Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 12, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,396 of 6,668
Having ripped thousands of CDs to FLAC files using both EAC and dbPoweramp Reference I strongly suggest you consider dbPoweramp. It tags properly, provides artwork, does Replay Gain and Accurate Rip and can be set to do many things more easily than EAC. Oh my. I doubted this at first as all the Internet hype that is out there for EAC. I was a fool. Anyway...

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #1,397 of 6,668
Having ripped thousands of CDs to FLAC files using both EAC and dbPoweramp Reference I strongly suggest you consider dbPoweramp. It tags properly, provides artwork, does Replay Gain and Accurate Rip and can be set to do many things more easily than EAC. Oh my. I doubted this at first as all the Internet hype that is out there for EAC. I was a fool. Anyway...

Thank you, I shall have a good look at it - I've heard of it, but never used it before.  

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,398 of 6,668
Just checking dbpoweramp's homepage purchase section:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/purchase.htm

it seems that dbpoweramp does the ripping etc, but album art etc is done via powertunes (a separate program).  Or, am I misreading things?

edit: just noticed this page http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm mentions album art...

Dave

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,399 of 6,668
Just checking dbpoweramp's homepage purchase section:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/purchase.htm

it seems that dbpoweramp does the ripping etc, but album art etc is done via powertunes (a separate program).  Or, am I misreading things?

edit: just noticed this page http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm mentions album art...

Dave

Sigh, oh those marketing people! dBpoweramp does the artwork when you are ripping, it does it just fine. It normally finds exactly what you need automagically. And then it gives you an easy option to find other options. Powertunes is a NEW program that I have played around with that does a fine job of fixing up all the stuff that didn't get done right before you started ripping correctly. I have not looked at the recent ad copy or website blah blah blah so I don't know what you saw.

My thoughts:
dbPoweramp Reference is the tool I use. I had it look at my computer/dvd/cd drive and make the appropriate adjustments for my system. I did some test rips and it said I was all set. I added ReplayGain processing to my setup and fine tuned the options for tagging. When you put a CD in the drive it quickly does a read and search and you can accept the meta data it finds or chose from four sources tweaking as you see fit easily. (you have a button to change artwork and another to change metadata)
When I am done ripping I could be done. I'm a little more anal about things so I use something called Musicbrainz and then a program called TagandRename to make final adjustments. But I'm zany that way and hopefully you won't go so crazy.

Powertunes? Na, if you are about to start ripping you don't need that. If you have a mess of files already, some with art, some without you may find it helpful.

One last thing, rip to an internal drive, and then backup your work to at least one external drive and keep that drive OFF unless you are adding files to it. I have a cabin in the north woods where I bring that drive and put all the data on yet another computer so if one place burns down I don't lose all that hard earned data. Backup Backup Backup. And in case I forget to mention it BACK UP.

I think they offer a free full featured trial for 30 days, I may be mistaken. If you give it ashot feel free to send me a PM if you have questions or concerns.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,400 of 6,668
Sigh, oh those marketing people! dBpoweramp does the artwork when you are ripping, it does it just fine. It normally finds exactly what you need automagically. And then it gives you an easy option to find other options. Powertunes is a NEW program that I have played around with that does a fine job of fixing up all the stuff that didn't get done right before you started ripping correctly. I have not looked at the recent ad copy or website blah blah blah so I don't know what you saw.

My thoughts:
dbPoweramp Reference is the tool I use. I had it look at my computer/dvd/cd drive and make the appropriate adjustments for my system. I did some test rips and it said I was all set. I added ReplayGain processing to my setup and fine tuned the options for tagging. When you put a CD in the drive it quickly does a read and search and you can accept the meta data it finds or chose from four sources tweaking as you see fit easily. (you have a button to change artwork and another to change metadata)
When I am done ripping I could be done. I'm a little more anal about things so I use something called Musicbrainz and then a program called TagandRename to make final adjustments. But I'm zany that way and hopefully you won't go so crazy.

