Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,053 of 6,668
Warren-if you didn't want to take the ak240 biking, to the gym, mowing the lawn, what would give you similar sound without worrying about the $2500 price?

Jim

You mean like a beater audiophile DAP?  Simply for the fact that it costs much less, I'd award the AK120II that role.  However, I would like to point out that the AK240 we tested and reviewed is one tough SOB.  It stood up to multiple drops, and I challenged anyone and everyone to find even so much as a mark on it.  They - including Amos - could not.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,054 of 6,668
That's really amazing. Is the build quality the same, as in durability of the Ak100ii or 120ii? I would like, if I did purchase another DAP, for it to be durable, I'd like to use it for the gym, for walking outside, etc. I am not fond of the look of the 240 but either ak100ii or ak120ii are both beautiful.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,055 of 6,668
That's really amazing. Is the build quality the same, as in durability of the Ak100ii or 120ii? I would like, if I did purchase another DAP, for it to be durable, I'd like to use it for the gym, for walking outside, etc. I am not fond of the look of the 240 but either ak100ii or ak120ii are both beautiful.

Based on the specifications, both the ak100ii and ak120ii are made of aluminum. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,056 of 6,668
You mean like a beater audiophile DAP?  Simply for the fact that it costs much less, I'd award the AK120II that role.  However, I would like to point out that the AK240 we tested and reviewed is one tough SOB.  It stood up to multiple drops, and I challenged anyone and everyone to find even so much as a mark on it.  They - including Amos - could not.

Yea, a beater DAP, I like that. I love my new ak240, but I would hate to have a $2500 mistake or accident. Not that $1700 one is ok but it is less. Thanks.

Jim

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,060 of 6,668
I received my balanced silver cable for my SE846 and AK100II. The connection to the left IEM clicked in without any problems and swivels smoothly. The right IEM connection required so much force to click in that I worried to break my SE846. Eventually, it connected, but there was no click. It's very tight when I turn it, so I think it's not fully entered. It can't be pushed any further.
The difference between the stock cable and the silver balanced cables to my ears is that the volume level of the balanced is lower. I will test more and share my experiences.

s0ny, pleased to hear more feedback after you've had a longer listen.

Given that i have also ordered Ted's silver balanced cables there should be 2 differences with the stock cable, i.e. new material (silver) and new output technology (balanced). I would be pretty disappointed if both in combination will not produce a noticeable positive change. Having said that, i am willing to accept that this might be the case.

Should get mine in 2 weeks in which case i will provide my layman review on the differences.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,062 of 6,668
Given that i have also ordered Ted's silver balanced cables there should be 2 differences with the stock cable, i.e. new material (silver) and new output technology (balanced). I would be pretty disappointed if both in combination will not produce a noticeable positive change. Having said that, i am willing to accept that this might be the case.

Should get mine in 2 weeks in which case i will provide my layman review on the differences.
Since I noticed that volume level 48 on the balanced output equals level 45 on the standard output, I increased the balanced volume level to 51. It did solve the problem. The music sounds just as good now, but the background seems to be totally black, which is what I want balanced for. Most of the time, when sound is heard, the black background isn't noticeable. When a song fades in or out, you'll hear how quiet the background is, even though the standard output is about the same. It may be a bit placebo since the unbalanced bable is so good that real noise is most probably coming from the recording and not from the hardware. The balanced silver sound seems to be a bit less sharp. It's impactful but smooth. If you like action-packed sound, the stock cable is better, but if you want a more controlled sound, silver seems to be better.

My ears are far from great and I'm not a sound technician so I can only provide feedback as a consumer. Others may disagree with their findings. One thing that is certainly not pkacebo is the difference in volume output. On level 51, I would become deaf on the stock cable, but level 48 is too low on the balanced output.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,063 of 6,668

At first, the familial resemblance in terms of signature is very obvious.  It actually took a little while to be able to consistently detect the differences.  Don't get me wrong, the AK120II is a very, very, very good player.  But every time I would switch to it from the AK240, I lost a little bit in terms of staging and coherency... which saddened me because the AK240 is effing pricey!

Only one of my test tracks was DSD, the others were all PCM.  I found the differences in sound to be fairly consistent, regardless of file format.  Strange eh? 
smile.gif

I stand by that.  For many, many, many Head-Fiers, the AK240's level of performance will be all they ever need.  The only exception to that are people with hard-to-drive cans, in which case I suggest a nice neutral amp for more headroom.

I suddenly remember the conversation we had abt AK240 when we were on smoke break so I removed the final nail in my wallet's coffin promptly and stuck it on my piggy bank for the AK240 today- the ultimate kill. I should have the AK240 by tommorrow and will do a shoot out AK100ii vs the ultimate fat boy AK240. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,064 of 6,668
I suddenly remember the conversation we had abt AK240 when we were on smoke break so I removed the final nail in my wallet's coffin promptly and stuck it on my piggy bank for the AK240 today- the ultimate kill. I should have the AK240 by tommorrow and will do a shoot out AK100ii vs the ultimate fat boy AK240. 

Very interested in this, really want a good dap for everyday use that wont make me cry if something happens. Could justify $900 for everyday, $1700 for the 120ii is very steep since I already have the 240.

Jim

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,065 of 6,668
My biggest problem right now is trying to figure whether to buy a new DAP, either the AK240 or AK120 II , and utilize my existing IEM's: the Westone W4 and/ or UM3x, or get an new top-of-line pair of IEM's (jhAudio Roxanne universals or Westone W 60) and get a new DAP down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back