Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #4,921 of 6,668
Are you sure that the dx90 has balanced output? To my knowledge it only has coax out (and all 3 sockets are 3.5mm). I've owned a dx50 before and I know the only physical difference between the 2 are the DAC numbers. But please correct me if i'm wrong.

I always use my 100ii balanced, together with linum cable. Before the linum, I was using it SE with a plussound silver+gold and copper hybrid cable. I would say the imaging, soundstage has improved. To me I always wanted to go balanced and my answer to your question is yes, it's worth it! But YMMV, plus it's already a feature with the 100ii, why not use it? :)

Thanks for the input, guys. Anyway my mistake, I was referring to the AK100ii here :/ @karloil I did think of getting a balanced cable for the AK100ii since it already comes with the 2.5mm balanced out, but I just wasn't sure if it would be worth the money. Regarding the 2.5mm jack, @Bopper29 mentioned worse durability compared to the regular 3.5mm jack. Is this true for most balanced users here?

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4,922 of 6,668
  Interesting Dopaminer. I've not found much - if any - difference balanced with 100ii. BUT - my main issue is the size of the socket appears too small and doesn't provide constant connection! So bearing in mind little difference in sound and cut-out issues - I've gone back to the single-ended output which stays snug and secure.

Anyone who has cut-out issues with a 2.5TRRS plug and the AK can (probably) fix it with these insulators: 

These are specifically for 2.5mm balanced plugs but really, any small, very thin washer-like piece will work.  The recable shop here that does a ton of 2.5TRRS reterminating of stock cable uses these insulators all the time. . .   I guess the tolerances are very high in a 2.5TRRS connector and mis-alignment is common. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #4,923 of 6,668
Thanks for the input, guys. Anyway my mistake, I was referring to the AK100ii here :/ @karloil I did think of getting a balanced cable for the AK100ii since it already comes with the 2.5mm balanced out, but I just wasn't sure if it would be worth the money. Regarding the 2.5mm jack, @Bopper29 mentioned worse durability compared to the regular 3.5mm jack. Is this true for most balanced users here?

To me it's worth it. You also reside in SG right? Why not audition it? Jaben can help you out here, they have demo spiral strand balanced cables and you can do your comparison with a normal SE spiral strand cable

As for the 2.5mm jack, I normally don't unplug/plug it that much (as compared when I was using SE) so i'm really not concerned about this

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4,924 of 6,668

I would also say balance is worth it. Even on the lowly AK100ii

I dimissed the balanced output after trying it with the Layla a few times, but now my opinion has changed. I think it sounds better enough that it's worth the trouble ot get a 2.5mm balanced cable for whatever it is you are using.

I have no idea why I had such a negative initial impression of the balanced sound, and then such a opposite positive opinion now. I think either my replacement Layla (new cable?) works better or AK firmware update. Anyway, now I totally see the point of having this. A lot of details are smeared and squeezed together on the 3.5mm out. With balanced they're nicely seperated/layered and easy to discern. There is an added 3D/holographic effect and a bit more transparency/clarity and extension on both ends too. Like more bass and treble/air extension. Pretty amazing that I haven't been using the balanced out all these months.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #4,925 of 6,668
  Having owned the AK100ii and 120ii at the same time I had a chance to listen to both A/Bing. In the end, I sold the 100ii only because I had both and the 120ii had more storage. Sound wise it is difficult to tell a difference, I am sure some can but I am not that good. I did notice that on long listening sessions there was something that made the 100ii more easy to listen to. If you can find a good deal on a used 120ii get it, but I think you would probably be equally as pleased with the 100ii.

This is precisely why I did the opposite and kept the AK100ii and let go of the AK120ii. I found the AK100ii to be subtly but consistently much more enjoyable to listen to for anything more that a few minutes. By itself the 120ii was great, but when compared to the 100ii I could not believe how much more I enjoyed listening to the cheaper brother.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4,926 of 6,668
This is precisely why I did the opposite and kept the AK100ii and let go of the AK120ii. I found the AK100ii to be subtly but consistently much more enjoyable to listen to for anything more that a few minutes. By itself the 120ii was great, but when compared to the 100ii I could not believe how much more I enjoyed listening to the cheaper brother.
so instead of spending money on an used 120ii, will it be better to get the 100ii and then use the rest towards the JH Angie??

I was thinking that the dual dac would be much better for balanced and would have a little more oomph in the output! Plus would be a little future proof!

Am I wrong in thinking that??

