Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #241 of 794
Just got mine and have been listening to them for a while and I have come to really like them.  I tried them with a mix of MP3s and FLAC files and listened to mostly indie rock with them but tried some other genres as well like hip-hop/rap, classical, and some blues.  I am coming from a pair of Klipsch Image S4s and I already prefer the sound of the R1s far more as they took care of most of my complaints with the S4s.  The bass is definitely better and has more depth to it than the Klisch headphones as they only had a single dynamic driver versus the two dynamic drivers found in the R1s.  Some have said the mids are recessed, and while I have to agree, it is not as bad as some have made it out to be and is barely noticeable.  The highs don't have the same sparkle that you get from the klipsch but they are not prone to sibilance which was something that drove me insane with the klipsch as you would notice it in just about every song.  The R1s seem to have a warmer sound and are more laid back than the S4s, whether that is your cup of tea is up to you, but as I am not an audio engineer, I was not looking for something analytical like the Klipsch, so this was better for me.  As others have said they have a pretty big sound stage and live recordings sound amazing because of this, they don't have a lot of depth, but it is enough to make it fell more out of your head than other headphones.  I also found that female vocals did not come through as good as other headphones headphones I have with BA drivers as the dynamic ones lack the speed to keep up with them.  Overall they seem pretty strong regardless of what genre you decide to pump through them and should make for an excellent pair of headphones if you can get the fit right as it took me a little while to figure out the best way to fit them in my ears as they are on the large side for my average sized ears.  For $35 with S&H it is a hard deal to beat so if you are still reading this then get over to mp4nation and buy a pair already as they sound amazing, even more so considering there price, I would have bought these even if they were $50 and still would have been pleased.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #243 of 794
Are you amping the earphone?
What player are you using?
Is that a cellular or an mp3 player with/without loseless support..
Is the volume level enought? thought the specs say its a 96 db ..

I need to know some details :)

I ordered my earphone but really dont expect them to come in a week!
Because here in turkey and whole around the muslim world, wednesday will be the beginning of Korban holiday..
So the post offices wont work.

I think i have at least a week to wait.

BTW, i just listen trance. All i can do is to compare those earphones meelec products.
But i have good expectation..
I hope those would work pretty fine with my HTC HD2 phone :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #244 of 794
Quote:
Are you amping the earphone?
What player are you using?
Is that a cellular or an mp3 player with/without loseless support..
Is the volume level enought? thought the specs say its a 96 db ..

I need to know some details :)

I ordered my earphone but really dont expect them to come in a week!
Because here in turkey and whole around the muslim world, wednesday will be the beginning of Korban holiday..
So the post offices wont work.

I think i have at least a week to wait.

BTW, i just listen trance. All i can do is to compare those earphones meelec products.
But i have good expectation..
I hope those would work pretty fine with my HTC HD2 phone :)

I am using a 160GB Ipod Classic running rockbox playing a mix of FLAC and MP3 to drive them unamped, for me the volume is more than enough and the ipod can get them to painful levels without an amp but I have found rockbox to push more volume to headphones than the original firmware for some reason but my Android smartphone can get them to high sound levels without an amp.  You will get your headphones sooner than you think as I bought mine on a Thursday and got them on a Monday so you might get them this week if they ship soon enough.
Quote:
The S4 are not BA, they are dynamic.

Woops, didn't realize that, I was thinking about my shures at the same time, I will fix my earlier post.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #247 of 794
I just got these R1's this morning. I have been listening it for about 5 hours.. here is my impression:

These are bass monsters. They are 100% on the aggressive side. Coming from the laid-back sound of the SoundMagic E30's, I find it very heavy on the ears. It's amazing for dubstep and hiphop, where bass is essential. But it doesn't really work with Trance.. there is not that much airyness to it.

The sound signature is very similar to JVC FXT90's. It's slightly dark with forwardness and clarity and sparkle on the top. Treble is extended well with no roll-offs. It's got some sparkle but not sibilant. The R1's however have wider soundstage than the FXT90's and way stronger bass impact. In fact, the bass impact is so strong that you can't use them with the comply tips. If you do, it gives you a headache after some listening. 

The mids are not recessed but kind of behind. Due to this, the sound signature is slightly U-ish. I personally don't like this signature, and is the reason why I will be keeping the E30's and will give the R1's to my brother. E30's are more balanced and more laid-back, more resolving, and have better tonal quality. The OP is wrong about being these balanced imho. He persuaded a lot of us including myself buy these, and they're not even anywhere close to being balanced. They are very colored.

The isolation is really good, but at a cost of the comfort. They are not the most comfortable IEM's. I find the M1's and it's variations more comfortable when they are on my ears. E30's are even more comfortable than those 2.

The soundstage is the best part about these headphones. They are wider than e30's, and about 80-90% wide as an Sennheiser IE8. The depth is above average. That's very special for something that retails at $45 USD with free shipping.

Conclusion: Aggresive, Dark-souding IEM's with mids slightly behind, great treble extension and overwhelming bass impact. All this backed up by amazing soundstage. These only work with hip-hop and dubstep, and metal.

It's not that good imo. The sound signature is too metally for my tastes. SoundMagic E30, Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition, and Brainwavz M5 are still the top 3 in this price range. The R1's doesn't take over anything. It's just false hype. Been a long time head-fier. Read a lot and bought a lot.

In ClieOS review, it gives the E30's 3.75, and the M1's 3.4 and the M2's 3.7. I would give the R1's a 3.1

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #248 of 794
I gave them a listen, and to be honest, they sound like crap. It sounds really weak when listening to Linkin Park and Kashiwa Daisuke. I am going to burn these in for a few hours and get back, but initial thoughts (compared to the Image S2ms, they disappoint).

