Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #931 of 6,668
I did write my impressions with a long text but did get an server error after sending of course every word is gone (tapatalk on iOS), I will write it again the impression and conclusion if I get home. cu later

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #932 of 6,668
Sitting here in Zurich in the K55(.ch) store and testing iPhone 5A, AK100 II, AK120 II and AK240 with SE846 side by side....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Impressions please.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #933 of 6,668
  I am very much satisfied by the sound of my AK100 II but I am very very disappointed with the interface with my mac 
I'm used to Apple devices that do not lock ever and are very easy to use, this new DAP three times out of six is not read by my mac, even if I'm using the special application of android, the texts of the songs appear very badly written and not in order, selecting between the memory and the memory card AK100 (an expensive Sandisk 64 GB to 100 dollati) I have to reconnect ... so I knew that the OSX operating systems other than feel sorry for them but I was expecting something Astell & Kern more.

I have no problem connecting with my Macbook Pro with the Android App until upgrade to the latest firmware.  Haven't connected again recently though.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #934 of 6,668
Ok, another try. Honestly I was not really interested in the AK120 II, I had the Original AK100 together with an IE800 the perfect match to date for me. But I sell it both the quirky UI and the not right fitting IE800 where the reason.

I really want to hear how the Dual Mono DAC of the 120 II and 240 feels like. The 120 II is definitely a step forward from the 100 II but the big revelation was the AK240 - from the first seconds it was clear to me this is the perfect match for the SE846. Difficult to find words it just feel right - the 846 says to the 240 "you complete me... " :smirk:.

After two hours listening to the 120 and 240 back and forth I went back to the office knowing one of these two will be mine soon. The optics of the 120 is much better, gorgeous silver backplate nice dark blue leather case with alligator impressions. The optics of the 240 are nice also but not as much - depends on the personal taste.

... so I went back to the office thinking about them and trying to find a review 120 II vs. 240 and find one at headfonia. But let's be honest, the decision was already made. So I raid my account and did pick up the 240. Now I'm broke but happy.

Cheers

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #935 of 6,668
Ok, another try. Honestly I was not really interested in the AK120 II, I had the Original AK100 together with an IE800 the perfect match to date for me. But I sell it both the quirky UI and the not right fitting IE800 where the reason.

I really want to hear how the Dual Mono DAC of the 120 II and 240 feels like. The 120 II is definitely a step forward from the 100 II but the big revelation was the AK240 - from the first seconds it was clear to me this is the perfect match for the SE846. Difficult to find words it just feel right - the 846 says to the 240 "you complete me... " :smirk:.

After two hours listening to the 120 and 240 back and forth I went back to the office knowing one of these two will be mine soon. The optics of the 120 is much better, gorgeous silver backplate nice dark blue leather case with alligator impressions. The optics of the 240 are nice also but not as much - depends on the personal taste.

... so I went back to the office thinking about them and trying to find a review 120 II vs. 240 and find one at headfonia. But let's be honest, the decision was already made. So I raid my account and did pick up the 240. Now I'm broke but happy.

Cheers

Congratulations

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #936 of 6,668

Cheers

Sorry do you mean the 120II or 120 has a better optical out? :)

Thx~

Edit: ops, sorry for my bad understanding, it was optics and I read it as optical.... LOL

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #937 of 6,668

Cheers

Thanks for the short review.
I think the same will be happening with me coming sunday :wink:
And ofcourse congrats !!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #939 of 6,668
  Thanks for the reply, you're talking about the firmware update on your computer or 
  of AK100 II?

I mean firmware upgrade on my AK240, sorry for not mentioning earlier

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #940 of 6,668
Hey guys, I know this is a bit off topic... but since it relates to the comparison thing I did (and some of the discussion afterwards), I'll just leave it here for now.  I was talking to A&K at the San Francisco meet this past weekend, and learned that there aren't that many AK120 units left.  Like seriously, not a lot at all.  I'm not really at liberty to say how many (or how few rather), but let's just say that I am personally concerned about getting a second one in case my current one ever dies.  Just mentioning it, for those who have been on the fence, don't say I didn't warn ya. 
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #942 of 6,668
Do they just do one production run of them? They sell out and that's it?

I think there have certainly been multiple production runs by now.  But now that the new ones are out, and apparently selling well, I don't think they have plans to do another run of the older ones.  Typically, this shouldn't matter in a consumer device as most newer versions tend to be better.  But for anyone that likes the signature of the older ones (like myself) - or wants one for Red Wine/Mezzo mods - yeah it's kinda important.
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #944 of 6,668
  Hey guys, I know this is a bit off topic... but since it relates to the comparison thing I did (and some of the discussion afterwards), I'll just leave it here for now.  I was talking to A&K at the San Francisco meet this past weekend, and learned that there aren't that many AK120 units left.  Like seriously, not a lot at all.  I'm not really at liberty to say how many (or how few rather), but let's just say that I am personally concerned about getting a second one in case my current one ever dies.  Just mentioning it, for those who have been on the fence, don't say I didn't warn ya. 
smile.gif

Sooo much in love with 120?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back