Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Oct 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #1,186 of 2,720

Are you kidding....the power supply cap IS as big as the tube...
The output caps are as big as the old power supply cap.

I've never heard of a Bravo/Indeed humming like yours.
I might guess power supply, but the amp should be getting
ground through your other equipment.
What else is in your system?

Quote:
I like how the caps are almost as big as the tube
wink_face.gif

By the way I still have not solved my problem of a humming sound that goes away only when I touch the amp. I don't know much about electronics but after some searching a possible cause could be a ground loop?
I'd think connecting a wire attached to the amp to a ground would work, but at the moment i have no idea where to find a ground to connect to besides my body
eek.gif

Anyone can help?

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,187 of 2,720

Quote:
Are you kidding....the power supply cap IS as big as the tube...
The output caps are as big as the old power supply cap.

I've never heard of a Bravo/Indeed humming like yours.
I might guess power supply, but the amp should be getting
ground through your other equipment.
What else is in your system?

I have a 10K uF Nichicon KW in my Gen 1 Indeed that is almost as tall as the tube is inside the tube socket. And you are right about the big electros making a huge difference in the amps' sound. The PS cap that you are talking about really makes a big difference in reducing line noise and increasing the bass (my perception).

My Gen 1 Indeed also used to hum in the left channel when I first got it. It disappeared after I pressed down on the socket (without the tube being in it). I'd also wiggle the PS plug inside the jack to see if that alleviates the hum.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #1,188 of 2,720

I have power cap envy...

Quote:

I have a 10K uF Nichicon KW in my Gen 1 Indeed that is almost as tall as the tube is inside the tube socket. And you are right about the big electros making a huge difference in the amps' sound. The PS cap that you are talking about really makes a big difference in reducing line noise and increasing the bass (my perception).

My Gen 1 Indeed also used to hum in the left channel when I first got it. It disappeared after I pressed down on the socket (without the tube being in it). I'd also wiggle the PS plug inside the jack to see if that alleviates the hum.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,189 of 2,720
I have one of the V2 amps on the way. It'll be my first tube amp and I plan on writing a review on it for my site (link in my sig). I'm pretty new to this "audiophile" thing (but I love it, just the same) and my budget is pretty strict because of my University expenses so my experience with headphone amps is limited to my trusty CMoy BB v2.02 and some portable Fiio amps. Any idea of what I should expect? I'm really excited to get it and give it a listen.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #1,190 of 2,720

Quote:
I like how the caps are almost as big as the tube
wink_face.gif

By the way I still have not solved my problem of a humming sound that goes away only when I touch the amp. I don't know much about electronics but after some searching a possible cause could be a ground loop?
I'd think connecting a wire attached to the amp to a ground would work, but at the moment i have no idea where to find a ground to connect to besides my body
eek.gif

Anyone can help?

I occasionally have the humming problem. But it is not there most of the time, maybe it is some kind of inteference? I heard that the Bravo is quite susceptable to inteferences.

I have just completed revamping my Bravo V2 with almost completely new components :
(In the order of sound improvements, for my own taste, of course......)

1. 2x IRL530 FET --> hugely improve the highs, but if you like the warmth of the amp, just leave it, sounds better with closed cans than open cans.
2. Output caps to Elna Silmic II 1000uF 25V (still very big, improves the low end a little bit)
3. Switch the output resistors from 47R to 68R
4. Power cap spitted into 2x Nichcon FW 4700uF 35V (same size as stock, but I managed to put one at the bottom)
5. All resistors to Takman metal film resistors (reduced the hiss a bit, don't bother if you have Indeed amps)
6. 5k trimmers for tube rolling (13V bias on each side for my settings)
7. 2x LM317A + slightly larger cooling fins (couldn't hear any differences......)
8. The two small 1uF caps to Silmic caps (are those the coupling caps?) couldn't find WIMA caps....unfortunately....

I've also got some 12AU7 tubes to play around as well, but currently I am happy with Siemens chrome plate as
it has low noise, a very open soundstage and quite neutral sounding. Actually, the stock Chinese tube doesn't sound too bad either.

My preference : Siemens chrome plate > Baldwin (Sylvania) > stock
I have another Mullard which sounds totally different from the others as it is significantly warmer in tone.

I shall post some pics on later on today.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #1,192 of 2,720

The red LED should be on when ever the amp is on.
The red LED is part of the CCS that biases the tube.
There is also a blue LED. It should also be lit whenever
the amps is on. It is purely cosmetic and can be disabled
if you don't like the effect.

Quote:
My Bravo V2 has arrived now. I unboxed it, pluggd in and the red is always lighting. Why is that?!