Powertunes? Na, if you are about to start ripping you don't need that. If you have a mess of files already, some with art, some without you may find it helpful.

One last thing, rip to an internal drive, and then backup your work to at least one external drive and keep that drive OFF unless you are adding files to it. I have a cabin in the north woods where I bring that drive and put all the data on yet another computer so if one place burns down I don't lose all that hard earned data. Backup Backup Backup. And in case I forget to mention it BACK UP.

I think they offer a free full featured trial for 30 days, I may be mistaken. If you give it ashot feel free to send me a PM if you have questions or concerns.

Well, I lashed out on the Family Pack for dbpoweramp reference & powertunes just before your post.  Software updates for life, it looks like a good bargain.  

I just had a quick look at MusicBrainz - I presume I just download the database (or point software to a proxy URL that gets remotely searched for matches)?  I probably don't need this.  But, it's a good option to remember.  

I had a look at TagandRename - looks similar to mp3tag, what's the advantages of using it over mp3tag I wonder?

Cheers,

Dave

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,401 of 6,668
Musicbrainz is a website not unlike Discogs. Both try to identify and track various versions of releases. (i.e. first additions, reissues, CD, LP, Digital etc) Musicbrainz makes a tagger program that I use to "properly tag" my ripped files. It offers additional info and Musicbrainz only fields that I have put some value in. Now the angry and difficult folks I encounter at Discogs try to do the same thing but they look down their nose at Musicbrainz. Sigh. I look at both.

Tag and Rename is, as you say similar to other taggers. If I tried Mp3tag I can't recall. I try others from time to time but I prefer TagandRename. It could just be personal preference. I also use a program called Catraxx to catalog my collection. It grabs data from Discogs so cataloging my music is fairly easy. As a bonus it allows me to easily make a webpage of my collection that I can reference anywhere I have net access. This comes in handy at record stores when I am wondering if I already own something. The problem is I have taken to scanning all my CD art (at 600 dpi), covers, back covers, CD front and back, way too much stuff so that my web page is even more useful. My family thinks I am insane but really I'm just retired and I like to listen to music while cataloging music I listen to. The end result of this perversion can be seen here:

http://weirdenergy.com/cdlist/

Older entries may not have much in the way of art, newer entries and favorite bands have a lot of art. Artists named A-E and W-Z are pretty well complete. It's madness but I like it.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,402 of 6,668
Well, I lashed out on the Family Pack for dbpoweramp reference & powertunes just before your post.  Software updates for life, it looks like a good bargain.  

I just had a quick look at MusicBrainz - I presume I just download the database (or point software to a proxy URL that gets remotely searched for matches)?  I probably don't need this.  But, it's a good option to remember.  

I had a look at TagandRename - looks similar to mp3tag, what's the advantages of using it over mp3tag I wonder?

Cheers,

Dave

Tag&rename supports aiff & wav files whereas mp3tag doesn't, last time I used it. I download wav files & prefer to tag them using tag&rename then use dbpoweramp to convert them to aiff, flac, alac, etc. while retaining the tags, album art, etc.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,403 of 6,668
Tag&rename supports aiff & wav files whereas mp3tag doesn't, last time I used it. I download wav files & prefer to tag them using tag&rename then use dbpoweramp to convert them to aiff, flac, alac, etc. while retaining the tags, album art, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the difference to me.  Tag&rename it is then.  might wait till pay day before buying it though.

Musicbrainz is a website not unlike Discogs. Both try to identify and track various versions of releases. (i.e. first additions, reissues, CD, LP, Digital etc) Musicbrainz makes a tagger program that I use to "properly tag" my ripped files. It offers additional info and Musicbrainz only fields that I have put some value in. Now the angry and difficult folks I encounter at Discogs try to do the same thing but they look down their nose at Musicbrainz. Sigh. I look at both.

