Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Mar 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,936 of 2,720
Quote:
Forgive me if this has already been answered, but with a 129 pages devoted to the Bravo, I've not been able to find it.

I just received a V2 today and guess I got lucky, because it is dead quite (no static).  My question is, the stock tube does not glow at all from what I can see.  In other words, I have a Cary tube system as my main home audio system and those tubes obviously glow orange.

I have looked at the stock tube on the Bravo V2 and I see zero glow from the heaters.   The blue LED is bright, but it would not "drown out" any glow from the tube if looked at closely.

Thanks very much all

That's quite normal as long as long as the sound is fine and the tube itself is warm or hot to touch after some use. If not, bias problem which can be rectified with a multimeter and bias at 13.5v each channel.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,937 of 2,720
Quote:
... buy a cheapo tube n see if it glow orange :O

Well, I don't think you can get much cheaper than the tube that came with it.  I'm assuming  since there are no bias pots on these newer versions of the Bravo that it is over biased and thus not getting as much current across the heaters in the tube which obviously would make it hotter and thus glowing.

Maybe I'll just take an orange "Sharpie" and color the tube orange, how 'bout dem apples! :O

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,938 of 2,720
Quote:

Well, I don't think you can get much cheaper than the tube that came with it.  I'm assuming  since there are no bias pots on these newer versions of the Bravo that it is over biased and thus not getting as much current across the heaters in the tube which obviously would make it hotter and thus glowing.

Maybe I'll just take an orange "Sharpie" and color the tube orange, how 'bout dem apples! :O

There never has been bias pots on Bravo's besides v0 prototypes and modded ones, they are biased in the factory before they are shipped out. You mean under-biased, if you over-bias them, the tubes glow brighter, more heat and more strain on the heaters and cathode shorting the life-span of the tubes greatly.

Alternatively you can just change out the bright blue LED to orange colour and call it a day.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,939 of 2,720
Quote:
That's quite normal as long as long as the sound is fine and the tube itself is warm or hot to touch after some use. If not, bias problem which can be rectified with a multimeter and bias at 13.5v each channel.

DefQon,

Thanks so much for the response and info.  I was starting to wonder if the tube was just for cosmetic purposes.  I have to say that I've very pleasantly surprised at how good this little amp sounds.

I just recently purchase the new i-Can amp and the Bravo gives it a run for its' money!

Thank you again!

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,940 of 2,720
Quote:
DefQon,

Thanks so much for the response and info.  I was starting to wonder if the tube was just for cosmetic purposes.  I have to say that I've very pleasantly surprised at how good this little amp sounds.

I just recently purchase the new i-Can amp and the Bravo gives it a run for its' money!

Thank you again!

Hehe, if you see an amplifier that has a bunch of opamp's grouped together and 1 tube, 50% chance that the tube is for cosmetic purposes only, there are amp/cd tube amp's that follow this sort of trickery as did my stock Shanling CD300 cd "tube" player did before it was Lampized.

Hope you enjoy, but for what it's worth get some tube rolling going on for a better listening experience.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,941 of 2,720
Quote:
Quote:
DefQon,

Thank you again!

Hehe, if you see an amplifier that has a bunch of opamp's grouped together and 1 tube, 50% chance that the tube is for cosmetic purposes only, there are amp/cd tube amp's that follow this sort of trickery as did my stock Shanling CD300 cd "tube" player did before it was Lampized.

Hope you enjoy, but for what it's worth get some tube rolling going on for a better listening experience.

HeHe, Maybe you don't have any experience, therefore, don't know of what you speak.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,942 of 2,720
Quote:
HeHe, Maybe you don't have any experience, therefore, don't know of what you speak.

speak of teh devil, it's the fellow who sold me my Indeed G3, which reminds me both of my amps, my Indeed G3 and my Millet WhipLash Modded, now have clear tops in them as my w1000x likes a tube amp, but the indeed does not like low im[edance cans, and the mullard 5963s where to thick for the w1000x. The dt 880 still sounds nice with clear tops, the lower mids are not as thick any more which is sorta nice in addition those highs have cleaned up a little... 

Still really diggin the w1000x and tubes <3 

Oh yea vocals are much better on the w1000x low gain tube 

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,943 of 2,720
Quote:
Quote:

speak of teh devil, it's the fellow who sold me my Indeed G3, which reminds me both of my amps, my Indeed G3 and my Millet WhipLash Modded, now have clear tops in them as my w1000x likes a tube amp, but the indeed does not like low im[edance cans, and the mullard 5963s where to thick for the w1000x. The dt 880 still sounds nice with clear tops, the lower mids are not as thick any more which is sorta nice in addition those highs have cleaned up a little... 

Still really diggin the w1000x and tubes <3 

Oh yea vocals are much better on the w1000x low gain tube 

Ah, it's the 19 year old authority whose daddy took away his amp when it arrived!! I guess he finally gave it back to you?

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #1,944 of 2,720
What, what happened? Not sure if what is going on here now or who you are directing the last post to rmouser. 
size]

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,945 of 2,720
Quote:

Ah, it's the 19 year old authority whose daddy took away his amp when it arrived!! I guess he finally gave it back to you?

obviously to me, man I'm moved outa there. So I should thank you, crazy step daddy couldn't handle me making more money than him -.-

non the less rmouser thanks for being chill sorry to drag you into that, point being dude sold me an indeed G3 with a nice mod [the easy bias with wires out the side mod] it sill works and it's still worth $100 

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,946 of 2,720
Quote:
Quote:
DefQon,

Thank you again!

Defqon--the "trickery" you refer to is obviously the new Starlight. there are 3 guys on the planet with knowledge, me being the least as I built the very first kit. The designers are very highly respected.

mshenay---you're referring to me as the devil is NOT quite appropriate on a forum like this...............

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,947 of 2,720
Well, it's astonished me just what a difference swapping the stock tube out for a used Mullard from eBay has made on my Bravo Audio Ocean!

My bass light vintage AKG K240 DFs are now fuller and much more appealing and more dramatically, it has smoothed away the tizzy top end of my new HE-400s, which is exactly what I wanted. I was on the verge of returning them.

I couldn't be happier with his little purchase. This being my first experience with valve amps, I must say that my overriding impression is that of a cohesive, almost anti-analytical sound presentation. I'm not wanting for detail either. It's hard to explain. Everything just gels together better than I'm used to hearing through my equipment before.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,948 of 2,720
Amigomatt,
That's exactly the feeling I got from my tube amp, it's musical and really is about the fun of it instead of something science. I had to start from a new old stock tube because mine came smashed in the mail, but once I got a good tube I was really happy :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,949 of 2,720
Quote:
Defqon--the "trickery" you refer to is obviously the new Starlight. there are 3 guys on the planet with knowledge, me being the least as I built the very first kit. The designers are very highly respected.

Hmm sorry no I didn't, I think you have a misunderstanding here? The Starlight didn't even come to mind when I made my post, actually didn't even know the Starlight after I made the post on your Starlight thread. I was talking about few of the low budget and high end "tube buffered" CD players and amplifiers I have read and owned. Namely one of them is my $1k Shanling CD300, the opamp's do the work and the tube is only for cosmetic purposes but all that was changed after following the procedures of getting it Lampized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back