Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Apr 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #3,812 of 6,668
  Thinking of picking up an AK100ii today.  Not sure but wanted to confirm that A&K hasn't announced a new model that will replace this one?

I think if there`s going to be a new-product announcement, the most logical place would be the big Tokyo headphone show next month here, and A&K just happen to be on the poster:

AK sell their DAPs here like Apple used to sell iPods...  

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #3,813 of 6,668

[size=17.0300006866455px]AK120 II -> Linum Super Balanced -> Sennheiser HD25-1 II[/size]

Because why not? 
biggrin.gif

I had a spare Super balanced (review sample/preview) with a defective 2-pin connector so I repurposed it for the HD25-1 II. There's a reason these old cans are considered one of the classics... They're great fun and going balanced certainly didn't hurt them!

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,814 of 6,668
  Thinking of picking up an AK100ii today.  Not sure but wanted to confirm that A&K hasn't announced a new model that will replace this one?

There's been no announcement these few days but no one can guarantee they won't do the moment you part with your money. In the world of headfi you are only safe if you bought it writhin, say, 3 months of launch. Or thereabouts.

I would hope, though there are never any guarantees, that if they didn't have anything new at CanJam, they aren't about to spring something on us.  Hopefully when they do it won't be the AK100ii Mk2.  That would cause some serious confusion...

Yes I think someone at AK can only count as far as ii but others at AK have no problem counting to astronomical numbers when it comes to price! lol

I was very temped to go for the AK100ii but then I came accross the Hidizs AP100 from a review by Twister6, which I am very happy with for now! It also has the same DAC chip as the new AK's.

Also for those non-Fat-Cats among us (Skinny Cats perhaps - myself included) who are looking for a new DAP should also consider the new Fiio X3ii ( likewise has the same DAC chip as AK)

I would love to hear a comparison of the newest production model of the AP100, dare I say AP100ii Vs AK100ii?

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #3,815 of 6,668
I have the 100ii and plan to get the new X3 ii so i will post a review/comparo once I get the X3. Still spotty on availability in the states right now so may be a little while

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #3,818 of 6,668
  I have the 100ii and plan to get the new X3 ii so i will post a review/comparo once I get the X3. Still spotty on availability in the states right now so may be a little while

Interesting. I too, was planning to pick up the X3 II. They are well built, small enough, and sound pretty darn good. All for $200 or so. Mighty fine DAP.

Picked up the AK100ii.  This is the kind of device I could only dream of back in high school.   We've come a long way from the Panasonic Shockwave.  

Haha. Good old days, eh. I remember my very first DAP - a Creative Nomad II MG. 64 MB of space, with a slot for an extra 64 MB. I could fit about 40 songs on them. Loved them.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #3,819 of 6,668

Interesting. I too, was planning to pick up the X3 II. They are well built, small enough, and sound pretty darn good. All for $200 or so. Mighty fine DAP.

Haha. Good old days, eh. I remember my very first DAP - a Creative Nomad II MG. 64 MB of space, with a slot for an extra 64 MB. I could fit about 40 songs on them. Loved them.

I had a Samsung Yepp and a Nike Rio.  Early days.  I should try to find them and compare the sound quality to the AK100ii.  

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3,820 of 6,668

I had a Samsung Yepp and a Nike Rio.  Early days.  I should try to find them and compare the sound quality to the AK100ii.  

I had a Samsung Yepp too! Shame it was lost, along with my Nomad II MG. It would be nice to compare the DAPs of the pioneer generation with the current crop of TOTL DAPs like the AK players. Please do a comparison if you can. It'll be nice to hear your impressions. 
smile.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,821 of 6,668
My first DAP was the Frontier Labs Nex IIe:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2002/10/frontier-labs-nex-iie-mp3-player/

"The Nex IIe is a small lightweight player that uses Compact Flash cards and can also double as a portable flash memory device. It’s got a nice LED readout and accepts both Compact Flash I and II cards which means you can use not only regular CF memory cards but also the 1GB IBM Microdrive. That’s a heck of a lot of space for something a good deal smaller than a pack of smokes!"

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,822 of 6,668
  Anyone know of anyway to remove the latency when in USB DAC mode?  

I have tried everything with no success.  It makes it useless for watching movies, right?  Even using the +/- audio delay function in VLC it was impossible to line up a soundtrack... Please share if you find a solution.

My first DAP was the Frontier Labs Nex IIe:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2002/10/frontier-labs-nex-iie-mp3-player/

"The Nex IIe is a small lightweight player that uses Compact Flash cards and can also double as a portable flash memory device. It’s got a nice LED readout and accepts both Compact Flash I and II cards which means you can use not only regular CF memory cards but also the 1GB IBM Microdrive. That’s a heck of a lot of space for something a good deal smaller than a pack of smokes!"

CF cards?  Brilliant. Was this one of the many innovative products which died in the iPod epidemic?  We are good times now, with such a wide range of players trying to out-compete each other.  Fiio X7 should be very interesting . . . . 

My first DAP was the generation 1 iPod Shuffle. Damn fine sound for such a tiny package.  Before that it was 10 years of minidisc players (living in Japan they were ubiquitous), and the best of those was a Denon unit I used for years.  I would love to have that device again, and AB with my 120ii using some really good headphones . . 

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,824 of 6,668
  Wow we are all old my first portable was a Sony Walkman and the headphone pads used to rip all the time.

Ha - I thought we were talking DAPs, not AAPs!  I had that too, and then I had one of these :  

These were high-school days for me, pimply, early-gear addict.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #3,825 of 6,668
Wow.   Android File Transfer on the Mac is utter and total ****.  It crashed my Mac a few times and also managed to wipe out all the data on the AK100ii.   Going to use the SD card slot first and fill up the internal memory using wireless download I guess....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back