Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #316 of 2,720
Jan 10, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #318 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, how can i email bravodeal4you? sent him a message 2 weeks ago and didn't get any reply from him.

Did you email him directly through Ebay? (using your account?)

You might have been filtered out if you used his regular email,

For the direct response, you might try bravodeal <at> gmail {dot} com

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #320 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bias was set for the 6N11. Typically, the 6DJ8 runs at a higher plate voltage, so in effect, your bias is now low and likely not even running Class A at this point. I tried several other quality tubes, but found that the best sound was using the stock 6N11. I have not reset the bias for any of the other tubes. Perhaps in the future, I will try putting the amp on my test equipment and making some changes, but for now, I will just continue to use the 6N11.

Thanks for the reply and explanation, HiFlight. So I guess you're saying that I have to adjust the bias with those trim pots, correct? What exactly does each one do? Very much a noob when it comes to tube amps so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Is there a guide here in the forum that I've overlooked for adjusting bias or is it more like slowly turn the screw on each trim pot, keep listening and hope for the best? Thanks for any advice/guidance and pointing me in the right direction.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #321 of 2,720
Well Gang...

I found my meter. Power supply measures a perfect 24V.

I was thinking the trouble with my Amp was one of the
2N3906 PNP transistors. But I looked up how to test them, and they both measure the same. So now I am thinking that one of the ICF630's is not functioning (one heats up one does not). But I still have no sound on the side that does heat up.

Is it worth trying to replace one of them...to try get this unit going??

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #322 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Proper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply and explanation, HiFlight. So I guess you're saying that I have to adjust the bias with those trim pots, correct? What exactly does each one do? Very much a noob when it comes to tube amps so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Is there a guide here in the forum that I've overlooked for adjusting bias or is it more like slowly turn the screw on each trim pot, keep listening and hope for the best? Thanks for any advice/guidance and pointing me in the right direction.

I too would like for some instructions for setting bias since I am using 6922 and pcc88 valves. Can anyone here give some clear instructions on how to do this correctly? Thanks

Jan 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #324 of 2,720
whats the difference between this and indeed?

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #325 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the difference between this and indeed?

Apparently not much difference, except for individual components. I've only had to do what gurusan describes: just a little tweaking with both pots. I had the headphones on and when the sound was suddenly balanced in the phones I stopped. The pots aren't very precise feeling, but they are lined up the same, currently.

Initially, with the 6N11, the right pot was all the way clockwise (at 1 o'clock) and the left was at 11 o'clock. Now they are both at 12. A little turning goes a long way with the sound presentation.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #326 of 2,720
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Bravo or Indeed ..... suggestions for a new first time buyer? I'm currently using 595 cans.
I noticed the Indeed already comes with a 2a 24v power supply.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #327 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bias was set for the 6N11. Typically, the 6DJ8 runs at a higher plate voltage, so in effect, your bias is now low and likely not even running Class A at this point. I tried several other quality tubes, but found that the best sound was using the stock 6N11. I have not reset the bias for any of the other tubes. Perhaps in the future, I will try putting the amp on my test equipment and making some changes, but for now, I will just continue to use the 6N11.

I notice that they do not use the 6N11 now but the 6922. Also there is another brand that claims to be the first producer of this amp, with a lower price and the 6N11 tube and a 2 amp power supply.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #328 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently not much difference, except for individual components. I've only had to do what gurusan describes: just a little tweaking with both pots. I had the headphones on and when the sound was suddenly balanced in the phones I stopped. The pots aren't very precise feeling, but they are lined up the same, currently.

Initially, with the 6N11, the right pot was all the way clockwise (at 1 o'clock) and the left was at 11 o'clock. Now they are both at 12. A little turning goes a long way with the sound presentation.

Thanks for the input, gurusan and Judge Buff; from what I've been reading that appears to be the way folks are making their adjustments. Just wondering if there's a more precise way to do it by measuring voltage with a multimeter and where I should take measurements with the probes.

As far as the Indeed vs. Bravo differences, after doing a lot of reading I'm agreed with JB. Don't have both amps so I can't directly compare but the general consensus is the Bravo has improved components and an overall better build quality. Personally, I haven't had any issues with the Bravo's stock power supply so far (knock on wood). With the 595's sensitivity and impedance, you should have no problem driving them with either amp.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #329 of 2,720
Thanks DP .... I'm going to order the Bravo .... and not to get off topic .... I may get the Maverick as well because I need to drive a signal to a guitar effects processor from my Zen or Ipod. The volumes just not there and although I've looked at the pico portables, the selection of inputs on the Maverick makes it very tempting and it will give me something else to compare and play with now that I've offically "started" down the path.

Anyway thanks for the input ... it's the first post I've gotten a reply too .... this is exciting. Well here goes another avenue for my GAS problem.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #330 of 2,720
Could someone please explain how you 'adjust the bias' ? I have changed the stock tube but I have'nt a clue how to adjust the bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back