Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #3,646 of 6,668
Hi guys,

What do u think of ak100II compared idsd micro and dx90 combo? Can't decide as I can't get my hands on them before buying them. I have hd 650 with Zu Mobius cable but plan on getting something like th 900

I've not heard the iDSD before, but compared with the DX90 alone, the AK100 II sounds a touch more detailed throughout. I'd go with the latter based on SQ between these 2 models (without stacking concerns).

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #3,647 of 6,668
I think it depends on what kind of headphones you use. I sold my AK100 II because it didn't had enough power to drive my Beyerdynamic T90. The DX90 had that power with the gain switch. The AK 100 II will also have a hard time driving the HD 650 to its fullest potential. You could of course use a portable headphone-amp with the AK, but then again i am not sold on the idea of spending so much money on a DAP which then again needs a headphone-amp to drive headphones well.

And in terms of SQ i couldn't hear a noticable differenz between the AK and the DX90. And i did some intense A-B blind-testing with my wife switching between them. The AK has the better UI, no doubt about that. And the whole thing is built really well, but i think its not worth the extra-cash in comparison to the DX90.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,648 of 6,668
  I think it depends on what kind of headphones you use. I sold my AK100 II because it didn't had enough power to drive my Beyerdynamic T90. The DX90 had that power with the gain switch. The AK 100 II will also have a hard time driving the HD 650 to its fullest potential. You could of course use a portable headphone-amp with the AK, but then again i am not sold on the idea of spending so much money on a DAP which then again needs a headphone-amp to drive headphones well.

And in terms of SQ i couldn't hear a noticable differenz between the AK and the DX90. And i did some intense A-B blind-testing with my wife switching between them. The AK has the better UI, no doubt about that. And the whole thing is built really well, but i think its not worth the extra-cash in comparison to the DX90.

You're right, I guess it depends a lot on the ear/headphone used. I tried both players with the W60 and K10, and I could tell a difference between the 2 (when volume matched). It wasn't a massive discrepancy, though. However, once I heard this difference, it was hard to un-hear it.

Anyway, I agree that the UI on the AK players are a lot better thought out. Coming from a DX50, it looks terribly clunky compared to the smooth, buttery performance of the AK software.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3,650 of 6,668
I had an Rwak120b which I sold to upgrade to one of the AK new players ak100ii, ak120ii or 240. I had the ak100ii and ak120ii for a bit and I had no regrets. The UI and not carrying around a stack was such a relief. I did love the sound of the Rwak120b but I never regretted upgrading. Not the direct comparison you wanted...but something. Based on UI alone well worth it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,652 of 6,668
I've not heard the iDSD before, but compared with the DX90 alone, the AK100 II sounds a touch more detailed throughout. I'd go with the latter based on SQ between these 2 models (without stacking concerns).

Thx guys. I guess I will have to listen myself.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,653 of 6,668
  I'm thinking about purchasing the ak120ii or the ak240 in the near future. Does anyone know where you can purchase tempered glass or protective screen films for these models? Thanks in advance :)

I don't know about the glass (I would think that would make these touch-centric devices very troublesome to use) but my AK120 II came with 2 protective films in the box.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,655 of 6,668
  Thanks for the quick reply :) Looks like i won't have to look very far for a protective screen film.

Yes, It comes with one set pre-applied (Front and Back) and another spare set.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #3,656 of 6,668
Hi. I used to own DX90 and X5 and the new AK players sound better in every aspects. Not to mention the exceptionally easy to navigate UI much more worth it in the long run.

If you own HD650, TH900 and Audeze lines you would definitely go for 120ii no doubt. Wait till you hear HD650 with balance out AK120II.

I posted impressions on those cans back a while ago and it's just keeps getting better.

Cheers.

Really? ?? I find it hard to believe as even with my note 3 thr hd 650 sound good. Can't imagine ak100II performing weaker than note 3.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #3,657 of 6,668
  I'm thinking about purchasing the ak120ii or the ak240 in the near future. Does anyone know where you can purchase tempered glass or protective screen films for these models? Thanks in advance :)

Just to clarify : there are plastic screen protectors for DAPs and smartphones, etc, and then there are glass protectors.  I believe the included protectors with AKs are plastic.  Glass protectors are about triple the price.  They are in the shops here in Tokyo: 

Can anyone explain the difference/benefit of these glass protectors vs the cheaper plastic ones?  I`ve never tried them but I`m curious.....

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,658 of 6,668

Just to clarify : there are plastic screen protectors for DAPs and smartphones, etc, and then there are glass protectors.  I believe the included protectors with AKs are plastic.  Glass protectors are about triple the price.  They are in the shops here in Tokyo: 

Can anyone explain the difference/benefit of these glass protectors vs the cheaper plastic ones?  I`ve never tried them but I`m curious.....

I have a tempered glass protector on my phone and they take a better impact then plastic ones, the tempered glass is also scratch resistant. I have shattered many of screens on my phone until I used a glass one, and they look a lot nicer. Cant say if it's the same glass for the AK since I only have one on my phone.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,659 of 6,668

I don't know if the screen protector on my LG G3 is of the same variety, but it's a thick sheet, a few mms in depth. When applied to my screen, there's a visible increase in thickness over the glass. Anyway, it looks really sturdy, and is a whole lot better at keeping out scratches than the standard plastic sheet protectors.

Mine looks just like this -

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,660 of 6,668

I don't know if the screen protector on my LG G3 is of the same variety, but it's a thick sheet, a few mms in depth. When applied to my screen, there's a visible increase in thickness over the glass. Anyway, it looks really sturdy, and is a whole lot better at keeping out scratches than the standard plastic sheet protectors.

Mine looks just like this -

No effect on the sensitivity of the touch screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back