Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Nov 25, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #106 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will i be able to notice this difference if the difference to me between amped & unamped are subtle...granted i can hear the difference, but mostly between base with the stock tube...

if i upgrade the tube will i get a noticeable difference in sound i guess is what im asking

I did with several tubes. The Phillips JAN 6922 mentioned is my 3rd best sounding tube, so far. The best by far is a Siemens E88CC/6922 branded as an RCA. I had to tweak the pots to get it right, but it is unbelievably spacious with deep bass and precise mids and crystal highs. I have others on the way, but I doubt any of them will beat the awesome RCA.

If you get a good replacement tube (6922, E88CC by Telefunken, Siemens, Philips, Mullard, et.al.) and you can't tell a difference from the stock tube, I wouldn't buy any more expensive audio gear, as you might never be able to discern the differences in great sounding music. My wife can't tell any difference between the TV and my surround sound system or a car radio and my SRH440s.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #107 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did with several tubes. The Phillips JAN 6922 mentioned is my 3rd best sounding tube, so far. The best by far is a Siemens E88CC/6922 branded as an RCA. I had to tweak the pots to get it right, but it is unbelievably spacious with deep bass and precise mids and crystal highs. I have others on the way, but I doubt any of them will beat the awesome RCA.

If you get a good replacement tube (6922, E88CC by Telefunken, Siemens, Philips, Mullard, et.al.) and you can't tell a difference from the stock tube, I wouldn't buy any more expensive audio gear, as you might never be able to discern the differences in great sounding music. My wife can't tell any difference between the TV and my surround sound system or a car radio and my SRH440s.

thanks for the quick response, im not sure what pots are tho. Are those the legs that plug into the socket?...i want some relatively plug in play, i dont want to break anything if its an obvious adjustment of those legs and they bend easy then i wouldn't mind trying it. hopefully others will chime in on the fav tube so far

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #108 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maxed out the yellow pots,no diff,walkman still sounds better with out it.
I guess it's back to having the coolest paper weight on the block.
rolleyes.gif

Mine shipped in late October, and when it showed up it didn't work properly -- in fact I got no sound besides a buzzy whine. I let the seller know, and they got back to me right away that there was a known issue with some of the power supplies they were shipping. They sent me a new power supply right away ('course, it took two weeks to show up). Now it works great, and I'm quite pleased all around.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #109 of 2,720
It will change the tube sound but won't magnify it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #111 of 2,720
What do the yellow pots adjust? Gain? If so, would lowering the gain too much cause oscillation like it will in opamp based amps like the CMoy (given that one uses an opamp which is prone to oscillation)?

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #112 of 2,720
Damm you head-fi ! I just bid and won one of the amps for $37 + shipping and I really did not need this.
frown.gif

Also bought a once tested Sylvania 6DJ8 tube to try out. - 6DJ8 X1 JAN SYLVANIA TUBE AMP APLIFIER TESTED - eBay (item 380167228242 end time Nov-25-09 03:36:22 PST)

Hopefully I will enjoy these with the HD650.
smily_headphones1.gif

I always wanted a tube amp for the HD650 but could not because of the high prices of tube amps & the fact that my dad makes home amps and I thought it would be rude to use something other than his amps. But this one is too cheap to pass the chance not to use it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #113 of 2,720
I'm really having a debacle. It's either get this amp for under 50 bucks or save up and get a LDMKII or DarkVoice 336i/SE.

Nov 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #114 of 2,720
I say get this amp for cheap and then have some fun rolling the tubes. Find out which tubes sound best and then get a much better tube amp than the LDMKII next year.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #115 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannevond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do the yellow pots adjust? Gain? If so, would lowering the gain too much cause oscillation like it will in opamp based amps like the CMoy (given that one uses an opamp which is prone to oscillation)?

is that what he means by tweeking? looks like a philips screw driver fits in the yellow tops, just turn them to adjust...what is the left and right one for when facing the front of the device?

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #116 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wanted a tube amp for the HD650 but could not because of the high prices of tube amps & the fact that my dad makes home amps and I thought it would be rude to use something other than his amps. But this one is too cheap to pass the chance not to use it.
smily_headphones1.gif

So now you use not just other amp than his, but a cheap one! Even more rude!

wink.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #117 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that what he means by tweeking? looks like a philips screw driver fits in the yellow tops, just turn them to adjust...what is the left and right one for when facing the front of the device?

"Tweaking" is making small adjustments. I only had to turn each pot ~10 degrees. I think the right pot is the heater current and the left is overall gain. Only adjust one at a time and know where the original position was for each.

When I turned the right pot about 10 degrees counter clockwise, my right channel got louder and smoothed out. The left pot made the music louder when I turned it about 10 degrees clockwise. I didn't use a screwdriver. I used a decent pair of needle nose pliers while I was listening to the amp. I was very, very careful not to touch anything but the wheels when I was tweaking the pots.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #119 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's crazy how these babies are flying off the shelves.
So far 6 listing snipes have failed.

supply & demand........bid higher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back