Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #301 of 794
They arrived to me yesterday and i have been listening to them ever since. I would agree with others that the vocals are a little recessed but still not bad, i hope that with some more burn this will improve. The packaging these came in are is really nice, not something i would expect from a $35 earphone. The earphones are made out of plastic, they look and feel nice. The only part i don't like is the rubberish feeling on the cord, its pretty different from other earphones i've had. Overall i really like these quite a lot, the sound is warm with a good bass.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #302 of 794
As a previous owner of M2, I feel R1 is the better version of it. With M2 I'm struggling with vocal being pushed back by bass. Bloated bass that was. I have been enjoying R1 for hours, after burn in the bass seems a little bit tighter. For me this is one fun and enjoyable IEM. Thanks Dragon.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #305 of 794
Quote:
I personally purchased the R1s mainly due to your review dragon2knight. I'm not going to call you a liar, but I personally cannot categorize the R1's into balanced headphones. The bass is really strong; I actually thought that Monster bought Brainwavz and renamed the Beats by Dr. Dre Tours into Brainwavz R1. I am kind of disappointed in them, but many others find them great so unless I am expecting much too much from a pair of $35 IEMs, I am not going to approve of them. Perhaps it's my expectations, perhaps they weren't burned in properly, perhaps mines came with a different or defective driver, I have no idea. Once again, opinion is opinion, but it doesn't beat the S4's from when I listened to it. I'm receiving my B2's in a week from now, hopefully those will sound much much better, at the same time, I might check the M5's since they seem to perform really well for it's price from reviews.

Quote:
Okay, I've had enough here. I have a life and don't need to be insulted by the likes of this dump of a forum. You folks have some serious unresolved issues best left to psychological means.... I'm outta here. Later.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I really think it's ok to agree that some of us disagree.
This is a forum, open for discussion. It's a place to express opinions and exchange ideas. Let's keep it constructive without offending others and you gotta be able to take some criticism.

Originally Posted by nihontoman 
 Quote:
One advice: it's cool to hope that burn-in will actually improve your IEMs (I've always found amusing how believers in audible burn-in always report just changes for the better, never for worse), but to expect to actually find whole new IEMs with a different sound signature is fooling yourself. Letting them burn-in is smart, because it's free and you have nothing to lose, but when someone doesn't like a pair of IEMs after 30 min, they probably won't like them after 30 hours.

you are right, burn in only makes small changes, but they are still audible. also, burn in can't make anything sound "worse", because it just improves the mechanical abilities of the driver and I don't see how a constricted in movement driver would sound better than burnt in, more "free" driver... if that makes any sense though :)

as for amping - I don't think those will need any. sensitivity and impedance are quite good to be driven directly from any source and amplifing  won't make any difference, if of course the amplifier is neutral and only does that - amplify the signal...

I've had burn-ins in the past where I wished the sound would stop changing. For these R1's, I liked them better right after the bass tightened but the upper end was a little more 'harsh.' The edginess actually gave the upper end some more energy, power and highlighted more detail.
Now it has mellowed out more and that's fine too, and it might change some more. We'll see.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #308 of 794
I guess I'm the only one hearing vocals that aren't recessed in these earphones. These are shaping up to be the best sounding earphones I've ever purchased under $50 (right now tying with the JVC FX40).

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #309 of 794
Thanks for sharing this info. Eric, So, do you think is not worthy to get the R1 if you already owns the FX40s? cuz I was thinking in getting the R1 as an upgrade to my beloved FX40. What do you think?

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #310 of 794
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this info. Eric, So, do you think is not worthy to get the R1 if you already owns the FX40s? cuz I was thinking in getting the R1 as an upgrade to my beloved FX40. What do you think?

