Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Feb 7, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #1,801 of 2,720
Very satisfied with my Bravo Audio Ocean, anyway to mod it to get away the pop when i turn it on/off`? Right now I just unplug my headphone before starting/turning off.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,803 of 2,720
Hehe, quite noob in the modding world. The hardest ive done is to switch op-amps in the past. Can you explain it abit more?

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,804 of 2,720
Just saying, unplugging your headphones before switching the power is generally the best practice, safer for your headphones (and hearing).
I've read about time delay circuits (like used in HT receivers, y'know how you turn them on, and after 2 seconds you hear a click and then the speakers go live?) and fade-in/fade-out that eases the power draw as you switch the power on/off. I don't know if those are built-in to potentiometers (I bet it is in some) or a separate circuit onto the PCB board, but you'll probably figure it out if you look for them.

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,809 of 2,720
Quote:

Hey Def,

When I'm tube rolling do I have to have music playing to warm up a Tube or can I just switch the Amp on and leave it on for like 15 minutes?

Thanks!

You can leave it on, though in my case it seems to warm up faster (the background buzz goes away faster anyway) when music is playing. I always turn my amp off before replacing a tube, turn it on and let it warm up (maybe eat a snack), then bias the tube. Correct biasing makes a huge difference compared to tuning it by ear.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,810 of 2,720
My Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp was delivered today. This is my first foray into the tube world and I am already loving it!
Just to satisfy my inner DIY'er, I have just ordered the following components for mods -

1. Panasonic Capacitor 25volts 2200uF
2. IRF510PBF Mosfet
3. Panasonic Capacitor 3300uF 35V

I am not very much familiar with tube rolling and bias setting, so would like to check out the stock tube fr some time and would research on tube rolling at the same time.
My HD600 will be delivered tomorrow. Excited to pair them with this little tube amp!

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,811 of 2,720
No IRL510? 
size]

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,812 of 2,720
Quote:

Hey Def,

When I'm tube rolling do I have to have music playing to warm up a Tube or can I just switch the Amp on and leave it on for like 15 minutes?

Thanks!

The essential point of tube warmup is so the tube adjusts to it's nominal bias level before playing. If you haven't noticed if you turn on a tube amp and expect music to be instantly coming out, there isn't any music coming out till a few 10-15 seconds later, usually channel by channel slowly. It's like starting up your car in a cold morning and driving off instantly, instead of a good few minutes of combustion burn-in. The same goes if you wake up early for work and you don't drink coffee, you need that catalyst to get you started for the day.

15 minutes is a little too long, a minute or two for start up phase before playing music is about the right time.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,814 of 2,720
Quote:
Whats better as far as quality, and mod capabilities, Bravo Ocean, or Bravo V2?

Both should be about equal to amount of mods available but to be honest it's hard to say, dropping in a better tube is a bigger enhancement than anything else. Quality wise the Ocean is by far better, sound/performance ratio wise after mods the Bravo v2, but it's a hard one to decide.

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,815 of 2,720
Quote:
No IRL510? 
size]

Didn't find IRL510 anywhere just got the IRL510PBF from Mouser.
I am wondering if it is even compatible. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back