Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 17, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4,861 of 6,668
I too see this every now and again. It's quite random. I can go a full week, using it heavily each day, and have no issues. Then one day it will do it 3 or 4 times. It's the kind of problem that isn't a big deal right now, but could become a king-hell nightmare if it got worse.

This is with playing all FLAC files. It's not connected to a PC or a power outlet. It's not being handled at the time. Just playing through an album.

I have not noticed whether it happens on internal storage, or microSD, or both. My bad. I shall pay more attention next time.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,862 of 6,668

As soon as you posted this, my 120ii started doing the same thing.  Very rarely, and seemingly randomly.  If I back up over the part that it blacked out, it plays it just fine the second time.  I can use it for hours without problem, then it will do it 4 or 5 times in a row, within a minute or two.  Restarting (seems) to help.  

Did you get any information about it ? 

Where I live the distributor which handles repairs within warranty is far from me and only opens on Monday - Friday, so unless I'm on leave I can't go there to let them take a look (since they need to look at the official receipt as proof of purchase). Like PinkyPowers said it hasn't happened so frequently to a point that it's nightmarish and impossible to ignore, so I'll have to live with it until I have time to pay the distributor a visit. I have just experienced the shortage for 2 seconds just minutes ago, it hasn't occurred in the past few days, so I maintain that it's completely random. Since my first post I have had it happen to me during playback of compressed, lossless and hi-res files, both in Internal Memory and on SD card, so at this point I don't think it's partition or file type related. Hope to hear more from others who can shed a bit more light onto the matter. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #4,863 of 6,668
My AK100ii does this as well. It will randomly stop for 1-2 seconds and resume. If I rewind and replay the same section, it will be fine. It only happens once in a while though, like every couple days if I use it daily. It's annoying when it happens, given it's supposed to be a high-end product, but not enough for me to be concerned.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #4,864 of 6,668
This seems like the sort of problem that can be fixed in the firmware. I don't think it's a hardware failure. Maybe we'll see a patch someday. :xf_eek:

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #4,865 of 6,668
My AK100ii does this as well. It will randomly stop for 1-2 seconds and resume. If I rewind and replay the same section, it will be fine. It only happens once in a while though, like every couple days if I use it daily. It's annoying when it happens, given it's supposed to be a high-end product, but not enough for me to be concerned.

My AK120II will stop for 15-20 seconds at the end of a song. it happens not too frequently.
I didn't care to bother.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #4,866 of 6,668
This seems like the sort of problem that can be fixed in the firmware. I don't think it's a hardware failure. Maybe we'll see a patch someday. :xf_eek:

Why do you think this is firmware related? Did it not happen at all with previous firmware versions?

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,867 of 6,668
I have had the same 1-2 second pause thing happen. It appears after a restart it is good.  I am not sure why but it doesn't really bother me. The first time it happened I thought it was a bad FLAC.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,868 of 6,668
  I have had the same 1-2 second pause thing happen. It appears after a restart it is good.  I am not sure why but it doesn't really bother me. The first time it happened I thought it was a bad FLAC.

This pausing thing is a known issue. It might help to reformat your SD card; it might help to move as much music as possible from the SD card to internal storage; it might help to not have an SD card at all; it might help to rub a rabbit's foot all over it.

The above suggestions might work, read further back in the thread and you'll see. But the most important thing to do is call Astell & Kern directly and complain: (949) 336-4540. I wouldn't email because sometimes their email stops working and they won't reply to anything for weeks. Call until you get someone, and follow up with an email. Be nice though, they're good people and do try to be helpful.

I don't think the AK240 or AK380 have this issue, but it does affects some AK100ii/AK120ii units. I had it on the AK100ii, then also on the AK120ii. I upgraded to the AK380 and it doesn't happen at all, but I have all my music on internal storage.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,874 of 6,668
  Yeah it sucks. It happened a bunch of times the first hour I had the AK120ii, then again several hours later, then... never again. So it might go away... or then there's that rabbit foot...

This is bad news. When did you have the AK120ii? So does this eliminate the possibility that this pausing thing is just due to the latest firmware 1.25, since it has been a known issue way before. Was there any solutions back then 

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #4,875 of 6,668
No problem like this at all on my 120ll.  Have you tried switching Gapless off/on and seeing if that helped?  I have a 128 card in mine and there are no issues with either it or the internal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back