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #4,927 of 6,668
I didn't use the spacers at first, and had no issues.  Then I used the spacers, and had no issues.  I also used my AK120ll with my UERM and the UE 2.5 balanced cable (without a spacer) and had no problems (for months).  And I unplug after use.  

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #4,930 of 6,668
I read somewhere it takes max 4hrs on 2amp but Capacity of 3,250 mAh 3.7V should take less than 4hrs using iphone charger.if u r using 500mA charger then ard 8hrs is quite normal.

I read somewhere that we should recharge the battery from fully discharged once a month to fully charge to prolong the life of the battery.That's why I wait to charge until the battery is fully discharged.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #4,931 of 6,668
I read somewhere that we should recharge the battery from fully discharged once a month to fully charge to prolong the life of the battery.That's why I wait to charge until the battery is fully discharged.

Yeah it's from Lifehacker. Keep it at 40-80% most of the time, with one full discharge monthly.

Now I feel bad for my AK battery lol.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #4,932 of 6,668
Okay so I'm back with the Single-ended 3.5mm with the Layla + AK100ii

I think the balanced offers more details (slightly?), but at the same time also sounds harsher and the AK100ii loses that liquid smoothness that is so non-fatiguing and engaging/joyful at the same time.

The bass on the 2.5mm is more textured but at the same time is more sloppy and bleeding. On balanced everything sounds super hi-fi, brighter and thinner and seperated, without the meatier focus or smoothness it has in single-ended. I realized all the details are there just in a smoother/liquid way that is more focused and not as spread out and thin.

3.5mm has this focus and grunt that I missed a lot. I've tried balanced half-dozen times now and this time it almost had me, but I'm back to single-ended and will be indefinitely I think.

This personal opinion applies only to the AK100ii and Layla. It might be a different story with a different AK models or different IEMs.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,933 of 6,668

I think the balanced offers more details (slightly?), but at the same time also sounds harsher and the AK100ii loses that liquid smoothness that is so non-fatiguing and engaging/joyful at the same time.

The bass on the 2.5mm is more textured but at the same time is more sloppy and bleeding. On balanced everything sounds super hi-fi, brighter and thinner and seperated, without the meatier focus or smoothness it has in single-ended. I realized all the details are there just in a smoother/liquid way that is more focused and not as spread out and thin.

3.5mm has this focus and grunt that I missed a lot. I've tried balanced half-dozen times now and this time it almost had me, but I'm back to single-ended and will be indefinitely I think.

This personal opinion applies only to the AK100ii and Layla. It might be a different story with a different AK models or different IEMs.
It's just my guessing,your Layla is too transparent that it amplified the good and bad of the source.I not saying 110ii is bad but Layla should pair with at least 120ii dual dac for balanced.HiRes audio must offer more details,not harsh but also not laidback which I believe Layla is capable of with 12 drivers.
You already know it's time to upgrade,pls do some justice to your Layla(USD2400).I'm only using Angie/120ii and confirmed SE < Balanced.Oppo PM2 also benefits using balanced.I will order the silver dragon balanced for Angie once it's available.
I'm jealous of you,cos I don't own the Layla.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,934 of 6,668

I cosign that 100%. Ive had the same experience with my K10s and my AK100ii. Single-ended it sounds unique and absolutely perfect. Balanced it sounds just like my ak120ii, which is to say, more hi-fi and less enjoyable.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #4,935 of 6,668
It's just my guessing,your Layla is too transparent that it amplified the good and bad of the source.I not saying 110ii is bad but Layla should pair with at least 120ii dual dac for balanced.HiRes audio must offer more details,not harsh but also not laidback which I believe Layla is capable of with 12 drivers.
You already know it's time to upgrade,pls do some justice to your Layla(USD2400).I'm only using Angie/120ii and confirmed SE < Balanced.Oppo PM2 also benefits using balanced.I will order the silver dragon balanced for Angie once it's available.
I'm jealous of you,cos I don't own the Layla.

Nah, it's a matter of taste not quality. I've owned the 100ii, 120ii, 240, and borrowed the 380 and Hugo for extensive periods. With my K10s, the 100ii single-ended presents exactly the smooth sound described by M-13 and trumps any other combination of source and termination in this regard. The others provide a little more detail but come at the lose of smoothness. If you prefer smoothness, get a 100ii and run it single-ended and be happy that you are getting the smoothest sound short of tubes. If you prefer detail over smoothness, go for something else. As the oracle would say, "Know Thyself."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back