Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #5,446 of 6,668
From everything I've read, the balanced outputs of the AK players measure worse than their single-ended outputs, especially under load.

I've read this too, but I say let your ears be the judge.

It sounds clearly better. I think I described the differences many pages back, during my shuffle back and forth

Also, I remember AK folks saying that with the 2nd generation of the 100/120, they decided not to only rely on measurements like they did with the first gen, but to also use their ears as a final check for what actually sounds good for tuning purposes.

My ears tell me the balanced sound amazingly nice, better than the single-ended. For me atleast

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5,447 of 6,668
From everything I've read, the balanced outputs of the AK players measure worse than their single-ended outputs, especially under load.

The AK100ii has slightly more juice in SE than it does in Bal.

The AK120ii (and up) has slightly more juice in Bal than it does in SE.

What exactly are you reading?

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #5,449 of 6,668

But I guess the EL 8´s where meant to be driven by almost any portable dap. They are supposed to be driven from your iPad or iPhone. They are 30 ohms.
The LCD series, then yes, without an amp there is not enough power.

I see you have both as100ii and mojo... how do you compare them in terms of dac and amp sections? Do you prefer your ak paired with your mojo?

Thank´s

AK paired with Mojo gives the best sound I've heard. Clean, extended, effortless. The Mojo DAC is something special. But for portability I stick with just the AK. It's a small step down soundwise but I can live with it.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #5,450 of 6,668

That is true as a generalisation, but planars are being developed to be far more efficient.
Whilst you will need a super powerful amp to get the best out of HE6, I think the HEX could be driven well by AK100ii.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I have not even tried my HE560 direct from the AK100ii...

Well I tried driving my HE400i directly from the AK. Nope, not enough dynamics for me. Sounds a bit hollowed out too. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #5,451 of 6,668
Well I tried driving my HE400i directly from the AK. Nope, not enough dynamics for me. Sounds a bit hollowed out too. 

This is true with me and my HE400i too, I use the Mojo to get the best sound out of my HE400i. But then I find myself giving my Senn HD800 all the head time when I stack. I have not spent much time listening to the AK100 II without the MoJo.
I will be traveling next week and plan to leave the MoJo behind. Going to use QC25 for the trip along with the AK 100 II for portability.

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #5,452 of 6,668

AK paired with Mojo gives the best sound I've heard. Clean, extended, effortless. The Mojo DAC is something special. But for portability I stick with just the AK. It's a small step down soundwise but I can live with it.

So do you think the Mojo paired with an iPhone with 24 bit files will be a better solutions in terms of soul quality than the AK 100 II?
Not as portable...but better?

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #5,453 of 6,668

This is true with me and my HE400i too, I use the Mojo to get the best sound out of my HE400i. But then I find myself giving my Senn HD800 all the head time when I stack. I have not spent much time listening to the AK100 II without the MoJo.
I will be traveling next week and plan to leave the MoJo behind. Going to use QC25 for the trip along with the AK 100 II for portability.

This is to be expected. The 400i and 560 are nowhere near as efficient as the HEX.
400i 93db
560 90db
HEX 103db

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #5,454 of 6,668

So do you think the Mojo paired with an iPhone with 24 bit files will be a better solutions in terms of soul quality than the AK 100 II?
Not as portable...but better?

The Mojo is to my ears, head and shoulders above the AK100ii in SQ. Having said that, the AK100ii provides a very pleasing form factor and UI that I'm extremely comfortable with, so when I go out it's just the AK with my IEM of the day. Mojo stays at home.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #5,455 of 6,668

The Mojo is to my ears, head and shoulders above the AK100ii in SQ. Having said that, the AK100ii provides a very pleasing form factor and UI that I'm extremely comfortable with, so when I go out it's just the AK with my IEM of the day. Mojo stays at home.

I'm in a similar position. I bought the AK100ii as a transport for Hugo, but I am quite happy to use it as a standalone whilst out walking.

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,456 of 6,668

I'm in a similar position. I bought the AK100ii as a transport for Hugo, but I am quite happy to use it as a standalone whilst out walking.

beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,457 of 6,668
I'm always out walking with my 120ll.  No Mojo stacking, no losing the wonderfully infinite volume control of the 120ll.  If I listened at home for more than a half hour at a time I might consider it, but I'm listening during exercising.  And there is no guarantee that I would like the sound signature over my 120ll w/Angie/Moon Black Dragon balanced cable.  Pass.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,458 of 6,668
  Finally I found the problem, and it is so stupid... My transferts were bad. Some folders were there but without the files :)

Last question about one of my problem: The volume knob seems not working. When I want to turn up the volume, if I am doing this to fast, it turn down... I need to do it step by step.
Do you have the same trruble? 

?

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,459 of 6,668
This thread is quite long already... I have read quite few pages.

Still cant decide if  I should get the 100II or the 120II. Never heard both. Tried the user interface of an demo k240. It´s great!
I´m coming from a Theorem 720 but since I´m just using iems at the moment, I really want a good quality dap.

Also, is there a diference between the line out quality between 100II and 120II?
People tend to not speak good stuff about the ak´s line out. Why is that? Not a true line out? Is it at least decent?
At home I plan to connect it to a more powerful amp or even to a integrated amp.

Some thought and advises would be very appreciated.

Cheers!

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #5,460 of 6,668
  This thread is quite long already... I have read quite few pages.

Still cant decide if  I should get the 100II or the 120II. Never heard both. Tried the user interface of an demo k240. It´s great!
I´m coming from a Theorem 720 but since I´m just using iems at the moment, I really want a good quality dap.

Also, is there a diference between the line out quality between 100II and 120II?
People tend to not speak good stuff about the ak´s line out. Why is that? Not a true line out? Is it at least decent?
At home I plan to connect it to a more powerful amp or even to a integrated amp.

Some thought and advises would be very appreciated.

Cheers!

i heard both 100ii and 120ii barely any difference at all

i bought ak380 big difference

my ak100ii is up for sale for 680 usd like brand new all inclusive ( paypal , ems shipping )

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790737/astel-kern-ak100ii-like-brand-new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back