Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #946 of 6,668
I  found the AK120 to pair quite poorly with the SE846. The sound seemed to be veiled and lacking in definition.

Really... I wrote off the se846 when I had a pre release demo last Jun and I was using it with the ak120.... maybe the ak120 is the culprit and I gave the 846 a raw deal!?

In any case while I like the ak120 over the ak100 I was really never a fan of its sound. But then some apparently love it's sig. To each his own....

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #947 of 6,668
  I  found the AK120 to pair quite poorly with the SE846. The sound seemed to be veiled and lacking in definition.

This might something to do with the BA based IEM with difficult to drive impedance. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #948 of 6,668

Do you recall what firmware was loaded on the ak120 when you tried it with the se846? Lee mentioned that certain firmware increases the clarity & soundstage of the ak120; I tend to agree with that after loading 1.11 with listrid 2.0.

From what I read the se846 already sounds slightly veiled compared to bright iems so paired with the ak120 running firmware with a warm signature probably would not be a good match.

Have you tried the different filters on the se846? Would be interested to hear how that sounds with the ak120.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #949 of 6,668
DUH. I thought for some reason you were taking about the new series. That makes perfect sense now

Lol, no worries mate. 
redface.gif

I was talking to A&K at the San Francisco meet this past weekend, and learned that there aren't that many AK120 units left.

Sooo much in love with 120?

Well, it has a pleasingly warm signature that some actually prefer to the AK240 (and its ilk). 

Quotes:

Originally Posted by kkcc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really... I wrote off the se846 when I had a pre release demo last Jun and I was using it with the ak120.... maybe the ak120 is the culprit and I gave the 846 a raw deal!?

In any case while I like the ak120 over the ak100 I was really never a fan of its sound. But then some apparently love it's sig. To each his own....

Originally Posted by flymetothemoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This might something to do with the BA based IEM with difficult to drive impedance.

Originally Posted by sonicaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I read the se846 already sounds slightly veiled compared to bright iems so paired with the ak120 running firmware with a warm signature probably would not be a good match.

I'm inclined to go with sonicaudio's rationale here.  The AK120 and 1p2 did not pair well, and I believe that is due to compounding two like signatures.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #950 of 6,668
The AK100II has a warm sound signature as well. I think the white filter of the SE846 sounds the best with the AK100II. The sub-bass is still deep and strong with the white filter and the amount of details, clarity and overall dynamics are so much improved that it's better to stick with white or choose blue. The details are too recessed with the black filter.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #951 of 6,668
The AK100II has a warm sound signature as well. I think the white filter of the SE846 sounds the best with the AK100II. The sub-bass is still deep and strong with the white filter and the amount of details, clarity and overall dynamics are so much improved that it's better to stick with white or choose blue. The details are too recessed with the black filter.
I also found the same: AK120 II pairs the best with SE846 white filters. Clarity and dynamics more pronounced. The bass sacrificed slightly but still solid enough.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #952 of 6,668
No luck with my AK240 unit. cracking noise within DSD64 and DSD128 playback. All other formats including DXD384 are fine. DAC is not working as also, distortion independent from the sample rate (tested on Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Mavericks). I'm now on the way to the dealer to exchange this unit (DoA). I hope I have more luck with the next one. Firmware is 1.15.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #953 of 6,668
After sometime out of the upgrade game, all this Astell & Kern mania has me itching again.

Looking at the AK 240 and AK 120 II. I have two pairs of Westone IEM's that I have no interest in upgrading from right now: a pair of Westone W4 and a pair of Westone UM3X.

I was just wondering if anyone knows/opines if Westone plays/sounds nice with the AK240 or AK120 II?

I know sound is often subjective, but I have heard some here say "…(insert IEM here) DOES NOT sound good with (insert Astell & Kern DAP here)…".

Any info, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated from all y'all. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #954 of 6,668
  After sometime out of the upgrade game, all this Astell & Kern mania has me itching again.

Looking at the AK 240 and AK 120 II. I have two pairs of Westone IEM's that I have no interest in upgrading from right now: a pair of Westone W4 and a pair of Westone UM3X.

I was just wondering if anyone knows/opines if Westone plays/sounds nice with the AK240 or AK120 II?

I know sound is often subjective, but I have heard some here say "…(insert IEM here) DOES NOT sound good with (insert Astell & Kern DAP here)…".

Any info, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated from all y'all. 

'm using the AK II 100 with my new westone W40 (which I can not disconnect a cable ...) but the sound is delicious ... I do not feel the need to use amp ... to start as I am very satisfied...

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #955 of 6,668

'm using the AK II 100 with my new westone W40 (which I can not disconnect a cable ...) but the sound is delicious ... I do not feel the need to use amp ... to start as I am very satisfied...

Congratulations

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #956 of 6,668

Thanks so much for that info! That looks like a great set-up, I am hoping to keep things simple, not really interested in an amp or cable upgrades, or balanced output (at least after the initial DAP investment!) Thanks!

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #957 of 6,668
I've got a large collection of music that I listened to more than a decade ago. I used to listen to it all day long on my older DAPs and midrange earbuds. For the first time, I use my AK100II and SE846 for that collection. Even though I know that music very well, the sound quality on the AK100II and SE846 is so much better that I have a hard time to recognize the music. It's a difference of night and day. The instrument separation and overall quality is just breathtaking. I can't believe how much quality I was missing at the time. It sounds like new music.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #958 of 6,668
I've got a large collection of music that I listened to more than a decade ago. I used to listen to it all day long on my older DAPs and midrange earbuds. For the first time, I use my AK100II and SE846 for that collection. Even though I know that music very well, the sound quality on the AK100II and SE846 is so much better that I have a hard time to recognize the music. It's a difference of night and day. The instrument separation and overall quality is just breathtaking. I can't believe how much quality I was missing at the time. It sounds like new music.

So, what's your old set up, can share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back