Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,661 of 6,668
  No effect on the sensitivity of the touch screen?

Well, I don't know how it compares with a normal, plastic protector, but I have had no issues with sensitivity whatsoever. Everything feels smooth and immediate, with no visible issues in touch recognition.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,663 of 6,668
The Ak100II I personally didn't hear a difference between the two. And if your only driving iem's you won't need the extra power. And with the money you save you can go and buy another iem or headphone.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3,664 of 6,668
The Ak100II I personally didn't hear a difference between the two. And if your only driving iem's you won't need the extra power. And with the money you save you can go and buy another iem or headphone.

Ditto. I compared both, back and forth countless times... No difference to my ears either. Slight power advantage for the AK120II.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3,665 of 6,668
Go for the 100ii and use the savings to buy more music.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,668 of 6,668
Ak 100 ii must be better than ak 120 ,am i r8?
But why ak 120 is more expensive than ak 100 ii?

I can think of two reasons: 

1.  The implementation of the dual dacs, etc in AK120 costs more than the single set up in the 100ii.

or, more likely: 

2.  The price difference is classic marketing strategy:  the `price point`.  By making the 120 more expensive than the 100ii, people think the 100ii is more reasonalby priced, and therefor are more likely to buy.  Are AK even making the 120 any more?  I can`t imagine they`ve continued production...  They probably have inventory left over.  They could blow out the remaining stock at a discount, but that would cheapen their brand, so instead, keep the price high and drive new and existing customers to the new products....  

That`s what makes sense to me. 

BTW, I think you should go for the 120ii.  

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #3,670 of 6,668
I don't think any of them are worth the money but I bought the AK100II, it's a toy for me you need to treat yourself on pointless stuff some times. I love tech stuff I guess it's the Asian coming out of me. One of the cleanest sounding players I have cost me $80 but the UI sucks and it's way under powered and I don't like stacking with amps for portable use.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,671 of 6,668
I'm thinking of getting the Alpha Primes to listen to on my AK120II alone. I've done lots of reading, and I can't find anything definite about whether the AK120II can drive the Primes adequately without some other support. Anybody know? 

Failing that I may get a pair of AKT5Ps. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3,672 of 6,668
  I'm thinking of getting the Alpha Primes to listen to on my AK120II alone. I've done lots of reading, and I can't find anything definite about whether the AK120II can drive the Primes adequately without some other support. Anybody know? 

Those are two radically different user experiences you`re considering: The Alpha Dogs/Primes, as great as they sound, are huge and heavy ...

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #3,673 of 6,668
I'm looking forward to more reviews/comments about PM3 & EL8 closed back, I hope that at least 1 of them works well directly out of the 100ii (I'm really over stacking at this point).

The headphone I really would like to see are portable planars with noise cancelling and internal amp... That would be the day! 
dt880smile.png

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #3,674 of 6,668

The Alpha Primes, with the drivers coming from Fostex TR50, definitely needs lotsa juice to sound at it's best. When I tried the Primes with my Oppo HA-1, even I found it to be out of breath. My local dealer that have both the Primes and Oppo also agreed with my finding as he told me the Primes is a bit hard to drive.
Maybe you should go for the AKT5p

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3,675 of 6,668
The Alpha Primes, with the drivers coming from Fostex TR50, definitely needs lotsa juice to sound at it's best. When I tried the Primes with my Oppo HA-1, even I found it to be out of breath. My local dealer that have both the Primes and Oppo also agreed with my finding as he told me the Primes is a bit hard to drive.
Maybe you should go for the AKT5p

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. It seems the Primes would --work-- with the AK, but not to their full potential. And I'd constantly be wondering what they really should sound like.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back