently listening to the CD you mentioned, it's nice! but it sounds dated to me...like late 90's? it sounds like they bought a "dnb for newbies" sample cd and mixed it in Reason
redface.gif

Yea, Seba and his ilk are more into the loungier LTJ Bukem sound - most of them wouldn't fit in a hard, dark DnB set (which, let's face it, is what DnB does best).

As far as acts in Ed Rush & Optical's league, I'd say there are several:
-Teebee
-Black Sun Empire
-Dom & Roland
-Klute
-Technical Itch
-Bad Company

I used to be a beatmixer in college, and one of my favorite genres was jungle. I didn't get into the albums as much, but I have 2 crates of vinyl from all of the heavy hitters from about 2000 to 2005
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back