Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Nov 15, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #5,042 of 6,668
I'm very shy with Equalizing. I've never made anything sound better.

It's definitely easier to make it sound worse...
I too try to stay away from the EQ. I don't like the idea of my music being digitally "enhanced". That's just me though.

...but the producer of the music was not using your equipment. If he was, the "original" would no doubt be different.

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5,043 of 6,668
I think he may have meant "further" digitally enhanced.  No one uses the equipment in their homes that producers/engineers use in the studio or mastering houses.  

That said, with the 120ll and the Angie I don't really see much need to eq.  While some material sounds "less" than others, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to fix things.  

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,046 of 6,668
Good neutral players and phones don't need specialized EQs. They will sound great out of the box. Sure, if you are skilled, you can tweak it to suit your tastes even more, but it's far from necessary with quality gear.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #5,048 of 6,668
need some help figuring out how to download using AK CONNECT feature?

i'm on the latest fw (1.25?) and i can connect and play files from my upnp server but i can't select and download tracks/albums onto the AK100II?

can someone point me to the right way to do this?  thanks...

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5,049 of 6,668
If you like a particular sound signature, that's not neutral, eq makes a tremendous difference. I've used it on all of my daps, AK240 to my Fiio X1. I do agree, daps should be neutral though.

Every DAP I've owned has sounded "different."  Certainly your 240 and your X1 sound entirely different (I have an X1 as well as my 120ll- which is supposed to sound fairly similar to your 240), so I can speak to that lack of similarity.  My Pono was different from my X5 was different from my DX50 was different from my C3 was different from my iPhone.  My 120ll is very different from my Pono.  

However, I've used eq on none of my DAPs.  I found that changing iems has a greater effect on sound sig, as does changing iem tips.  Throwing in eq'ing just seems like it would muddy the waters and I'd lose track of what the sound was supposed (whatever that means) to sound like.  

With the AK120ll and either my Angies or my UERMs the sound is fairly neutral (not neutral) and I can hear what the track sounds like.  Sometimes it feels like it could use more bass or less treble, but if I start trying to make it more what I think it should be, I'm afraid I'll move away from what it actually sounds like.  

If that makes sense.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #5,051 of 6,668
I`ve also just downloaded - took around 2 minutes.  

Reboot took around 1 minute.  I like how it said `Upgrading` instead of updating. . . 

No 20-band eq that I can see.  

What is `CD Ripping` ?  Was that there before? 
Edit: no, CD ripping is a new feature and appears to require AK`s $300 CD drive.  

I`m not seeing any other alterations to the UI at all.  Play is totally stable.  
Edit : actually my 120ii is still getting stuck on a 24/352.8 track . . 

Anybody finding anything of interest? 

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #5,053 of 6,668

Every DAP I've owned has sounded "different."  Certainly your 240 and your X1 sound entirely different (I have an X1 as well as my 120ll- which is supposed to sound fairly similar to your 240), so I can speak to that lack of similarity.  My Pono was different from my X5 was different from my DX50 was different from my C3 was different from my iPhone.  My 120ll is very different from my Pono.  

However, I've used eq on none of my DAPs.  I found that changing iems has a greater effect on sound sig, as does changing iem tips.  Throwing in eq'ing just seems like it would muddy the waters and I'd lose track of what the sound was supposed (whatever that means) to sound like.  

With the AK120ll and either my Angies or my UERMs the sound is fairly neutral (not neutral) and I can hear what the track sounds like.  Sometimes it feels like it could use more bass or less treble, but if I start trying to make it more what I think it should be, I'm afraid I'll move away from what it actually sounds like.  

If that makes sense.

oldude i respect ur opinion, but coming from car audio and after spending over 15000 usd on car audio it was just the helix pro processor that allowed me to achieve one of the best sounding car audio system where i live. If u saw the eq i  have on the helix pro processor in my car it would baffle you. 

Now as for headphones i do not see why some are so against eq while so many people ask for more bass from that dap or less treble in this dap and so on and those could be corrected with a solid eq. I admit no one dap out there has a professional eq or semi professional processor like viper4andorid but still many rely on eq to correct things. Also i do not get it, if the artist got screwed by the recording company to make his album sound like crap then i am sure that this is not what the artist wanted you to hear and is the result of poor recording result which i am sure the artist did not want you to hear

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #5,054 of 6,668
I'm not "against" EQ.  I think if someone wants to EQ it's fine.  Personally, I no longer EQ, though I did it a lot on my home systems when I was younger.  And, obviously, using bass and treble controls in my home system or car is EQing, albeit on a smaller scale.  I simply said that I've gotten to the point where I take the music as it comes, and that my 120ll and Angies/UERMs give me sound that allows me to hear the music as (relatively) it was recorded.   Even though sometimes a track may SEEM bass-light, I'm not going to mess around and try to get it to sound "right."  Maybe it already does sound right.  And then, of course, once I apply EQ to that track, then the next track may sound "wrong" because I have the EQ on.  Rabbit hole, to me.

Someone on HeadFi was talking about EQing all of his files, so that the EQ was in them when it came time to playback.  I'm not that into spending weeks doing that, but it might be a better way to go, as that way you are not constantly trying to find the right sound using the device EQ.  But, again, what is "right?"  It is probably different for all of us.  Maybe we should be using the word "pleasing."  

I have no idea what the artist wanted, if s/he got "screwed" by the record company or whatever.  I just listen and (hopefully) enjoy the music.  Please don't take it that I am either pro or con when it comes to EQing.  I just don't use it on my walk-around DAPs.  

However, I really don't like broccoli.  

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #5,055 of 6,668
Can you EQ broccoli to make it taste like cabbage?
I don't use the EQ very much, if at all with headphones as most of my gear has been chosen to be neutral. I can see that it would make sense to set EQ presets for each headphone pairing, but I am happy not too.
When it comes to a car or a room, EQ is a must and the automatic computer controlled type is best. It would be impossible for me to set up my surround system manually. With headphones, they are the only variable.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back