EDIT: I find these bassy, and distorted as well. Everything else feels recessed and a hint of sibilance.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #249 of 794
I just got these R1's this morning. I have been listening it for about 5 hours.. here is my impression:

These are bass monsters. They are 100% on the aggressive side. Coming from the laid-back sound of the SoundMagic E30's, I find it very heavy on the ears. It's amazing for dubstep and hiphop, where bass is essential. But it doesn't really work with Trance.. there is not that much airyness to it.

The sound signature is very similar to JVC FXT90's. It's slightly dark with forwardness and clarity and sparkle on the top. Treble is extended well with no roll-offs. It's got some sparkle but not sibilant. The R1's however have wider soundstage than the FXT90's and way stronger bass impact. In fact, the bass impact is so strong that you can't use them with the comply tips. If you do, it gives you a headache after some listening. 

The mids are not recessed but kind of behind. Due to this, the sound signature is slightly U-ish. I personally don't like this signature, and is the reason why I will be keeping the E30's and will give the R1's to my brother. E30's are more balanced and more laid-back, more resolving, and have better tonal quality. The OP is wrong about being these balanced imho. He persuaded a lot of us including myself buy these, and they're not even anywhere close to being balanced. They are very colored.

The isolation is really good, but at a cost of the comfort. They are not the most comfortable IEM's. I find the M1's and it's variations more comfortable when they are on my ears. E30's are even more comfortable than those 2.

The soundstage is the best part about these headphones. They are wider than e30's, and about 80-90% wide as an Sennheiser IE8. The depth is above average. That's very special for something that retails at $45 USD with free shipping.

Conclusion: Aggresive, Dark-souding IEM's with mids slightly behind, great treble extension and overwhelming bass impact. All this backed up by amazing soundstage. These only work with hip-hop and dubstep, and metal.

It's not that good imo. The sound signature is too metally for my tastes. SoundMagic E30, Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition, and Brainwavz M5 are still the top 3 in this price range. The R1's doesn't take over anything. It's just false hype. Been a long time head-fier. Read a lot and bought a lot.

In ClieOS review, it gives the E30's 3.75, and the M1's 3.4 and the M2's 3.7. I would give the R1's a 3.1

Nice review... right up until you said I was wrong with my opinion of how they sound to you. I have my opinion, and you have yours. I feel they are balanced, you feel they are dark... different opinions, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly don't like what you wrote about me here, it's unfair and, to me, nasty. Be civil, dude, calling someone a lier because they don't agree with you is childish and immature. Grow up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #250 of 794
Quote:
Nice review... right up until you said I was wrong with my opinion of how they sound to you. I have my opinion, and you have yours. I feel they are balanced, you feel they are dark... different opinions, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly don't like what you wrote about me here, it's unfair and, to me, nasty. Be civil, dude, calling someone a lier because they don't agree with you is childish and immature. Grow up.

You grow up. Do you even feel any responsibility in starting a thread and falsely describing a product than what it truly is? Sure you can have your own opinions but you need to maintain a degree of accuracy with your descriptions. The R1's clearly sound overwhelming with bass and that is not even close to anywhere balanced. It's nothing like the HM5.. you probably never even heard them. You misleaded a lot of people here, don't blame on opinions blame it on your lack of experience with sound.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #251 of 794
So do you not feel that the sound will stabilize after burn in?

All I listen to is trance and now I don't know what to do since I have already ordered them yesterday. :frowning2:

Spun out from my RenovateD and NCX'd HTC One X!

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #252 of 794
Okay head-fi family, I received my R1 today. It's been in my ears for about 15 minutes now. Before say I say anything about the sound, let me just say that this is most impressive packaging I have ever seen for $35. It looks as if the packaging is worth $35 on its own.

Okay, at only about 18 minutes now and out of the box, I have to say on the R1 - sound quality-wise - >>>>> FREAKIN' WOW! If you can get it for $35 or under, RUN AND DON'T walk!!! Not going to say much else right now on the sound until further listening, but I will say that the R1 sounds nothing like the M4 (which has a very thin sound to my ears). I, like Dsnuts, is a staunch believer of burn-in, so if the R1 is going to get better from here, well this is an excellent starting point! I'm listening with the stock double-flanges that were on the R1 when I took it out of the box. Must be a large or over-sized medium because the tips fit my ears perfectly. Isolation is wonderful.

And I think the build-quality is quite nice for the price (I actually think it's equal to the FAD Adagio III in build quality, maybe even a little bit better). Okay, that's it for now, but these are a winner to my ears. Happy listening. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #253 of 794
Again, these sound nothing like the M4 to my ears. The R1 sounds much better!!

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #255 of 794
Quote:

You grow up. Do you even feel any responsibility in starting a thread and falsely describing a product than what it truly is? Sure you can have your own opinions but you need to maintain a degree of accuracy with your descriptions. The R1's clearly sound overwhelming with bass and that is not even close to anywhere balanced. It's nothing like the HM5.. you probably never even heard them. You misleaded a lot of people here, don't blame on opinions blame it on your lack of experience with sound.

Wow, you honestly are opionated aren't you? Well, like all of us, you are entitled to them. Why not start your own thread as it seems you think I'm the devil himself.... plus your hurting a good thread here with your childish name calling.... everyone hears things differently, until you learn that, don't review things. Reviewing isn't 'its my way or the highway', it's differing opinions. This is the last time I answer to you, and you weren't even worth me doing this, please go away and leave us civilized folks alone, k? Attack me again and I'll report you....all this over a 35 buck set of IEM'S.... JEEZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back