Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,082 of 6,668

I have different answers here. Again, I will connect the AK100 II to a BH Crack to a HD 650. 

You can connect the AK100 II to the Bottlehead amp by the regular headphone out/line out. if you want to bypass the amp section in the AK100 II (send out digital signal via optical out), the Bottlehead cannot accept a digital signal at all. There would need to be a DAC to accept the optical out from the AK100 and convert it to analog. Then you connect the analog output from the DAC to the Bottlehead.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,083 of 6,668
  You can connect the AK100 II to the Bottlehead amp by the regular headphone out/line out. if you want to bypass the amp section in the AK100 II (send out digital signal via optical out), the Bottlehead cannot accept a digital signal at all. There would need to be a DAC to accept the optical out from the AK100 and convert it to analog. Then you connect the analog output from the DAC to the Bottlehead.

Thanks for this info. The wireless streaming of the AK100 is just too good. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,084 of 6,668
Ak100ii vs AK240 mini shootout

Both Ak100ii and AK240 are very well built, they are pretty hefty and both weigh about the same. The Ak100ii has better ergonomics as I can wrap my whole hand around it with a thumb reaching the back button easily. The AK240 is wider thus making it more a stretch to do the same thing. Both have a very good luxury feel to it, the ak100ii feels much more than $899 for sure. This kind of premium feel is usually found in the $1000 and above range. Overall I prefer the AK100ii simple and easy to use design, but since I am paying $2500, I welcome the over built and over design of the AK240 with weird perspective and sharp edges, holding it remind me that this is the most expensive DAP on the planet. Love both of them. No winner here.

As for sound quality, I have been having a hard time with this as they both sound so similar. Yes, I know they are wired differently with single dac vs dual dac and diff amps and differences should therefore be obvious like day and night, black and white and heaven and hell. .. Unfortunately or fortunately this is not so.

A little bit about my hearing capability -  I can tell cable differences easily, 128kbps and lossless (some of the time) and just got a perfect hearing test done back in April this year but still, I find it difficult to tell them apart. After much listening and testing many tracks and letting my brain rest in between break, I can finally tell them apart. There are a few differences here, the most obvious of all is the sound stage. The Ak240 has a better depth, layering and slightly wider sound stage. Overall, I can feel that the AK240 has a better sound dimensionally like more out of head than Ak100ii. The AK240 tone is slightly smoother and slightly richer overall while Ak100ii is slightly more intimate and treble a little sharper on some notes and they both extend on each end of spectrum equally, just the tonality on Ak240 is more refine. The bass is about a quarter of a hair more on Ak100ii.The AK240 has a better sense of decay. All testing done on lossless and DSD files.  

Now the above seems like a whole lot of differences but let’s put in some perspective here. The differences are smaller than cable changes. It’s very subtle and take tears to tell them apart. I suspect most people will fail in a blind test and telling them apart in Starbucks, groceries stores or even in a car is even harder and almost impossible if not totally impossible. To be honest, I would not even care about the differences and would easily not know the differences if I am not comparing. But this is HEAD-FI!! Everything has to be microscope, a hair diff is  a deal breaker sort of thing..(Notice I use a quarter of a hair diff on bass to emphasis this is not a deal breaker for me J)

I think for people on budget, it’s a no brainer to grab the Ak100ii for $899 and get the same functionality as AK240 (wireless streaming, lovely touch screen interface et al). I would further say that the Ak100ii sound way better than Sony ZX1 and for $100 more, we get much more details, resolutions & storage capacity.- IMO (in my opinion base on memory). The AK100ii is also a good backup for people who is afraid of damaging it in gym or doing sports as I am certain the differences in SQ is impossible to perceive in those activities.

Some pictures of both DAP.. enjoy!

I am going to keep the Ak240 despite the crazy price differences & subtle difference in SQ. The AK240 storage capacity (256gb + 128GB) is simply too good to be true, the weird  optical illusion design that puzzle most people and the duralumin material is simply out of this world. I just love it!!

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,085 of 6,668

Awesome review, darn you! I was trying to ignore the AK100 II, but now I want one. I think I will sell my DX90 to get me half way there so I don't feel so bad, anyone want it? I could sell my X5 to get me the rest of the way there, but it pairs too well with my NT6pro to let it go. See, you got my wallet spinning again. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,086 of 6,668
Awesome review. Thank you for sharing. The AK100ii, can you share more of the differences between that and zx1? I love my zx1, but it is too weak, that's my biggest gripe. For IEMS, do you feel Ak100ii is strong enough without an external amp? How is the volume compared to zx1? Also, would. you say the bass is better on the AK?
Here is where I am. ZX1 I only use with my intruder, great sound, pretty happy. X3 use for gym and work. I'm adding Rwak120b to hopefully replace my zx1,wondering if the AK100ii would be a drastic improvement over X3 or zx1 by itself.
Whatever you can share it'd be appreciated.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,087 of 6,668

To be honest, I would not even care about the differences and would easily not know the differences if I am not comparing. But this is HEAD-FI!!

Yup! 
smile.gif

I am going to keep the Ak240 despite the crazy price differences & subtle difference in SQ.

biggrin.gif
  LOLOL!  Now why did I know that would happen? 
wink.gif
  Once you do hear the difference, you'll always hear the difference... and it gnaws at your brain!

