Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,906 of 2,720
Quote:
 Thanks, Nice score on the tube! Stupid Mop is a Pearl Jam song. It's an inside joke amongst my friends and it just stuck. They all call me Mop. I didn't choose the lame nickname, it chose me
wink_face.gif
 Maybe I'll change it to just Mop if they'll let me.
Best,
Mop

I love it. I got the reference right away. Keep it!

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,908 of 2,720
Quote:

yea ignore Buff he's a cranky old fart ;3. Although he knows his tubes xD so he's always a joy to listen to... unless ofc he's giving us whimper snappers some life leassons lol [kiddin with ya buff <3 <3] 

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,909 of 2,720
yea ignore Buff he's a cranky old fart ;3. Although he knows his tubes xD so he's always a joy to listen to... unless ofc he's giving us whimper snappers some life leassons lol [kiddin with ya buff <3 <3] 

I haven't heard any reason to ignore him. I might listen and decide to do something else, but I don't find his advice or perspective dated (besides the fact that we're talking NOS tubes here). To say "Ignore the cranky old fart" is a dis-service to anyone new who might not understand your whole post was in jest.

Aaaaaany way, that out of the way, aren't most of us posting in the Bravo thread actually Indeed amp users? Maybe we should shift discussion over there and bring that thread back up to active status, since that's the one most of us recommend (unless you're buying to get a tube amp cheap as possible, and replace most of the parts yourself). Mshenay, i'm sure the thread would benefit from your G3 impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/t/484975/indeed-g2/45#post_9253441

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,910 of 2,720
Quote:
I haven't heard any reason to ignore him. I might listen and decide to do something else, but I don't find his advice or perspective dated (besides the fact that we're talking NOS tubes here). To say "Ignore the cranky old fart" is a dis-service to anyone new who might not understand your whole post was in jest.

Aaaaaany way, that out of the way, aren't most of us posting in the Bravo thread actually Indeed amp users? Maybe we should shift discussion over there and bring that thread back up to active status, since that's the one most of us recommend (unless you're buying to get a tube amp cheap as possible, and replace most of the parts yourself). Mshenay, i'm sure the thread would benefit from your G3 impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/t/484975/indeed-g2/45#post_9253441

I'm modding my bravo. yes I have an indeed(defective) but I also have a fournier, crack, ps2,etc. i actually read all 128 pages of this thread plus all the links to the rockgrotto forum. I just like soldering :wink: Most of my parts have been ordered or are here. I don't know a lot of audiophiles so this seemed like the best place to hang out. It sucks telling your friends about your new tube amp and them saying "what"?  ha Then tell em u replaced the mosfets and how much it extended the high frequencies on your ortho's and get a confused "cool" response lol. Inevitably all those coversations lead to them wanting to talk about beats by dre, which I've never owned.

I'm a total noob,and maybe this is a no no, but I'm having discussions here, the sunrise2 thread, various fostex threads, and many others. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules
blink.gif
  I've read many posts on here that I thought hey I could add to this discussion or learn somethin here but then I realize they are a year or 2 old. I was under the impression thread resurrection was frowned upon. Anywho I totally took the Buff reference as a joke. I've read the whole thread so I know better 
beyersmile.png
 I always find Judge Buff's posts intriguing, entertaining and informative. But u are absolutely right, I've gotten all the info I need from here. And cluttered up the info even more with this long winded posts 
tongue_smile.gif
. Thanks to all for the help!

Best,
Mop

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,911 of 2,720
Yo mop,
Not a dig on you, haha. You aren't breaking any posting rules I'm aware of, and I've recently had to reread them.

