Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Dec 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #151 of 2,720
Hey Derek, I can verify for you first hand that this amp will make your HD238 sound fantastic. I have both an E5 and this Bravo amp and personally feel that the E5 is a bit underpowering for the HD238. The Bravo amp is much more powerful and the difference that you'll notice will be like night and day. I also use the Bravo to power my HD580's which I feel also matches up very well. The E5 is a decent portable amplifier, but I think that it's more suited for IEM's, while the Bravo should be more than adequate for most full-sized cans.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #152 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoolinEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could any be kind enough to reccomend an upgraded tube to go with an AKG K702? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a tube, but just something better than the 6N11. I've had a look at some of the tubes mentioned here in the post, but i'm not sure what would be a good match for the AKG.

I don't know about matching the tube to the cans, but my Indeed has taken every tube I've put in it. Only two of the tubes have sounded badly. The 6N1 and an Amperex 6dj8 with an orange/white Holland label were mediocre at best.

It's my understanding that "all things being equal," tube "families" have personalities. That is, most tubes of a particular type, made at a certain facility during a particular time-span have the same characteristics. There are several sites that talk about various tubes' characteristics. Don't let the prices quoted out there scare you off. You can find the same tubes for much cheaper. You can't go wrong with a Siemens, a Mullard, a Telefunken or a Philips Holland. JAN 7308 and 6922 (E88CC) tubes are generally good as are 2492 (British Mil Spec). There are great bargains in PCC tubes, too, so snap them up.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #153 of 2,720
Thank you kindly Judge. I'm going to browse around and hopefully be able to find one of those you mentioned at a reasonable price
smile_phones.gif
The 6N1 doesn't sound bad by any means, but if theres room for improvement then i'm definately game for trying a new tube.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #154 of 2,720
Hi!
This is my first post and my english is not so good like that. Please be patiente with me. LOL
tongue_smile.gif

I'm waitting for my first headphone amp (this little guy).
For now I'll use it with my AKG K81DJ
o2smile.gif
, and maybe give it a try with the Sleek Audio SA1 + W1 that I'm waitting for. What is the best way to connect this to my iPod Touch 64Gb/Classic 160Gb? I was thinking about SendStation PocketDock Line Out with mini-usb. Do you think is a good choice?
In a near future, maybe I'll put it on my office connected to a pair of speakers. How can I do this with just a headphone out jack? and what kind of speakers do you recommend in this situation?
Thanks in advance,

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #155 of 2,720
The on off switch in mine is getting unreliable. Sometimes won't turn on again if I turn it off. Just unplugging and re-plugging for now.

It's a physical problem with the switch, not electrical.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #156 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiCosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
This is my first post and my english is not so good like that. Please be patiente with me. LOL
tongue_smile.gif

I'm waitting for my first headphone amp (this little guy).
For now I'll use it with my AKG K81DJ
o2smile.gif
, and maybe give it a try with the Sleek Audio SA1 + W1 that I'm waitting for. What is the best way to connect this to my iPod Touch 64Gb/Classic 160Gb? I was thinking about SendStation PocketDock Line Out with mini-usb. Do you think is a good choice?
In a near future, maybe I'll put it on my office connected to a pair of speakers. How can I do this with just a headphone out jack? and what kind of speakers do you recommend in this situation?
Thanks in advance,

Your Pocketdock will be fine.
I highly doubt that you'll be able to drive speakers from this - for 'good bang for buck' cheap speaker amps the T amps are pretty nice.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #157 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The on off switch in mine is getting unreliable. Sometimes won't turn on again if I turn it off. Just unplugging and re-plugging for now.

It's a physical problem with the switch, not electrical.

The switch on mine looks like it might be similar to one of these DPDT locking:

PN41LENA02QE C&K Components Pushbutton Switches

Just a guess from a quick look. You would want to measure the pin spacing and make sure that it is pin compatable (it switches the same pins).

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #158 of 2,720
I got outbid by a doller on ebay and now there are no more for sale. They dissapeared

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #159 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got outbid by a doller on ebay and now there are no more for sale. They dissapeared

There are some for BUY IT NOW for $59.98, search for headphone amp. I have one of these as well and they are nice. I put it a nice 6H23 tube in mine. Love a lot man.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #162 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcinthesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried the Bravo amp with an Alessandro MS1 or Grado headphones?
I am curious what improvements this will present since the MS1 does so well unamped.

My bravo is coming within a week fingers crossed, i will be trying them with grado rs2i's so i will let you now

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #163 of 2,720
I too am interested in this amp since it's price is a good deal. I will be using my 325is, hopefully they pair up well. I read that this amp is high gain? As far as I know, grados run on low right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #164 of 2,720
The gain is high on these amps. I don't have Grados but in terms of easy to drive cans there is not a noise floor or interference problem with portapros but with RE0 iems there is significant noise. Let us know how you get on with the Grados - I doubt there'll be a problem.

Regarding power supply, I've read no mention of people upgrading - I'd be interested to hear it there's any significant improvement.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #165 of 2,720
The extra tubes I ordered off ebay are starting to turn up now but still no bravo, cant wait for it to turn up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back