Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Apr 28, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,961 of 6,668
Is there any talk of the AK wifi working with Pandora or any of the free music streaming services?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,962 of 6,668
  Is there any talk of the AK wifi working with Pandora or any of the free music streaming services?

I asked about this during AXPONA, they said they're trying to work with streaming services to integrate to the players but they haven't really solidified a deal. Tidal is probably the most obvious choice but they said negotiations have been very slow. Ugh I' totally forgot what companies he mentioned but he said Spotify is too low bitrate. :'(

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,963 of 6,668

Thanks for the link! I didn't notice this site earlier.

This case for the AK120 II looks really nice. Have you had any experience with this case?

They are in ths shops here - they`re just plastic i believe, despite saying `leather` in the Japanese description.  Does anyone remember this one I had for sale a while ago?  I didn`t realize how rare these things are - I should have charged more ! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3,964 of 6,668
They are in ths shops here - they`re just plastic i believe, despite saying `leather` in the Japanese description.  Does anyone remember this one I had for sale a while ago?  I didn`t realize how rare these things are - I should have charged more ! 

Oh yeah, I remember you posting about this case a while back. They do look nice, since I honestly dislike the croc-pattern on the existing ones.

Are they somewhat similar in texture and feel to the ones with the AK100 II? If so, I'm sold. The blue case looks fantastic!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,965 of 6,668
I've never heard a portable player match a decent desktop dac. Imo the best a portable player can do is compete with low end desktop, like ~$500 dac's, and even then I'd still give the overall SQ win to a good desktop dac. As soon as you hit $1000 desktop dac's there are so many options that will completely outclass any portable device.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you had this DAP you'd hear how wrong you are. The AKs with dual DACs are amazeballs. I spent an hour A/B testing against my $2K DAC (the antelope is slightly better thought the separation in the AK is better). And I can assure you it destroys something like a Schiit Bifrsot which is a very popular $500 DAC that I previously owned.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3,966 of 6,668
Do you guys bother with the case?  I'm debating whether I should keep it on since there are front and back protectors and the aluminum seems to be of good quality.

Can't decide. It's a sweet case... As far as cases go. My MacBooks never had protection on them, and outside of a screen protector neither do my iPads. Neither have scratches... I would prefer to not use one.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #3,967 of 6,668
My apologies in advance if this topic was already covered...is media scanning every time the device is powered on normal? Scanning takes about 5 minutes..... and upon powering up I get the "SD card safely removed" notification which stays there until I actually remove my SD card. Seems peculiar for and Android based device. I have a 128g SD card installed that's about half full with a mix of mainly flac and mp3's. I dont have anything in the internal storage. I Just bought the AK100 ii a few days ago and I wonder if something might be wrong with the device or SD card perhaps.

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #3,968 of 6,668
My apologies in advance if this topic was already covered...is media scanning every time the device is powered on normal? Scanning takes about 5 minutes..... and upon powering up I get the "SD card safely removed" notification which stays there until I actually remove my SD card. Seems peculiar for and Android based device. I have a 128g SD card installed that's about half full with a mix of mainly flac and mp3's. I dont have anything in the internal storage. I Just bought the AK100 ii a few days ago and I wonder if something might be wrong with the device or SD card perhaps.

I own the same device. My internal storage is full and I have two 64 sd cards. I am sure my boot up time is much shorter. I get the same message about the sd card removal. I just ignore it and procede with selecting my music. I don't know if this helps at all. As a side note after five months with this device I am still very happy.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,969 of 6,668
Can't decide. It's a sweet case... As far as cases go. My MacBooks never had protection on them, and outside of a screen protector neither do my iPads. Neither have scratches... I would prefer to not use one.

The case looks pretty. But I am worrying that the player is crazy hot inside the case and then in the pocket especially playing DSD/ MSQ files. Will the overheat damage the unit. That's why I didn't use any case at all.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,970 of 6,668

I own the same device. My internal storage is full and I have two 64 sd cards. I am sure my boot up time is much shorter. I get the same message about the sd card removal. I just ignore it and procede with selecting my music. I don't know if this helps at all. As a side note after five months with this device I am still very happy.

Are you guys talking about AK120II?
The message of SD card safely removed is shown once the SD card is inserted. I used to insert a 32 GB SD card. When the unit is powered on, it takes about half a minute to scan the internal storage and then the SD card. In order to save some waiting time, now I copied all the files in the internal storage and don't use the SD card.
Now it takes about 15 seconds of scanning before I can play.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,971 of 6,668
Any comments about BT performance of AK100ii/120ii/240 with wireless headphones?  I got a little extension on my ak120ii loaner, so doing more testing, and noticed that it doesn't pair up good with all my headphones.  What I mean, the BT transmit signal probably not strong enough like on some latest smartphones.  With a same pair of headphones or speakers paired up with my Note 4, I can walk away 40ft before signal starts cutting out.  With ak120ii some start loosing connection 10ft away (Senns Momentum 2 wireless even a few steps away), others can go only for 20ft.  I don't have high expectations for wireless listening distance since intent would be to keep DAP next to me with headphones on while listening wireless, but still curious if others found the same?

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,972 of 6,668
Any comments about BT performance of AK100ii/120ii/240 with wireless headphones?  I got a little extension on my ak120ii loaner, so doing more testing, and noticed that it doesn't pair up good with all my headphones.  What I mean, the BT transmit signal probably not strong enough like on some latest smartphones.  With a same pair of headphones or speakers paired up with my Note 4, I can walk away 40ft before signal starts cutting out.  With ak120ii some start loosing connection 10ft away (Senns Momentum 2 wireless even a few steps away), others can go only for 20ft.  I don't have high expectations for wireless listening distance since intent would be to keep DAP next to me with headphones on while listening wireless, but still curious if others found the same?

I never use BT earphone. I uses Beoplay BT speaker. Connect to AK120II . The BT distance is only 20 ft. M'y HTC smartphone can connect to 40 ft-50 ft.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,973 of 6,668

I never use BT earphone. I uses Beoplay BT speaker. Connect to AK120II . The BT distance is only 20 ft. M'y HTC smartphone can connect to 40 ft-50 ft.

Yep, the same here with RIVA Turbo X.  I'm pretty sure the BT signal strength is a bit on a weak side with AK120ii, probably the same with WiFi signal - lowering the power of transmitter to cut down on EMI interference.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #3,974 of 6,668
I just tried my new Meelec Matrix 2 BT headphones with the AK240 - lots of drops (over a distance of 2 feet). In contrast, the Sony A17 was flawless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,975 of 6,668
I just tried my new Meelec Matrix 2 BT headphones with the AK240 - lots of drops (over a distance of 2 feet). In contrast, the Sony A17 was flawless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

How do you like Matrix 2? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back