Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Nov 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #121 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's crazy how these babies are flying off the shelves.
So far 6 listing snipes have failed.

I just got one at $32 + shipping, which to me is a reasonable price given the history. I just set my max bid and went to sleep, not expecting to win
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone with experience using this with the Alessandro MS1i or similar Grado phones? Do they work well together?

How long does the tube last typically?

I'll post some updates after I receive it.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #123 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by igor0203 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting for mine and it's almost a month since I ordered it...
confused_face_2.gif

probably the holidays slowing it down. i ordered mine on the 7th and it arrived on the 23rd. it takes some time, but with thanks giving just passing im sure that didn't help.

btw i just ordered a "JJ/Tesla 6922 E88CC 6DJ8 preamp tube" from my understanding the jj/tesla is regarded as being pretty good amongst the tubes. & is priced good as well. so hopefully this will get me more that clarity im looking for hehe.

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #124 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by tlau1125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got one at $32 + shipping, which to me is a reasonable price given the history. I just set my max bid and went to sleep, not expecting to win
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone with experience using this with the Alessandro MS1i or similar Grado phones? Do they work well together?

How long does the tube last typically?

I'll post some updates after I receive it.

I was sniping all night with Gixen with 32-34, i get outbid every time! argh.
Fate has not allowed me to get this cutie. haha.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #125 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sniping all night with Gixen with 32-34, i get outbid every time! argh.
Fate has not allowed me to get this cutie. haha.

Since you have set up sniping, just let it do its thing over a period of time. With some patience you'll eventually get the amp.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #126 of 2,720
I bought one a couple of hours ago for £21 (~$35) on ebay.
Looking forward to receiving it, hopefully before Christmas
smily_headphones1.gif

Still not sure about it's safety though - what happens if you touch the top of that large capacitor that's uncovered? Anyone know what it's rated at and if it's conductive - I hope not. As mentioned before, I've got several kids and they do love to touch the untouchables.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #127 of 2,720
Just bought one of these for a bit of fun and experimentation.

I ordered a used Brimar CV2492 as it looked like a good contender for a replacement. Will this be ok or should I look for something more expensive?

Initially I will be driving a set of original KOSS Pro4AA headphones that I aim to lightly restore.

Santa has been e-mailed with a pair of HD650's hinted at. I've been really good this year, so there is a good chance that they will recieve an audition sometime soon on this amplifier.

If the above replacement valve is no good, can someone point me at a decent one?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #128 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought one a couple of hours ago for £21 (~$35) on ebay.
Looking forward to receiving it, hopefully before Christmas
smily_headphones1.gif

Still not sure about it's safety though - what happens if you touch the top of that large capacitor that's uncovered? Anyone know what it's rated at and if it's conductive - I hope not. As mentioned before, I've got several kids and they do love to touch the untouchables.

Keep it out of view and sight when you're not using it. Charged capacitors are never safe to touch.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #129 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep it out of view and sight when you're not using it. Charged capacitors are never safe to touch.

At 24v?

Anyway the case of the capacitor will not hold a charge.

The biggest hazard to small fingers will be the hot heatsinks.

I am thinking about re-casing mine for that reason. Probably in a cheap aluminium enclosure with some created ventilation

That assumes that I like it.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #130 of 2,720
I have also picked one these amps up today off ebay for £21 quid.
It will be my first tube amp and where better place to start than at the bottom. All i need now is a selection of different tubes to roll, that will cost more than the amp and I might get an i/c so i can plug my ipod straight into it instead of from my dac.

I just hope it will be able to do a decent job for my RS2i's

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #131 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by justblair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At 24v?

Anyway the case of the capacitor will not hold a charge.

The biggest hazard to small fingers will be the hot heatsinks.

I am thinking about re-casing mine for that reason. Probably in a cheap aluminium enclosure with some created ventilation

That assumes that I like it.

Hmm... You're right. I guess building a new case for it will take care of any potential hazards.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #132 of 2,720
Quote:

Hmm... You're right. I guess building a new case for it will take care of any potential hazards.

Public Service Announcement

Don't get me wrong, caps can potentially be dangerous (well they can give a painful jolt at least) when found in recently used high voltage circuits (Think Switch mode power supplies or CRT monitors et al.) so they should be approached with caution, especially if you are dealing with an unknown circuit. The bits to avoid are the terminals though.

Public Service Announcement Complete!

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #133 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by justblair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought one of these for a bit of fun and experimentation.

I ordered a used Brimar CV2492

If the above replacement valve is no good, can someone point me at a decent one?

Amperex & RCA 6922s, any Philips Holland ECC/PCC88s, any Siemens ECC/PCC88s, Telefunken ECC/PCC88s. E88CCs are 6922 equivalents. Your 2492 is a British JAN 6922 (military specs); in general Mullards are preferred over Brimars. My best tube is a D getter Philips Miniwatt PCC88. It cost me $8 + shipping out of Bulgaria. German eBay has some incredible auctions.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #134 of 2,720
Quote:

Just unplug it and set it up on a shelf when you're not using it... or let your kids see (with your supervision) just how hot the heatsinks are.

They won't bother it anymore. The sinks are almost as hot as a light bulb. Building a new case is overkill and it won't cool as well unless you install a fan.

My 5 year old granddaughter understood in about 30 seconds that the pretty lights were great to look at but not to touch. You can feel the heat at about 6 inches.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #135 of 2,720
Got one (Bravo) the other day. It sounds more like a transistor amp, perhaps because the tube is a driver for a transistor output stage? It sounds nice, not as detailed as a JDS labs Cmoy with the Senn HD 448s. Perhaps I should get some AKG K702's? Think I will.

A track that really sounds good on the Bravo is "Now We Take Manhattan" from Jennifer Warne Famous Blue Raincoat, an old audiophile standard. It shines with vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back