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #1,195 of 2,720
Here comes the pics!!
atsmile.gif
As promised.

Switched on with Siemens tube

The angled power caps

The much larger Takman output resistors

The LM317A with a taller heatsink

IRL530

The Silmic output caps

This is what the amp looks like, plus the other tubes. A double-cheese burger for the Bravo.

I still haven't managed to get a better switch, but acutally I couldn't care less. The cork type of small feet help to steady the little amp
so that it won't slide around with the weights of the cables. The brushed metal volume knob is actually quite expensive.......
The sound coming out of this little amp is cool, but of course, with the sort of effort and money that I have placed into
this little amp, I probably could get a Little Dot 1 instead already..... but fun is fun, at least I enjoyed the soldering desodering
part in the last few weekends.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #1,197 of 2,720
EEEEEEEE my post offices tracking page shows it's been through the main post office of my home town at 8:58 today! Seeing that it went through Helsinki's airport, post office and sorting all yesterday in a timespan of 8 hours, I might get it today *hammers the F5 button on the package tracking page*

Damn I'd really want to order the FiiO E7 to go with it, but then again a Pro-ject USB Box would be just twice the price and I could get it instantly from the store and that would hardly require updating for my modest mid-fi needs whereas I'm a bit suspicious about ordering a FiiO through DealExtreme (the only way I can get it for under 100€ to Finland) and I'm very sceptical about it's performance although I know that an Audigy SE is a huge upgrade from intergrated sound in motherboards.. Oh wow after reading that run-along sentence I just realized how excited I and wired up on coffee I am.

EDIT: okay so they cannot process a packet from one building to another in over 8 hours. Why do they torture me like this.

- Ordered the FiiO E7 for shiz and giggles
- And now the package is at the post office, 24 hours late from what I had wished but nonetheless. Going to fiddle with it a tad in three hours, don't have time to do a burn-in (then again I really want to see if there is such in the first place (if the whole amp even works))

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #1,198 of 2,720
AHH THE RIGHT CHANNEL IS ABSOLUTELY MUTE- Oh wait this is the bad RCA cable I should've thrown out weeks ago.. As an initial impression all I can say is wow. I really liked my AKG K 272 HD before, but in comparison to them un-amped and them through the Indeed G2, they previously sounded thin, and made most music sound like noise. Now the sound is now alot fuller, extends waay lower with really neat punch that wasn't there at all before, and little details in plucked strings and cymbals became way more defined and vivid! I ran them through my Nokia X6 and laptop integrated only, so I'm really looking forward to running them through the Fiio E7 that might ship tomorrow already! Having read a bit and tested very little decent equipment, I started thinking if this whole thing was a placebo but I've got to say, I was very skeptical and even running the Indeed through a relatively bad source made a significant improvement. Can't wait to get the FiiO, if it's anything like this upgrade I couldn't even ask for more.

EDIT: Just received a really cool looking London themed aluminum case from my girlfriend's mother that's 11cm x 11cm x 7cm and feels quite sturdy. I'm thinking of drilling a few holes into it and making it a chassis for the Indeed G2. It'll look a bit cheesy but don't know, it might end up looking quite cool. I'll be away for two weeks so I'll see what kind of cases will I find for it.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #1,199 of 2,720
Welcome to the club...sorry about your wallet

Quote:
AHH THE RIGHT CHANNEL IS ABSOLUTELY MUTE- Oh wait this is the bad RCA cable I should've thrown out weeks ago.. As an initial impression all I can say is wow. I really liked my AKG K 272 HD before, but in comparison to them un-amped and them through the Indeed G2, they previously sounded thin, and made most music sound like noise. Now the sound is now alot fuller, extends waay lower with really neat punch that wasn't there at all before, and little details in plucked strings and cymbals became way more defined and vivid! I ran them through my Nokia X6 and laptop integrated only, so I'm really looking forward to running them through the Fiio E7 that might ship tomorrow already! Having read a bit and tested very little decent equipment, I started thinking if this whole thing was a placebo but I've got to say, I was very skeptical and even running the Indeed through a relatively bad source made a significant improvement. Can't wait to get the FiiO, if it's anything like this upgrade I couldn't even ask for more.

EDIT: Just received a really cool looking London themed aluminum case from my girlfriend's mother that's 11cm x 11cm x 7cm and feels quite sturdy. I'm thinking of drilling a few holes into it and making it a chassis for the Indeed G2. It'll look a bit cheesy but don't know, it might end up looking quite cool. I'll be away for two weeks so I'll see what kind of cases will I find for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back