Brainwavz R1 Review
Nov 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #511 of 794
Quote:
just checked the box again and it says "balanced sound"...
so they are clearly not advertising it as a bass heavy iem, right?
(apart from that, it can easily provide some with EQ to the more demanding ones)

Balanced has the notion of a v-shape on head-fi actually (originally).  Lately, it's been used to mean nearly neutral as well.  The idea is that the human ear hearing a flat tone will actually hear a mid-heavy sound instead of flat.  So the idea is to balance it out by upping the lows and highs by a given degree. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #512 of 794
Quote:

Balanced has the notion of a v-shape on head-fi actually (originally).  Lately, it's been used to mean nearly neutral as well.  The idea is that the human ear hearing a flat tone will actually hear a mid-heavy sound instead of flat.  So the idea is to balance it out by upping the lows and highs by a given degree. 

yep, Im aware of that (same goes when testing sine waves, those on the two ends and less audible)..
my point was that,  producers usually state it in a clear fashion when an IEM has more bass than what buyers
should normally expect...

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #513 of 794
Quote:
yep, Im aware of that (same goes when testing sine waves, those on the two ends and less audible)..
my point was that,  producers usually state it in a clear fashion when an IEM has more bass than what buyers
should normally expect...

I've seen bass quantities overstated and understated...  It's all marketing (which is why you go get an unbiased review :p)

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #515 of 794
Any of you have the sony mh1c's? I have put the large tips from the mh1c onto the r1, and am really digging the sound coming out of the r1's. Just sayin'.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #517 of 794
I have both. I'll try putting the sony tips on the R1s and pray it brings back some of the mids. At this point, I'm willing to trade in the soundstage from the R1 for a better sound signature and detail from the Sonys.

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #518 of 794
Hey guys,

I just received my pair of Brainwavz R1 but I have some complaints which you might like to know.
1. In the original review, the smal, and medium buds are of 2 types : a pair with small holes at the front and a pair with large ones. Mine came with duplicate small ones.
2. No signed warranty.
3. There are 2 pairs of dual buds(one smaller connected to one larger). I received just one pair.
4. The FIIO amp purchased with the IEMs also has no warranty.

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #519 of 794
1: D2K probably got a prototype from mp4nation, he got it before they started selling them. The retail product can differ slightly from a review prototype.
2: Don't worry about it, mp4nation has great customer serivce. There's a warranty card in the case that came with the r1's.
3: Again, D2K probably got a prototype. You should look at the product specifications @mp4nation to see what is in the package, it can change from time to time.
4: mp4nation's customer service can probably solve your problems.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #521 of 794
Quote:
Hey guys,

I just received my pair of Brainwavz R1 but I have some complaints which you might like to know.
1. In the original review, the smal, and medium buds are of 2 types : a pair with small holes at the front and a pair with large ones. Mine came with duplicate small ones.
2. No signed warranty.
3. There are 2 pairs of dual buds(one smaller connected to one larger). I received just one pair.
4. The FIIO amp purchased with the IEMs also has no warranty.

What you have, in terms of buds - shape, size and quantity, are all correct. D2K had a review unit that was not sent in retail packing, we also sent the accessories pack that normally came with the M5.

The warranty on both the items is 1 year and if anything goes wrong just contact our support (http://ww.mp4nation.net/contact), we can check your order from your order number to check on warranty period and such stuff.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #523 of 794
Quote:
What you have, in terms of buds - shape, size and quantity, are all correct. D2K had a review unit that was not sent in retail packing, we also sent the accessories pack that normally came with the M5.

The warranty on both the items is 1 year and if anything goes wrong just contact our support (http://ww.mp4nation.net/contact), we can check your order from your order number to check on warranty period and such stuff.

OK, I understand. However, I think it is very misleading to make such modifications. The original review-er never specified that what he had was an engineering sample (did he even know?). IMHO a product sent for review should be as close as possible to the one that the consumer will buy, otherwise this type of reviews cannot be trusted.
Supposed I really wanted a  certain type of earbuds that I know fit my ears and imagine my surprise when the ordered packaged does not contain them and the IEM don't perform that well as a result. This is especially the case for Brainwavz earphones that do not have the standard earbud inner diameter(like Senn,  AKG, Xears, etc).

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #524 of 794
Quote:
Quote:

OK, I understand. However, I think it is very misleading to make such modifications. The original review-er never specified that what he had was an engineering sample (did he even know?). IMHO a product sent for review should be as close as possible to the one that the consumer will buy, otherwise this type of reviews cannot be trusted.
Supposed I really wanted a  certain type of earbuds that I know fit my ears and imagine my surprise when the ordered packaged does not contain them and the IEM don't perform that well as a result. This is especially the case for Brainwavz earphones that do not have the standard earbud inner diameter(like Senn,  AKG, Xears, etc).

I'm gonna defend MP4nation on this one.
It is quite common for iem's to change over time. Just to give an example, cosmic ears had to change their cable for their ciem's because their supplier ran out. Xears used to change the cord and tips all the time without any notice.

Also, samples are, well, samples. If a company sends out samples to reviewers and all the reviewers state how horrible their j-cord is, that company might decide to change the production model to a y-cord. 

The list of included accesories on MP4nation's website seems correct, you should probably trust the website over a reviewer. If it's a deal breaker for you, just contact them to check.
I agree with you that reviewers of samples should state that fact, and most do.
I'm sorry you didn't get what you expected but I still think they're pretty good iem's.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #525 of 794
Quote:

Nothing misleading here. From the product description page on MP4's site:
*Included Accessories:
  1. 1 x Comply foam tips
  2. 6 x Pairs of ear tips (S/M/L)
  3. 1 X Bi-Flange tips
  4. 1 x 6.3mm adapter
  5. 1 x Airplane adapter
  6. 1 x Hard carrying case
  7. 1 x Instruction manual & Warranty card

If it was that important to you. I'd think you would check on the R1's default order and product page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back