Word of advice to anyone that has the AK100II or AK120II... DO NOT AUDITION up the line.  You'll be sorry. 
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,089 of 6,668

Both Ak100ii and AK240 are very well built, they are pretty hefty and both weigh about the same. The Ak100ii has better ergonomics as I can wrap my whole hand around it with a thumb reaching the back button easily. The AK240 is wider thus making it more a stretch to do the same thing. Both have a very good luxury feel to it, the ak100ii feels much more than $899 for sure. This kind of premium feel is usually found in the $1000 and above range. Overall I prefer the AK100ii simple and easy to use design, but since I am paying $2500, I welcome the over built and over design of the AK240 with weird perspective and sharp edges, holding it remind me that this is the most expensive DAP on the planet. Love both of them. No winner here.

As for sound quality, I have been having a hard time with this as they both sound so similar. Yes, I know they are wired differently with single dac vs dual dac and diff amps and differences should therefore be obvious like day and night, black and white and heaven and hell. .. Unfortunately or fortunately this is not so.

A little bit about my hearing capability -  I can tell cable differences easily, 128kbps and lossless (some of the time) and just got a perfect hearing test done back in April this year but still, I find it difficult to tell them apart. After much listening and testing many tracks and letting my brain rest in between break, I can finally tell them apart. There are a few differences here, the most obvious of all is the sound stage. The Ak240 has a better depth, layering and slightly wider sound stage. Overall, I can feel that the AK240 has a better sound dimensionally like more out of head than Ak100ii. The AK240 tone is slightly smoother and slightly richer overall while Ak100ii is slightly more intimate and treble a little sharper on some notes and they both extend on each end of spectrum equally, just the tonality on Ak240 is more refine. The bass is about a quarter of a hair more on Ak100ii.The AK240 has a better sense of decay. All testing done on lossless and DSD files.  

Now the above seems like a whole lot of differences but let’s put in some perspective here. The differences are smaller than cable changes. It’s very subtle and take tears to tell them apart. I suspect most people will fail in a blind test and telling them apart in Starbucks, groceries stores or even in a car is even harder and almost impossible if not totally impossible. To be honest, I would not even care about the differences and would easily not know the differences if I am not comparing. But this is HEAD-FI!! Everything has to be microscope, a hair diff is  a deal breaker sort of thing..(Notice I use a quarter of a hair diff on bass to emphasis this is not a deal breaker for me J)

I think for people on budget, it’s a no brainer to grab the Ak100ii for $899 and get the same functionality as AK240 (wireless streaming, lovely touch screen interface et al). I would further say that the Ak100ii sound way better than Sony ZX1 and for $100 more, we get much more details, resolutions & storage capacity.- IMO (in my opinion base on memory). The AK100ii is also a good backup for people who is afraid of damaging it in gym or doing sports as I am certain the differences in SQ is impossible to perceive in those activities.

I am going to keep the Ak240 despite the crazy price differences & subtle difference in SQ. The AK240 storage capacity (256gb + 128GB) is simply too good to be true, the weird  optical illusion design that puzzle most people and the duralumin material is simply out of this world. I just love it!!

What were you using to test them? It's usually hard to tell the difference with IEMs and portable cans at this level, however just like the older models of AK100MK2 and AK120, the difference is easier to distinguish when using full sized cans or hooked up to home speakers.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,090 of 6,668
  Awesome review, darn you! I was trying to ignore the AK100 II, but now I want one. I think I will sell my DX90 to get me half way there so I don't feel so bad, anyone want it? I could sell my X5 to get me the rest of the way there, but it pairs too well with my NT6pro to let it go. See, you got my wallet spinning again. 
wink_face.gif

Haha.. your wallet's gonna need some aspirin. My wallet is already  lying motionless flat on the beach. Piggy bank sustained critical head injury. It will take a long time to recover.. but they will be back..

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,093 of 6,668
Awesome review. Thank you for sharing. The AK100ii, can you share more of the differences between that and zx1? I love my zx1, but it is too weak, that's my biggest gripe. For IEMS, do you feel Ak100ii is strong enough without an external amp? How is the volume compared to zx1? Also, would. you say the bass is better on the AK?
Here is where I am. ZX1 I only use with my intruder, great sound, pretty happy. X3 use for gym and work. I'm adding Rwak120b to hopefully replace my zx1,wondering if the AK100ii would be a drastic improvement over X3 or zx1 by itself.
Whatever you can share it'd be appreciated.

I don't have the ZX1 now, my comments was based on memory. The main differences is the AK100ii detail and resolution is way better than zx1. The dynamic range and attack is way greater. Sound stage left and right is on par, but Ak100ii seems to get music much more out of the head maybe due to excellent layering and depth than zx1. Instrument separation is way better on ak100ii. Sub bass is stronger on and treble extend slightly better on ak100ii. The AK100ii has a blacker background complete silent while zx1 hiss once in a while (not sure why). This is with SE846 but may varies depending on your headphones. If you could live without Andriod OS, with apps and streaming from spotify, go for the ak100ii.. much better SQ in my opinion. Note that the AK100ii and AK240 does not have a strong amplification as compared to dedicated portable amps like Centrance M8. It will not drive HE6 but is decent enough for most headphones like TH900 & even HD650. 

What were you using to test them? It's usually hard to tell the difference with IEMs and portable cans at this level, however just like the older models of AK100MK2 and AK120, the difference is easier to distinguish when using full sized cans or hooked up to home speakers.

SE 846 and you are right, its very hard to tell them apart. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,094 of 6,668

Great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back