I also went back and read back through all the old posts in this thread, and there is some great modding advice... I'm not sure if it's on the Indeed thread too. Probably a modding summary on that thread in a new post would bring a lot of attention there. I'm not policing or anything, just noticing how many contributors have Indeeds, yet the indeed thread hasn't had any love for a while. Honestly, I don't use either amp, but I've learned a lot about tube amps that I've used from all the threads you mentioned, and I just end up posting here most often XD

Resurrecting dead question threads and the like is frowned on, but we've all done it once. Thing is though, this Bravo thread, the Indeed G2 thread I linked, and others that have reached lots of posts (like the V-MODA M100 thread, I was there when it was just a preview thread a year ago, and now WOAH!) become sort of the discussion and review landing pages for their respective products. So, it's not really like a zombie thread in that case.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,913 of 2,720
Quote:
I haven't heard any reason to ignore him. I might listen and decide to do something else, but I don't find his advice or perspective dated (besides the fact that we're talking NOS tubes here).  Mshenay, i'm sure the thread would benefit from your G3 impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/t/484975/indeed-g2/45#post_9253441

xD I hear ya, well it's an ironic post people might read that... then read his LONG DETAILED post,,, and they would most likely figure I was joking e.e he ALWAYS posts in such a way that his knowledge is kinda obvious but not in your face. He commands that respect when it comes to tubes <.<

and I might check those guys out! Instead of buggin u guys here on the Bravo thread, 
Quote:
Anywho I totally took the Buff reference as a joke. I've read the whole thread so I know better 

Oh yea ofc, I have some love for buff and his tube knowledge :O I mean Man knows his TUBES! But I do hear you, as some ppl are to lazy  to read the whole thread. Plus he really does have some GREAT advice

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,915 of 2,720
I have just received my Bravo Audio Ocean and have been fully enjoying it playing my LPs and CDs through my brand new HifiMan HE-400 and my vintage AKG K240DF cans (the ones I bought the amp for, in the hope of more low end repsonse, which it has now).  I'm just using the stock tube at the moment, and I'm finding info about replacement tubes pretty confusing and complex.  If I'm wanting to retain or even improve the low end response more and gain some more detail and dynamics, is there a relatively cheap option for me to replace the tube with?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,916 of 2,720
Ok I'll make it brief.

The Bravo Ocean takes 12AU7 tubes. The 12AU7 tube is a miniature 9pin based dual triode which runs at either approximately 6.2-6.3v @ 300ma or 12.5-12.6 @ 150ma at the operating heater current (do note these are almost similar to your bias values). The European equivament of the 12AU7 is the ECC82 and then there are military equivalents with similar matching or a higher mu rating which are the E82CC/ECC802S (some are very long) and the 5814A's which are USA made.

The best current in production 12AU7 tubes are made by Sophia Electric and Psvane, don't bother with Russian/Chinese reissues of older Mullards/Philips/Electro-Harmonix etc.

The best NOS (new old stock) 12AU7 tubes are the rare 1950's Telefunkens ECC802S/ECC82's usually etched with a unique identifiable code on the diamond base. The prices for them are extremely expensive. $300-500 for a pair. Alternatively some of the really NOS level Amperex Holland plant manufactured Bugle Boys are very very good as well also quite expensive as well.

You don't have to drop so much money on tubes since it's your first time and you are tube rolling in a cheap amp, there are plenty of $10-20 tubes on eBay that are worth a go and sound good most of the time.

Just a beginner's list/info guide if you want to read a bit more:

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12au7.html

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,917 of 2,720
Thank you for the info. So, would something like this be an improvement over the stock valve?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261185244722

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,918 of 2,720
Sorry, wrong link, I meant http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261185244722&index=0&nav=WATCHING&nid=17551222857

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,919 of 2,720
I have what I think is a cheap RCA 12ua7a Clear Top tube in my indeed G3, and it sounds really wondeful!

Great tight bass, smooth highs, lush punchy mids and awesome sound stage. My w1000x really lobes my indeed <3 <3 

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,920 of 2,720
I've just noticed listening to a metal album through this amp, that there is bleed over to the left channel when a guitar riff is supposed to be just on the right.  It sounds like it's distorted and bleeding over to the other side.  This surely isn't right?  Does anyone know what this issue may be?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back