I will say that I'm still enjoying the R1 immensely, and right now it's tied with my favorite earphone under $50 (the other being the FX40).  While not forward like in the FXD80, I don't find the vocals recessed at all. But here's the thing that is making me fall in love with the R1, it has a characteristic that I've found with all dual-dynamic  earphones I've heard and dual hybrids. Each of those earphones (DDM, FXT90, AF78) have a unique layering of sound that brings out extra details in vocals, background vocals and instrumentation. The R1 is not exception. I'm hearing great details and picking up nuances in background vocals of let's say Steely Dan songs (such as Deacon Blues and Hey Nineteen). Strings have great layering in some jazz tracks I've sampled with a string quartet. Acoustic guitar has very good weight to them. I don't even have 10 hours on them and I'm quite impressed. I wouldn't say the earphone sounds like an audiophile system, but it sounds like a very good high-end system (just below audiophile like some good Onkyo components). I'm really love this sound. Actually I'm loving the sound of the R1 a tad bit more than I'm loving the sound of the Adagio III. Now the signatures are not really the same, but I'm comparing more on the bass. The bass of the III reeks with POWER! It's on the verge of being too much were there is a touch of muddiness (just a touch). This may get better  (and I believe it will), but there is where it's at right now.

The bass of the R1 is a couple steps behind the III, but there is that "punchy power" sound in its bass. It's really blending in with the rest of the sound spectrum quite well to my ears. Nice micro details that are pushing toward the FXT90 (not quite there but heading there with additional burn-in). This doesn't sound like the FXT90 though. More 3-Dish than the FXT90. So I was thinking about why some of the other R1  owners don't hear the detailed sound, more forward vocals, etc. My theory is that some of our members don't realize that all earphones are worn the same way. Example, some earphones are to be worn in a shallow way to get the optimum sound out of them (the AF78 is a perfect example). Other earphones must be pushed deep into the for the best sound (like with customs). Well, the R1 is one of those that need an deep insertion. The nozzle is long enough and demands it. Oh, someone asked about the size of the nozzle. Nozzle is somewhere between the size of the W4/SE535 and the FX40. In other words, it's about the diameter of the GR07. So really wide-bore tips won't work, but really tight ones won't work either. The Sony Hybrids should work, but I think the Auveos would be too wide. Actually the stock tips work well (especially the double-flange). But what I have settled on is a long large white Monster foam hybrid. Tames the bass some and pushes it close to (dare I say) a balanced sound. lol... But I wouldn't call the earphones balanced. Close with the right tips, but not quite (yet). And I'm not saying dragon is wrong though. WE ALL HEAR DIFFERENTLY! I'm REALLY liking the R1's sound signature (if that's not coming across yet). 

The R1 and FX40 have different sound signatures, I should add here. I think the R1 has a more refined sound than the FX40. But for raw rock I would go with the FX40. For jazz, some classical and pop I would go with the R1. I think the R1 has more micro details. It's not a repeat in sound signature to have both. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #311 of 794
Trolling at its best. Oh well. Moving on. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #312 of 794
mine came in yesterday here is   my take on them i voted for them with my wallet i ordered another pr. as a back up !!!!!out of the box with no burn in they beat many sub  $100 iems i currently own s4, shure se215,westone1 ect.True they dont have the lush mids like my se535 but to my ears the vocals are  where they need to be. they are comfortable i wore mine for 8 hrs. last nite lol.I will say it takes a bit more to drive them but that might be just my i podtouch. i would compare them against my sony mdrex310 sound sig. imho they beat them , i prefer  ex310 treble.there is a V shape  sound sig but not like trf10 i kno i will get called out on this one lol but to my ears they beat trf10 in both the bass and treble. here are some tracks i used as test them for bass i like bass that is well defined, able to define both bass guitar and kick drum so i play a group like rammstiem where the drums and bass guitar are hard to tell apart on lots of iems the  r1 handle this task very   well, bass guitar and drums very well defined imho.next to test how low they can go i play pink floyd dark side of the moon track speak to me and listen for how well the heartbeat is played some iems cant reproduce that sound well sony mdrex310 not so much R1 no problem i can feel the bass pounding!!!Now for treble what i play is richie havens version of here comes the sun most earbuds all you get is the scraping sound of his pick on the 12 string with no notes following now with R1 yes the pick on the string sound is there but i can also here the note after ring. now for dynamics a track i like to listen to is only time by enya to hear how well soft passages as well as the reverb tails are reproduced and the R1 is right up there with trf10 and se535!!!!For $35 these are a steal order 2 lol at this price!!!!they are  easily worth 3 times that imho.hope this helps someone , been lurking here @head-fi for awhile now dont really give reviews so this may be my first lol plz bare with me its not easy to put into words what i hear but i tried.Not really big on graphs and the tech side of it but i feel i can tell when iems sound good as i have a pretty good collection of them. wife says too many lol.Ps. i also played R1 thru my galaxy 5.0 player as well as the ipod not played them thru cowon s9 yet tho as they burning in on my computer to help the drivers a bit.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #313 of 794
Bought r1's from mp4nation on Sunday, just received them here in London. First impressions:
amazing value. Just wow.
Great bass response, really rich and full, responds well to EQs,
the isolation is perfect once you get the seal
its a tad difficult to fit and takes getting used to since they're chunky and the nozzle is long.
Loving the range of buds
Overall I'm impressed. I'm yet to try out the Mic