Tag and Rename is, as you say similar to other taggers. If I tried Mp3tag I can't recall. I try others from time to time but I prefer TagandRename. It could just be personal preference. I also use a program called Catraxx to catalog my collection. It grabs data from Discogs so cataloging my music is fairly easy. As a bonus it allows me to easily make a webpage of my collection that I can reference anywhere I have net access. This comes in handy at record stores when I am wondering if I already own something. The problem is I have taken to scanning all my CD art (at 600 dpi), covers, back covers, CD front and back, way too much stuff so that my web page is even more useful. My family thinks I am insane but really I'm just retired and I like to listen to music while cataloging music I listen to. The end result of this perversion can be seen here:

http://weirdenergy.com/cdlist/

Older entries may not have much in the way of art, newer entries and favorite bands have a lot of art. Artists named A-E and W-Z are pretty well complete. It's madness but I like it.

Ahh, I read that you could d/l the database with musicbrainz, so I was wondering if a 3rd party program was querying said database etc.  Of course, online is good too (as you said, like discogs).  I presume both are similar to cddb?

Oh, I've done some scanning for my Taylor Swift CD collection (various editions from around the world, USDJ promos and demo CDs from before she became famous) - that was enough to sate my scanning desires lol!!!

I had a look at your website, crikey, you have a massive collection!  I'm not sure how many CDs I have, at least 300 I'd say, probably more (I've never tried to count my CDs).  I have a few items that have been downloaded (via iTunes), but that's usually only when I can't get the same CD locally.  

Speaking of ripping, how can I rip the CD layer of my SACDs?  

Cheers,

Dave

PS sorry to have de-railed this thread with my myriad questions.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,405 of 6,668
Tag&rename has a 30 day trial period so you can try it out to compare with mp3tag. If mp3tag does what you need then use that cos it's free.

Good point!

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,407 of 6,668
  The DX90 is one sweet unit. Still pondering getting AK100II/AK120II but DX90 has amazing synergy with SE846 (with Dance EQ). If the AK units are indeed a little bass light, maybe not for me. DX50 was quite anaemic in general, DX90 is a whole different animal.

I wish you hadn`t said that : I also use se846 and, currently, dx50.  Been battling extreme upgrade-itis (to dx90). 

How`s the hiss from dx90 headphone out with the 846?   It`s noticeable/irritating sometimes from the dx50 . . . 

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,408 of 6,668

I wish you hadn`t said that : I also use se846 and, currently, dx50.  Been battling extreme upgrade-itis (to dx90). 

How`s the hiss from dx90 headphone out with the 846?   It`s noticeable/irritating sometimes from the dx50 . . . 

There's no irritating hiss with SE846, just silence. It's no contest, DX90>DX50.

For me, having enough bass = emotional involvement in songs. 3D layering where you can distinguish the subtle changes in depth of the sound also = more involvement. DX90 has both.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,409 of 6,668
  The DX90 is one sweet unit. Still pondering getting AK100II/AK120II but DX90 has amazing synergy with SE846 (with Dance EQ). If the AK units are indeed a little bass light, maybe not for me. DX50 was quite anaemic in general, DX90 is a whole different animal.

IMO the new ak units are not bass light.
I demo'd the ak100ii for about 2.5 hours with my ref 1, and one thing i certainly remember is that I was literally blown away by the bass impact.
In comparison to the way the lower end sounded on the original ak100, I was quite stunned.
I have had a similar experience with my ak240.

I can't comment on how the ak units behaves with other phones, but IMO with the ref 1 there is incredible bass impact.
It's not entirely like having a portable subwoofer, but I feel like it's the closest I can get. (I'm referring to the ref 1 + ak240 combo here, though i think using the ak100ii instead of the ak240 will still give you like 90-95% of the experience).

Just as a side note, I recently started using my ak240 balanced with the ref 1, and i feel like the bass quantity has decreased a tiny bit whereas the quality (texture, rumble, cleanliness) has increased a tiny bit
I'm a fan of the trade off personally, though it's quite minor anyways.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,410 of 6,668

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back