Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 14, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #647 of 6,668
Interesting review by a Japanese. Seems to tie up with Warren and Mercer's impression that AK120II is analytical type while AK240 is musical with all the clarity, details etc.
As described by the Japanese reviewer, AK120II is monitor studio reference type while AK240 is 'pure audio'.
(As per Google translate)

Anyone with a better grasp at Japanese please help translate to us
smily_headphones1.gif

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/20140609_651220.html

I just bought a AK120II.

I think we are all hearing similar things, but probably have different preferences and vocabulary to express the differences. Personally, I didn't really like the original AK120 as I felt it too warm and smooth, and the AK240 was a little relaxed sounding despite its good performance. The AK120II feels more balanced to my ear, or more 'neutral' in character which makes it work more for me since I listen to variety of genres.

Look-wise, it's also personal. The AK120II comes with a black "leather" casing, and looks pretty nice.. I prefer it than the AK240's looks + casing.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #648 of 6,668
Has anybody spent some time with the AK100II? Looking to read a few more impressions/reviews on that one as it's the only one remotely in my price range.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #649 of 6,668
I just bought a AK120II.

I think we are all hearing similar things, but probably have different preferences and vocabulary to express the differences. Personally, I didn't really like the original AK120 as I felt it too warm and smooth, and the AK240 was a little relaxed sounding despite its good performance. The AK120II feels more balanced to my ear, or more 'neutral' in character which makes it work more for me since I listen to variety of genres.

Look-wise, it's also personal. The AK120II comes with a black "leather" casing, and looks pretty nice.. I prefer it than the AK240's looks + casing.

The more conventional outlook design of the 120ll is more appealing to most.

Jun 14, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #650 of 6,668
Has anybody spent some time with the AK100II? Looking to read a few more impressions/reviews on that one as it's the only one remotely in my price range.

Search this thread there are detail reviews on 100ll, 120ll and 240

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #652 of 6,668

I've read the ones from the Audio360 guys, but they focus on the new iteration compared to the original, not in relation to daps from other manufacturers.
It'll probably take some time for more head-to-head comparisons and I can wait.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #654 of 6,668

Nope, the themes are different.  Same UI, different "wallpaper" so to speak.  Still, I would imagine they will - and have asked them to - expand the number of themes available (if not let us make our own).

Exactly what I needed to know:) Thanks! Just bit the bullet on a AK240...

Wow, congratulations! 
smile.gif
  You're in for a good time, as it sounds pretty amazeballs.

I just bought a AK120II.

Likewise, congratulations! 
smile.gif
  The AK120II is good player, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I just think the AK240 is better (IMO of course).

I've read the ones from the Audio360 guys, but they focus on the new iteration compared to the original, not in relation to daps from other manufacturers.
It'll probably take some time for more head-to-head comparisons and I can wait.

I believe Currawong is getting an AK100II soon, so you might want to check his DAP-off thread.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #655 of 6,668
  Likewise, congratulations! 
smile.gif
  The AK120II is good player, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I just think the AK240 is better (IMO of course).

I agree that the AK240 is better in hifi performance - this means things like soundstage, etc.

But that's like saying something is the best chocolate ice-cream in the world.. that may be true, but unfortunately I just prefer vanilla and would pick it over the best chocolate any day. :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #657 of 6,668
Happens with the AK100 Mk2 as well.  In other news... not at all confusing that there is an AK100 Mk2 and AK100II /facepalm

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #659 of 6,668
Spent a lot more time with AK120II. It's a very neutral DAP. In some ways it's far more polite than the Dx90, and it has good impact and stability at high volumes 40+.
Less airy than the DX90 and shorter decay of strings. Do find it lacking some definition in soundstage for complicated pieces with many instruments vs AK240.
Versatile for many types of music.
It has less emphasis on bass. mids and trebles are really well handled with clarity and without fatigue. Great job there! Mids are great with vocals sounding like they are right in the same room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back