Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Feb 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,786 of 2,720
Hey, so I was interested in the Bravo V3 becuase it seems as though the tube amps give great sound for headphones. Would this amp work well with the SR-80i's? I know that its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread but, do you guys have any updates as to how your amp is holding up? (Preferably those who own the Ocean or V3)

So you guys suggest that I change the tube after I buy it? Is it easy to change the tube? Is it a soldering job or just plug in? What tubes are recommended?

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,787 of 2,720
No soldering is required, changing tube's is as easy folding a piece of paper. 

1. Turn off the amplifier let it cool down a few minutes (the tube still be hot a while).

2. Gently pull the tube out from the socket of the amp.

3. Slot in a matching equivalent tube (different make/manufacturer etc), confirm compatibility before turning amp on.

4. Once all good and the tube is fully intact, you're good to go, turn on amp and enjoy the music.

5. If you hear some hum or slightly distortion with the low's, certain NOS tubes can behave like this, let the tube reform itself (burn-in equivalent) for 24 hours for best results. If artefacts still persist, replace tube or try in another amp.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,788 of 2,720
Nice, that sounds good. Thanks. How long have you had your amp? Do you happen to have the V3, cause I wanna know how good the equalizer works? I have the Pyle PTA2 small stereo amp to power my SR-80i's but like it becuase of the equalizing feature which works really well. I just want know how effective the V3 is in comparison.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,790 of 2,720
^ of this amp design, I would prefer an Indeed G3, because it has many upgraded components (resistors, low-noise power supply, capacitors, MOSFETS) two inputs & outputs, a switch to enable 6DJ8 or 12AU7 equivalent tube families, a bass/treble boost function that adjusts itself based on overall volume setting, a power-on safety delay to prevent the "pop!" that can damage your headphones and hearing, and more. The bravo made some improvements from their original release, and they're a bit cheaper, but unless you have modding skills I suggest you buy the Indeed version. If you read back through this thread, starting at the beginning or middle when these amps were most popular, you'll see that many people came to this conclusion. Particularly look for Judge Buff's posts, he ended up buying a few of each kind of amp.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,792 of 2,720
Quote:
Nice, that sounds good. Thanks. How long have you had your amp? Do you happen to have the V3, cause I wanna know how good the equalizer works? I have the Pyle PTA2 small stereo amp to power my SR-80i's but like it becuase of the equalizing feature which works really well. I just want know how effective the V3 is in comparison.

I had the V1 Bravo prior to joining Head-fi (been a lurker since 2004) and as soon as I registered not long later I got a Bravo v2 for free, so it's been 2 year's of me owning the Bravo v2. I haven't tried the V3 because I don't think it's worth the extra dosh but it shouldn't be to bad if you want the addition of a simple built in equaliser. Dedicated equalisers and software eq are still by far more powerful with more control though. Just more finicky as you need to know what sound hertz range you need to adjust if you want a simple treble, tone and bass adjustment. Theoritically speaking, the V3 is a V2 with eq.

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a V1 or V2 for a Sennheiser HD600 - which one would you prefer and why?

Thanx a lot
f.

Skip out both and get yourself a Bottlehead Crack or Sunrise DIY amp (or built for a bit more money). None of the Indeed's, Bravo's will do the headphones justice not just impdedence wise. 

Quote:
Was wondering if these little tube amps could be used to color the sound from computer speakers?

I have the Audioengine A2 and was wondering if that's possible?
Would there even be any point?

These are not designed to power speakers directly unless you use the Bravo or Indeed as a dedicated pre-amp, their isn't much coloration added just more warmth.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,793 of 2,720
   Hi all. Had a bravo V2 now for over 3 months. Nice little amp but after reading this entire thread I've invested in a good soldering gun and sucker :wink: Hope to start all the great mods suggested in the next few weeks. Thanks head fi!

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,794 of 2,720
Quote:
   Hi all. Had a bravo V2 now for over 3 months. Nice little amp but after reading this entire thread I've invested in a good soldering gun and sucker :wink: Hope to start all the great mods suggested in the next few weeks. Thanks head fi!

In order for sound difference (biggest diff from top to bottom):

Tube rolling
IRL510 PBF or N mosfets
Crosstalk mod
Change caps to bigger values and using better brands Nichi's or Elna's will do replacing those NCC's.
Change LM317 to 317A military spec fets

Optional but very beneficial and massive change to background noise but expensive:

o22 (Sigma22) regulated power supply or equivalent.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,795 of 2,720
Quote:
These are not designed to power speakers directly unless you use the Bravo or Indeed as a dedicated pre-amp, their isn't much coloration added just more warmth.

AudioEngine A2 are self powered so I guess these would assume the role of a pre-amp?

I just got it today!
Overall first impressions, I'm impressed. My Shure SRH840 sound much better! Bass punch is cleaner, highs have more detail, separation and soundstage is better.
Did not hear a big difference with my Grado SR225s.

I'll burn these in until the weekend and see what's up.
DefQon, hope you'll be cool with me PM'ing you in regards to eBay Tube auctions, just want your expert opinion!

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #1,796 of 2,720
Quote:

AudioEngine A2 are self powered so I guess these would assume the role of a pre-amp?

I just got it today!
Overall first impressions, I'm impressed. My Shure SRH840 sound much better! Bass punch is cleaner, highs have more detail, separation and soundstage is better.
Did not hear a big difference with my Grado SR225s.

I'll burn these in until the weekend and see what's up.
DefQon, hope you'll be cool with me PM'ing you in regards to eBay Tube auctions, just want your expert opinion!

^ No problems, be happy to be of help.

Yes they will be working as a pre-amp. I've always felt that anything Grado or Alessandro up to the GS1000's work better with solid state amps over tube based, the synergy is great with some ss amp's and some Grado/Alessandro's.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,797 of 2,720
Quote:

In order for sound difference (biggest diff from top to bottom):

Tube rolling
IRL510 PBF or N mosfets
Crosstalk mod
Change caps to bigger values and using better brands Nichi's or Elna's will do replacing those NCC's.
Change LM317 to 317A military spec fets

Optional but very beneficial and massive change to background noise but expensive:

o22 (Sigma22) regulated power supply or equivalent.

Wow, thanks Defqon! Been rolling tubes since day I got it. Favorite is ken rad 5814, but I have a bunch I haven't tried yet 
biggrin.gif
 I'm taking a spare no expense approach with this hopefully. Really appreciate that list

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,798 of 2,720
Quote:
 Wow, thanks Defqon! Been rolling tubes since day I got it. Favorite is ken rad 5814, but I have a bunch I haven't tried yet 
biggrin.gif
 I'm taking a spare no expense approach with this hopefully. Really appreciate that list

No problems, usually people can't justify spending so much on tubes and effort on modding these little amp's (or other cheap one's of the equivalent), but for me these are pretty fun sounding, sure it doesn't beat $500-1000 hp tube amp's, but the fun factor with experimenting with cheaper is extremely rewarding especially after each slight sound improvement, not to mention if it breaks only $50-100 gone and you can use the tubes else where. You make a mistake on a $500-1000 amp, their goes a large wad of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back