Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Apr 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #692 of 2,720
Personally i would replace passive components last, as there are other mods that will improve the sound a lot more

(This is for the 12AU7 version, but it is possible to convert the 6922/6DJ8 version to the 12AU7 one if you really want to do the crosstalk lowering mod)

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #693 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll just put a toggle switch in there for now, but sort of wanted a decent pushbutton style swithc.

My switch crapped-out tonight... Have you discovered a suitable replacement?

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #694 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fragile little conversation piece, this amp is.

Good for soldering practice, it has become.
evil_smiley.gif

USG

standard.jpg

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #695 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fragile little conversation piece, this amp is.

Good for soldering practice, it has become.
evil_smiley.gif

USG

standard.jpg

Thanks, Yoda...
ksc75smile.gif

This is the first part on mine to expire. The rest I replaced by choice.

I'm still willing to rescue yours from that drawer, BTW.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #696 of 2,720
Apr 7, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #697 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a new version out - v3. This time with a built-in eq...

Bravo Tube Headphone Amplifier V3 EQ Equalizer valve on eBay (end time 05-May-10 13:52:08 BST)

Think I'll pass.

I have no desire for an EQ, I would also pass.

My V2 has been here for a day now, still burning in. I'm quite happy with it, but it is far to hot for lower impedance phones. Not a problem for me because the low impedance cans are mostly in my travel bag and this amp is going to be stationary by my bed, where I'll be keeping a pair of HD580's.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #699 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine didn't work,sent it back 4 months ago,no word yet,should have saved the postage and put it in the bin...
confused_face_2.gif

They never sent me a replacement for the broken power supply that came with the amp. They e-mailed that they would, but they never did.

So, I use an ELPAC PS (that cost more than the amp) when I want to demo it.

Btw, how much did it cost to send it back?

USG

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #701 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looked on Mouser.com for replacement switches a few months ago and recall seeing more than one that looked like it might fit. I posted a link to it on this site.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #702 of 2,720
I measured the current consumption for my Bravo and it drew 320mA at idle.
Being a class A amp the current at idle is the same as at full power...the draw
at ear-splitting levels was still 320mA. The bottom line is that the 1 amp supply
will work just as well as the 2 Amp supply. How well filtered the supply is will make
the biggest difference.

I checked on Digi-Key and the replacement power swith is: CKN1191-ND

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #703 of 2,720
Got mine (V2) yesterday and absolutely hated the sound he was making ... thought, you get what you´ve paid for (~30€ incl. shipping) but the sound changed dramatically (in a good way) in the first hours of usage.

I´m curious how he will evolve in the next 20hours ... so far he shines with very detailed mids, works great with male voices ... lows are though pretty uncontrolled and the highs are a bit recessed -> but the sound overall is great for such a cheap amp.

neopac

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #704 of 2,720
I now have a couple of 16V 470uF SilmicIIs and a Philips Jan 6922 in it and it's very different, in a good way. The caps were certainly a more subtle change than the tube. Together much smoother across the board, a wider and deeper soundstage. I look forward to seeing how some more hours might help too.

I've a 10,000uF 50v Nichicon power cap on the way too.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #705 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now have a couple of 16V 470uF SilmicIIs and a Philips Jan 6922 in it and it's very different, in a good way. The caps were certainly a more subtle change than the tube. Together much smoother across the board, a wider and deeper soundstage. I look forward to seeing how some more hours might help too.

I've a 10,000uF 50v Nichicon power cap on the way too.

Good stuff, huh? That Philips Jan 6922 is a very good tube for the money. I find the 6dj8s to be more robust sounding than 6922s in my amp, though. If you can find a decently balanced, 6dj8 A-Frame with a dimpled disc getter (say that 5 times fast), you may never put another 6922 in it.

While you are changing out parts, put a couple of decent (one-turn Bournes, etc) trim pots in it. Much nicer for rolling tubes, than the stock pots on mine!

There is a great eBay vendor, who is a loyal subject of the Queen, named johnny3838 that has a nice Mully or Brimar, usually on a weekly basis. I've gotten a couple of these for a pittance, the latest being a Brimar a couple of days ago. Worth checking out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back