Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Nov 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,321 of 2,720

I don't think mine ever had feet...if it once did, it certainly doesn't now...
You might be able to get some replacement feet at Radio Shack or
your local electronics supplier. On-line retailers will surely have many
to choose from as well.

Quote:
Anyone lost the feet yet and had to replace them? I lost one of the little rubber donut feet.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,322 of 2,720
The "donuts" are in fact rubber grommets like these, sticked to the screw heads.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,323 of 2,720

Quote:
The "donuts" are in fact rubber grommets like these, sticked to the screw heads.

Yeah, google "rubber grommets" and look for them in smaller quantities than 100 at 12 pounds (~$19). McMaster's has them here, but you can probably find them at every electronics distributor. Heck, you may even find something compatible at the Crap Shak.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,325 of 2,720
See, it never hurts to ask...

Quote:
Well, Indeed gets a gold star in my book. I emailed them to ask if they knew an American distributor of the feet, and he's sending one.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,328 of 2,720
Has anyone seen the V3? How is it compared to the V2? I am really interested in these little tube amps. I am new to tube amps and have no idea what this tube rolling is, but can it be done on this V3? Do I have to mod it? Thanks!
H

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bravo-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-V3-EQ-Equalizer-valve-US_W0QQitemZ260677485333QQihZ016QQcategoryZ12050QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem'

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #1,329 of 2,720
The general consensus is to stay away from the V3 with the EQ, the sounquality shouldn't benefit from adding the EQ.
I suggest you look at he V2 or the Indeed, both are good, the Indeed might be a bit better/mod friendly

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,330 of 2,720
Everybody is always slamming the V3 yet nobody has one. I do and I haven't noticed any problems with the sound quality at all. The EQ is quite helpful for vintage cans with grating highs or recessed mids.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #1,331 of 2,720
I am new to the whole tube rolling thing. Got my E88CC Reflector tube from the Ukraine today, however my biasing didn't go well. Following the directions listed, I was able to bias my right channel to exactly 16.5 volts, however the left channel will only max out at 14.95 volts, even with the pot cranked as far as it will go.

What does this mean, do I have a bad tube. Can I live with this or will this be degrading my sound significantly? Is there any way I can fix this? Thanks for the help.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #1,332 of 2,720
Maybe the tube is not nib (new in box) or nos (new old stock), and has been used during a long time, is weak, and its specifications are not good enough now.
The Reflector E88CC is a 6n23p-ev, a good tube it seems, the problem with bias that are not equal is one channel could overflow the other, you could try to adjust both at 14.95 V and see how it sounds.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,333 of 2,720
The tube is supposed to be NOS and unused. It seems to sound fairly decent after about 5 or 6 hours of burning but I am sure it needs more. Still annoys me though that I can't get it biased correctly.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #1,334 of 2,720

Quote:
The tube is supposed to be NOS and unused. It seems to sound fairly decent after about 5 or 6 hours of burning but I am sure it needs more. Still annoys me though that I can't get it biased correctly.

Forgetaboutit... I have a great Bugle Boy that only biases out at a little over 11V on one side. It's not strong but it's sweet.

Just make sure the output sounds balanced to your ears. A tube that's sold as NOS doesn't mean the tube is perfect, just "unused." Even tubes that are "tested" are sometimes very unbalanced. Don't be harsh on yourself or the tube... Just listen to your music.

According to the measurements, these amps are supposed to sound like crap, but they don't. Screw the numbers... how does it sound? Oh yeah, post a picture of your 6n23p-ev. There are recently made garbage tubes out there with bright blue and bright yellow markings. Some folks are painting the nipples on tubes and claiming that this signifies that the tubes are special.

One last thing, the 6n23p-ev isn't an E88CC and won't ever be. That's a marketing scheme to imply that the tube is a high quality tube. The E88CC is a European only designation that is only comparable to the American 6922 designation. Russian tubes (and Chinese) never followed these standards. If you are dealing with Russian or Chinese tubes, always check that the tube specifications closely correspond to what you really need in the circuit. The tube specs of the 6n23p (and ev) place it within the 6dj8 family specs and is therefore equivalent. But it isn't an E88CC any more than a Chinese 6n11J is.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #1,335 of 2,720
Thanks for the reply Judge.

What is the usual procedure for biasing like that though. Does it make the most sense to bias both to the same level I guess then? That seems to be the most practical thing to do. The tube does sound good though. What is the usual time line for breaking in something like a tube. This one likely has 10-12 hours on it now. Should it start to sound even better after about twice this period of burning in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back