Bravo v2 vs Magni (question)
Sep 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jTizMLG

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering.

Pairing with the Modi dac and HD600 headphones is it necessary to get the Magni as well?

Or should one just get the Bravo v2 amp?

As to someone trying to save money.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 9
V2 will give you more of a warm sound, as they are known to be paired with headphones to get more bass and the magni will be more balanced, it depends on the sounds your looking for.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 9
The build quality of Bravo amps is not that good. Schiit on the other hand makes great stuff. I have an HD600 and it sounds just fine on the Magni. If you're looking for a tube amp, I'd look more carefully and be prepared to spend more.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Are you looking for Solid state or tubes? with the Bravo you have the option to roll tubes and some other mods, on the other hand the Schiit have a specific sound signature. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 9
  Are you looking for Solid state or tubes? with the Bravo you have the option to roll tubes and some other mods, on the other hand the Schiit have a specific sound signature. 

You can roll tubes on the Schiit Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2. The Valhalla 2 is a pure tube amp, the Lyr 2 is a hybrid.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 9
I think were getting way out of his budget since he was talking $100 amps. Its going to really depend on the tube or solid state.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 9
For that price range I'd go with a decent quality SS amp e.g.,  Schiit Magni or perhaps a FiiO E12. I was considering picking up a Bravo, just to check it out, however, the they seem to have poor quality and are noisy. It looks like controls that re soldered to the PCB are not secured to the case so they will eventually have failed connections to the PCB. Many people have complained of heat issues as well.
The schematic that I've seen for the Bravo V2 shows it to be a Hybrid, not pure tube amp. The biasing of the tube and use of a LM317 voltage regulator as a current source is clever but not what I'd consider a good strategy for SQ. If I'd have my sights on a tube amp, I'd save up, wait, and get something better.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639277/bravo-v2-modding-plans-and-ideas

They also claim "Pure Class A Tube amp, No op amp IC." This is not entirely true, it is a hybrid. There is no op amp IC but there is a solid state output stage. I'd call their statement deceptive. They even misuse, as I've stated, a voltage regulator as part of the audio circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back