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #314 of 794
Quote:

I will say that I'm still enjoying the R1 immensely, and right now it's tied with my favorite earphone under $50 (the other being the FX40).  While not forward like in the FXD80, I don't find the vocals recessed at all. But here's the thing that is making me fall in love with the R1, it has a characteristic that I've found with all dual-dynamic  earphones I've heard and dual hybrids. Each of those earphones (DDM, FXT90, AF78) have a unique layering of sound that brings out extra details in vocals, background vocals and instrumentation. The R1 is not exception. I'm hearing great details and picking up nuances in background vocals of let's say Steely Dan songs (such as Deacon Blues and Hey Nineteen). Strings have great layering in some jazz tracks I've sampled with a string quartet. Acoustic guitar has very good weight to them. I don't even have 10 hours on them and I'm quite impressed. I wouldn't say the earphone sounds like an audiophile system, but it sounds like a very good high-end system (just below audiophile like some good Onkyo components). I'm really love this sound. Actually I'm loving the sound of the R1 a tad bit more than I'm loving the sound of the Adagio III. Now the signatures are not really the same, but I'm comparing more on the bass. The bass of the III reeks with POWER! It's on the verge of being too much were there is a touch of muddiness (just a touch). This may get better  (and I believe it will), but there is where it's at right now.

The bass of the R1 is a couple steps behind the III, but there is that "punchy power" sound in its bass. It's really blending in with the rest of the sound spectrum quite well to my ears. Nice micro details that are pushing toward the FXT90 (not quite there but heading there with additional burn-in). This doesn't sound like the FXT90 though. More 3-Dish than the FXT90. So I was thinking about why some of the other R1  owners don't hear the detailed sound, more forward vocals, etc. My theory is that some of our members don't realize that all earphones are worn the same way. Example, some earphones are to be worn in a shallow way to get the optimum sound out of them (the AF78 is a perfect example). Other earphones must be pushed deep into the for the best sound (like with customs). Well, the R1 is one of those that need an deep insertion. The nozzle is long enough and demands it. Oh, someone asked about the size of the nozzle. Nozzle is somewhere between the size of the W4/SE535 and the FX40. In other words, it's about the diameter of the GR07. So really wide-bore tips won't work, but really tight ones won't work either. The Sony Hybrids should work, but I think the Auveos would be too wide. Actually the stock tips work well (especially the double-flange). But what I have settled on is a long large white Monster foam hybrid. Tames the bass some and pushes it close to (dare I say) a balanced sound. lol... But I wouldn't call the earphones balanced. Close with the right tips, but not quite (yet). And I'm not saying dragon is wrong though. WE ALL HEAR DIFFERENTLY! I'm REALLY liking the R1's sound signature (if that's not coming across yet). 

The R1 and FX40 have different sound signatures, I should add here. I think the R1 has a more refined sound than the FX40. But for raw rock I would go with the FX40. For jazz, some classical and pop I would go with the R1. I think the R1 has more micro details. It's not a repeat in sound signature to have both. 

+1. Nice summary eric. This is pretty much summed up my experience with R1 too. Glad that you enjoy it. I'm thinking about using MEE Balance Tips, maybe it will even things out? Cheers!

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #315 of 794
Quote:

+1. Nice summary eric. This is pretty much summed up my experience with R1 too. Glad that you enjoy it. I'm thinking about using MEE Balance Tips, maybe it will even things out? Cheers!

beerchug.gif
 Thank you dtomo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back