Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Apr 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,916 of 6,668
  Thanks. There's a adidas HD25 and DT1350 in the classifieds right now for almost the same price. All these phones seem to have tight clamping force.
I have a feeling, I will like the HD25's sound signature better.

DT1350 cannot be run balanced AFIK, FYI. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3,917 of 6,668
  Anyone know where to send in technical support requests to A&K?   My AK100ii still insists on wiping out it's memory.  It transfers over a few files fine, and then it will say "disconnect and restart your device" and when you do, BLAM, everything on the internal memory is gone.    

Their tech support email is: support.inc@iriver.com

Btw, I assume you tried factory reset, just in case
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3,918 of 6,668
Well, I've been using HD650/LCD 2 straight out AK120II balance for little more than a year and they still sound very satisfying to me, transparency, details and sound stage is phenomenal.

My itch is now Ether and a new balanced cable from Travis . lol.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,919 of 6,668
Well, I've been using HD650/LCD 2 straight out AK120II balance for little more than a year and they still sound very satisfying to me, transparency, details and sound stage is phenomenal.

My itch is now Ether and a new balanced cable from Travis . lol.

Yea, a couple of weeks ago I connected my 650 to the AK100ii (unbalanced) just to see how it goes, I didn't expect it to be very good. But I was really surprised! I since then listened to it a few more times and, yes, it is a really nice surprise!

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #3,920 of 6,668
You know what, guys? I like this setup. I really do. 

AK120II -> Linum Super Balanced -> Noble K10. Perfect synergy, capable of handling anything and everything you throw at it and it fits in my pocket when I take the bus to work. Pretty sure I could live with this being The Endgame Rig for a good, long time. Especially because the only ways to upgrade would be to go AK240 and Noble Prestige. ($2500 and >$2600, respectively)

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,922 of 6,668

AK120II -> Linum Super Balanced -> Noble K10. Perfect synergy, capable of handling anything and everything you throw at it and it fits in my pocket when I take the bus to work. Pretty sure I could live with this being The Endgame Rig for a good, long time. Especially because the only ways to upgrade would be to go AK240 and Noble Prestige. ($2500 and >$2600, respectively)

I'm curious:  you listen to your 120ii at your office via the cradle (while it's plugged in I presume)?  Any negative effects on the battery playing it so much while plugged in?

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,923 of 6,668

I'm curious:  you listen to your 120ii at your office via the cradle (while it's plugged in I presume)?  Any negative effects on the battery playing it so much while plugged in?

No idea if there's any negative effect on the battery from having it plugged in all the time, to be honest. And every single online debate on the topic invariably results in two camps, one saying it's bad for the battery, one claiming the opposite and each producing indisputable evidence to support their claims. So I just use it this way because it's damn convenient.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,924 of 6,668
  No idea if there's any negative effect on the battery from having it plugged in all the time, to be honest. And every single online debate on the topic invariably results in two camps, one saying it's bad for the battery, one claiming the opposite and each producing indisputable evidence to support their claims. So I just use it this way because it's damn convenient.

I think there`s no need for a debate on that issue: a device either does or does not have circuitry built in to protect the battery.  Remember the iBasso PB2? The manual clearly stated that the device could be left on charge without damage.  Then there was my old Mac Powerbook : a few months using it plugged in 24/7 destroyed the battery and they told me I should have known better than to leave it plugged in all the time.  So all we need to do is confirm if AK built this protection in or not . . .   

Anybody know? 

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,928 of 6,668
  Is there actually a reason why some AK devices have a cap on the size of SDHC they support?  The JR. is 64gb + 64gb and it just seems odd that it wouldn't support 128gb or more.  

Maybe they just being cautious and will update it after verifying with different 128GB microSD cards?  Going from 64GB to 128GB is just a matter of processor supporting extra address bit, if I'm not mistaken.  A lot of recent DAP releases had 64GB as max support capacity, but it worked without a problem with 128GB card.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #3,929 of 6,668

I think there`s no need for a debate on that issue: a device either does or does not have circuitry built in to protect the battery.  Remember the iBasso PB2? The manual clearly stated that the device could be left on charge without damage.  Then there was my old Mac Powerbook : a few months using it plugged in 24/7 destroyed the battery and they told me I should have known better than to leave it plugged in all the time.  So all we need to do is confirm if AK built this protection in or not . . .   

Anybody know? 

I didn't get a definitive answer from them on a matter of circuit protection, but A&K did say it shouldn't be a problem of keeping it in the cradle for extended period of time.  And if battery fails over time, they can replace it for a small fee.

Personally, I don't believe they have implemented trickle charging, the only way to guarantee your are not overloading a fully charged battery.  New smartphones do that, my Note 4 has it implemented.  In my opinion, if you are planning to leave your AK100ii/120ii/240 DAP for weeks or months in the charging cradle - you are prematurely aging your battery.  But if it's a mix of charging throughout a day in the cradle and using on the go in between or after work - it shouldn't be a problem.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,930 of 6,668

Do you guys bother with the case?  I'm debating whether I should keep it on since there are front and back protectors and the aluminum seems to be of good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back