Brainwavz R1 Review
Nov 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #526 of 794
Quote:
OK, I understand. However, I think it is very misleading to make such modifications. The original review-er never specified that what he had was an engineering sample (did he even know?). IMHO a product sent for review should be as close as possible to the one that the consumer will buy, otherwise this type of reviews cannot be trusted.
Supposed I really wanted a  certain type of earbuds that I know fit my ears and imagine my surprise when the ordered packaged does not contain them and the IEM don't perform that well as a result. This is especially the case for Brainwavz earphones that do not have the standard earbud inner diameter(like Senn,  AKG, Xears, etc).

Well in fairness we do state the listed accessories on our site. D2K didn't get a engineering sample, the earbuds that were to be included were not ready, so we sent the eartips from the M5, sorry for any confusion. You can always send the earphones back for a full refund if you are not happy with them.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #527 of 794
Oh I did, but you see, 6 pair of ear tips is not really saying much. The design can vary a lot.
As for modifications, they could just go with revision numbers, it would make things easier for the custom to understand.

Off topic: J cords awful ? I love J cords and can't find a single bonus about Y cords except in the case where the IEMS are over-the-ear design.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #531 of 794
Quote:

Just changing the tips on the R1 from the stock flange tips to the foam tips makes a big change in the sound also.

I have been in the process of returning my R1's simply because I went on a head-fi induced iem purchasing spree, and I can't keep them all (I'm surprised that I got one pair of iem's let alone 4 pairs lol!). The problem though is that whenever I do A-Bing with my new FXD70's (which to be fair have not yet been burned in), I really enjoy the sound of the R1's (with foam tips) - nice bass and warmer sound. I switched back to the flange tips, and to me it lessens the bass a bit and makes the phones a bit brighter with more details. So with either tips, the R1's really sound nice to my ears. Once I get my other iem's in, it will be very interesting to do A-B-C-D'ing. And maybe I will decide that I do need 4 pairs of iems after all lol!

Yeah tell me about it, CKM500, FXD80, HAS500 and R1. That is why I dont visit HF often
biggrin.gif
. I dont know if I want to use the foam tips , bass is more than enough for me and I like the detail. But ill give it a shot. Those carbon nano tubes need lots of beating. I tried fxd70, compared to R1 I think 70 would make R1 sounds warmer. Have you tried amping R1? Let us know.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #532 of 794
Quote:

Lol - ok. If it makes you feel any better, I seem to have bizarro ear-canals. Actually, my right one seems fine, but my left one seem smaller and at a wierd angle - quite a bit more difficult to get anything to fit. Trying to get the fxd70's to stay in it is the worst... put it in.. plunk - it falls out lol! No wonder I avoided iem's for so long lol!

These FXDs are quite weighty, I always wear my 80 over the ear.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #533 of 794
Finally! After having issues with the suctoms and mr R1 being held for about 20 days I received it today. The midbass is a little bit too much -I don't know if it will settle after the burning in but as it is, it has better speed and body than the mh1c's bass. The mids are slightly recessed (and I mean slightly - nothing like the Gr02 Bass) with good details. The treble is also a little but too much (just as I like it) but has a nice sparkle. The soundstage is good with above average width and good positioning. Without any burn-in I have to say the R1 is pretty good for its price.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #534 of 794
Quote:
These FXDs are quite weighty, I always wear my 80 over the ear.

Yes, I have been wearing the 70's over my ears for a while now, and that solves that issue. And the foam tips works for me as well (taming the treble a bit). They sound very nicely balanced and detailed now :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #539 of 794
I have found a way to increase the sound stage and make it even wider while keeping the bass and general sound signature the same!

I took out the plastic centre from the Comply tips the R1's came with and stuffed the foam into the base (bigger) silicon part of the double silicon tip.

Then I took one of the small tips that I would never used and removed the plastic tube center and cut it in half.

I placed each half of the 1mm-ish tubes on the headphone then placed the Double Flange tip with the comply foam on that.

The little tube acts as a spacer and the comply foam provides that great seal and a little extra stiffness to the super-hybrid-makeshift-tip. The in-ear depth is the same as usual but since the drivers are farther away it seems to open up the soundstage ever more. I can also find better comfort and a much better seal faster with this mod.

Found the inspiration here: http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=902.0

I hope that I provided a good enough explanation on how to do this modification! :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #540 of 794
Quote:
I have found a way to increase the sound stage and make it even wider while keeping the bass and general sound signature the same!

I took out the plastic centre from the Comply tips the R1's came with and stuffed the foam into the base (bigger) silicon part of the double silicon tip.

Then I took one of the small tips that I would never used and removed the plastic tube center and cut it in half.

I placed each half of the 1mm-ish tubes on the headphone then placed the Double Flange tip with the comply foam on that.

The little tube acts as a spacer and the comply foam provides that great seal and a little extra stiffness to the super-hybrid-makeshift-tip. The in-ear depth is the same as usual but since the drivers are farther away it seems to open up the soundstage ever more. I can also find better comfort and a much better seal faster with this mod.

Found the inspiration here: http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=902.0

I hope that I provided a good enough explanation on how to do this modification! :)

That's pretty cool! I'd be tempted to do it if I wasn't using my R1 foam tips on the fxd70's right now (and enjoying them so much). Hmm.. I think I need more foam/comply tips lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back